Have I managed to FUBAR my new drone?

Reaction score
My new P3A arrived this afternoon. First thing, I charged all the batteries. I installed the drone battery and turned on, first, the controller, then the drone. The controller started beeping furiously so I moved the throttle stick up and down and it quit. The light turned green on the controller and the drone flashed yellow. I remembered something from a video about setting the compass so I picked up the drone and slowly turned to my left in my living room as the camera pointed away from me. Next, I pointed the camera down and turned slowly to my left. After a few turns the flashing green light started flashing red furiously. Nothing I did would make it stop so I turned everything off. I connected my Galaxy S5 to the controller and decided to try again. On power up, the controller beeps continuously and DJ Go won't give me the camera button after the drone is on. I've tried 4 times and get the same results. Oddly, DJ Go will give me the camera button for the Inspire but not for the P3A. I guess I'm toast. [emoji37]

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
My new P3A arrived this afternoon. First thing, I charged all the batteries. I installed the drone battery and turned on, first, the controller, then the drone. The controller started beeping furiously so I moved the throttle stick up and down and it quit. The light turned green on the controller and the drone flashed yellow. I remembered something from a video about setting the compass so I picked up the drone and slowly turned to my left in my loving room as the camera pointed away from me. Next, I pointed the camera down and turned slowly to my left. After a few turns the flashing green light started flashing red furiously. Nothing I did would make it stop so I turned everything off. I connected my Galaxy S5 to the controller and decided to try again. On power up, the controller beeps continuously and DJ Go won't give me the camera button after the drone is on. I've tried 4 times and get the same results. Oddly, DJ Go will give me the camera button for the Inspire but not for the P3A. I guess I'm toast. [emoji37]

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you bother with the manual? If I recall correctly, there was an update required right out of the box when I got mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fred, please read the manual and watch the online videos. In saying that you remember seeing in a video to calibrate the drone tells me you are not ready to fly yet. There is a lot you need to learn and asking for a quick answer on this forum will not help you in the long run. You must spend the time to learn about the Phantom.
Good luck

When DJI App appears on screen you sometimes have to scroll down to select your type of phantom...

You do not need to connect the bird to get the firmware, you get that from the download section on website.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

My problem is that I have watched TOO MANY videos. I've read the Quick Start Guide 4 times, I've watched the DJI videos twice, I've sadly watched YouTube videos about previous versions of the drone and that's where I got confused. When I started out, I followed the manual precisely.but the DJ Go app never connected to the controller.so I proceeded like the DJI video said. I attempted to calibrate the compass but the status lights began the flash red very fast so I powered everything down and reread the manual and quick start.The first time, I had tried to use the cable that came with the drone to connect my phone. It would not give me the camera option. So I retrieved a computer interface cable for my phone and used it the second time. When I turned on the controller, it had a red light and beeped continuously. It still will not give me the camera option. The only way to shut it up is to move the throttle up and down. The the beep stops, the light goes green and I can move the camera up and down. But the app still never gives me the camera option. I shut down the app and restarted it. When I scrolled the equipment screen to the Phantom series, it gave me the camera option as I went past the Inspire. It will bring up the camera screen on that but it isn't connected of course. I moved on to the Phantom series and selected the P3A but still no camera option. Is there a way to reset the controller and start over?

Last edited:
You do not need to connect the bird to get the firmware, you get that from the download section on website.

Yeah, found that on Sunday afternoon and downloaded everything on the page. I'm just afraid I'll brick the bird if I try to upgrade anything before I get it working on what it came with.

Reactions: Oso
My problem is that I have watched TOO MANY videos. I've read the Quick Start Guide 4 times, I've watched the DJI videos twice, I've sadly watched YouTube videos about previous versions of the drone and that's where I got confused. When I started out, I followed the manual precisely.but the DJ Go app never connected to the controller.so I proceeded like the DJI video said. I attempted to calibrate the compass but the status lights began the flash red very fast so I powered everything down and reread the manual an quick start.The first time, I had tried to use the cable that came with the drone to connect my phone. It would not give me the camera option. So I retrieved a computer interface cable for my phone and used it the second time. When I turned on the controller, it had a red light and beeped continuously. It still will not give me the camera option. The only way to shut it up is to move the throttle up and down. The the beep stops, the light goes green and I can move the camera up and down. But the app still never gives me the camera option. I shut down the app and restarted it. When I scrolled the equipment screen to the Phantom series, it gave me the camera option as I went past the Inspire. It will bring up the camera screen on that but it isn't connected of course. I moved on to the Phantom series and selected the P3A but still no camera option. Is there a way to reset the controller and start over?

I don't think that the update I'm talking about has to be done through the app.. when I got mine, I had to download an update to the sd card directly from dji's site.. just YouTube dji phantom firmware update. I had to update both bird and remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: snakeeyes0269
Yeah, found that on Sunday afternoon and downloaded everything on the page. I'm just afraid I'll brick the bird if I try to upgrade anything before I get it working on what it came with.

It's easy.. won't brick it

Good man. Get what you have working first before changing anything. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. Please decide what's best for you.

Also, if you haven't had time yet please read the list of tips I sent you on Friday.

Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
One thing that tripped me up was the fact that I upgraded from the standard. He standard connects to ur mobile device through wifi, the advanced and up have to be connected with an actual cable.. could that be it?

the DJ Go app never connected to the controller.
Is your mobile device set to USB Debugging and MTP mode instead of just charging mode?

If not, you can try this:
Go into Settings->About Phone or Settings->About Phone->Software info and tap on the “Build number” 5 times until it says, “You have enabled developer options”.

Next, tap the back button and you should have a new menu option called, “Developer option”. Tap on that and enable “USB Debugging”.

Next, plug a USB cable from your Phantom 3 controller to your Android device then open up DJI GO app. If it doesn't work, swipe down from the top of the screen and change USB connection settings to MTP and try it again.

You also may need to try a few different cables.

Reactions: JoBe
My problem is that I have watched TOO MANY videos. I've read the Quick Start Guide 4 times, I've watched the DJI videos twice, I've sadly watched YouTube videos about previous versions of the drone and that's where I got confused. When I started out, I followed the manual precisely.but the DJ Go app never connected to the controller.so I proceeded like the DJI video said. I attempted to calibrate the compass but the status lights began the flash red very fast so I powered everything down and reread the manual an quick start.The first time, I had tried to use the cable that came with the drone to connect my phone. It would not give me the camera option. So I retrieved a computer interface cable for my phone and used it the second time. When I turned on the controller, it had a red light and beeped continuously. It still will not give me the camera option. The only way to shut it up is to move the throttle up and down. The the beep stops, the light goes green and I can move the camera up and down. But the app still never gives me the camera option. I shut down the app and restarted it. When I scrolled the equipment screen to the Phantom series, it gave me the camera option as I went past the Inspire. It will bring up the camera screen on that but it isn't connected of course. I moved on to the Phantom series and selected the P3A but still no camera option. Is there a way to reset the controller and start over?
Do not try to calibrate the compass inside as you will probably be near a lot of magnetic interference. It should be done outside away from anything. Preferably in an open field or yard. I believe all of this is covered in the manual. Did you download the manual PDF and read it a couple times?
It sounds like you need to calibrate your controller.
The issue with you not being able to see the camera view could be the cable, use the one that came with the P3A. If that is not it, it is probably the device you are using. What mobile device are you using? I am betting it is an Android device. It is common.
Try uninstalling the DJI GO app and reinstalling it.

Is your mobile device set to USB Debugging and MTP mode instead of just charging mode?

If not, you can try this:
Go into Settings->About Phone or Settings->About Phone->Software info and tap on the “Build number” 5 times until it says, “You have enabled developer options”.

Next, tap the back button and you should have a new menu option called, “Developer option”. Tap on that and enable “USB Debugging”.

Next, plug a USB cable from your Phantom 3 controller to your Android device then open up DJI GO app. If it doesn't work, swipe down from the top of the screen and change USB connection settings to MTP and try it again.

You also may need to try a few different cables.
That is if he is using an Android device. Enabling is not required. Actually DJI says to NOT enable debugging with the newest firmware.

Do not try to calibrate the compass inside as you will probably be near a lot of magnetic interference. It should be done outside away from anything. Preferably in an open field or yard. I believe all of this is covered in the manual. Did you download the manual PDF and read it a couple times?
It sounds like you need to calibrate your controller.
The issue with you not being able to see the camera view could be the cable, use the one that came with the P3A. If that is not it, it is probably the device you are using. What mobile device are you using? I am betting it is an Android device. It is common.
Try uninstalling the DJI GO app and reinstalling it.

I think it is the Galaxy S5. I've tried two different cables but no luck. The crazy thing is it will give me the camera option on any of the Inspire versions, Raw Pro or Standard. Of course, they don't work. I have an iPad Mini 2 that will be here the 19th so I guess I'll have to wait.

It didn't make any difference so I turned it back off. I couldn't get it to do anything except charging anyway.
After plugging in the device to the remote and turning the remote on, DO NOT START THE APP YET,swipe down from the top of your device screen. It should show a USB icon and say charging. Tap that notification and a menu should show giving you USB options. Choose MIDI or file transfer. THEN start the app.

Got the latest firmware installed on the controller and the bird. The text file said they both installed successfully so I'm one up there.

I don't understand why the controller beeps continuously until I move a joystick. None of the videos even mentioned that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl