Has the Compass Calibration Process changed?

Reaction score
The following pictures show the compass calibration process, step 1 (horizontal) and step 2 (vertical). Please check the step 2 process, it was used to be that the camera should pointing downwards, but in the picture, the camera is pointing sideways - IS THIS CORRECT?
Compass1.jpg
Compass2.jpg

Seams like ugly things would happen with the camera sideways. Pg 57 of the manual says to point the camera down in text and pictures

Compas cal.JPG

If you use Litchi and calibrate the compass it tells you to do it with the camera pointing downwards. The first time I tried to calibrate using Go 4 it failed every time because I didn't know the camera needed to point downwards. Once I used Litchi it calibrated the first attempt.

Unbelievable (or may be not), last night I contacted DJI live chat, about the compass calibration process, and she said that it is correct (camera must be pointing sideways).
Today, I contacted them again, with the same question, about the process of compass calibration, and he said that the drawing shown on the DJI GO 4 app is wrong. The correct vertical calibration is when the camera is pointing downwards.

Camera downward. There's only a handful of people at DJI who understand how the compass works and none of them are in support. And that doesn't stop support from spreading bad information. Everything you need for the compass is here:

Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

How often should you calibrate the compass?

On my p3a, I used to calibrate before every single flight. So far done 120 flights with no issues.

But something I read about the p4p said only calibrate when your told to.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

ANSWER FROM DJI SUPPORT:

Hello,

please do point the unit with the camera facing down.
Basicly it will make no difference for the compass. But it is better for the gimbal to hold downwards.

How often should you calibrate the compass?

On the P4, my practice was to re-calibrate only if necessary (if I noticed some glitch) or if I moved to a location over 50 miles. The important thing is to calibrate in an open area, out of range of any magnetic interference (power lines, concrete structures etc).

I expect to follow a similar routine with the P4P unless I find out I need a change in habits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen