Has Me Concerned!

As much as I don't like the idea I can see why DJI are heading in this direction. UAV restrictions will cripple their market- implementing systems that may persuade legislators that illegal operations will be restricted (operators fears of detection) and making enforcement actions easier may keep them in the game.

Reactions: BigAl07
imho......if dji implements " license plates".....it will be their demise as far as recreational/hobby drones go. a well written terms of agreement and acknowledgement from the end user when they register the uav should suffice. let "the powers to be" police the users that step outside the rules accordingly. car manufacturers dont (yet) make cars that dont/wont break the rules of the road.

This is no different than a license tag on your car. The other 10,000 cars on the road can't tell anything about you from your tag. But if you are doing dumb, the cops can

DJI is thinking out of the box a bit, to get in front of all of the regional laws that are starting to pop up

Once such unique ID is implemented, next step would be to identify and block flying for suspected drone by security officials.

Who knows this could be a good move to protect from bad elements.

Sure it is, my license plate on my car doesn't transmit.

I have my registration side on the side of the bird, that is like the plate on my car.

If you want to put a tag sized registration on your drone, you might be good. Traffic cams and cameras in cop cars read your tag without any human intervention. They mail you tickets, and pop up issues in the cops on board computer. The difference is only semantics

And then again, it will probably be only be another 5 minutes or so, before cars start transmitting too

If you want to put a tag sized registration on your drone, you might be good. Traffic cams and cameras in cop cars read your tag without any human intervention. They mail you tickets, and pop up issues in the cops on board computer. The difference is only semantics

And then again, it will probably be only be another 5 minutes or so, before cars start transmitting too

Actually I am pretty good with the numbers I have on my drone and not having anything else. Ok, in reality I am not really good with that but ya know "government is here to help us" types keep voting for the wrong people.

I don't believe in traffic cameras and license plate readers, but people today seem to believe we need to be surveilled at every turn so we behave.

Even professionals or so called professionals stretch the rules and the so called pros, don't know all the rules.

They do huh? You must know several professional UAV operators to have such a knowledge base.

Here's my opinion, which I rarely state. People opposed to this, are people not playing by the rules. If you played by the rules and had no reason to break regs, you would have zero issues with this system.

Looks as if it could happen very easily. Update the aircrafts, and offer receivers for sale to local law enforcement. You rule breakers are just going to have to find out who has receivers:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Once such unique ID is implemented, next step would be to identify and block flying for suspected drone by security officials.

Who knows this could be a good move to protect from bad elements.
They do huh? You must know several professional UAV operators to have such a knowledge base, or better, your just talking ....................

Here's my opinion, which I rarely state. People opposed to this, are people not playing by the rules. If you played by the rules and had no reason to break regs, you would have zero issues with this system.

Looks as if it could happen very easily. Update the aircrafts, and offer receivers for sale to local law enforcement. You rule breakers are just going to have to find out who has receivers:)

This is where you are wrong. I am just a regular Drone Consumer and Hobbyist. I am a retired Air Traffic Controller, so I know a little bit about aviation rules and airspace! Hell, I know allot about the rules and airspace. So please don't talk down to me, like I don't know what I'm talking about.

The issues here are those people who ignore the rules, kind of like BAD Drivers who speed thru school zones! They could care less about the laws and rules and just keep on keeping on! This is why so many things are changing in the drone industry. People violate the rules and that is where we are today.

The problem with this technology is it can be abused and misused to gain knowledge for the government, which I am totally opposed too. Fortunately, I live in a quiet rural area and fly my Phantoms by the rules. The only thing I really have to worry about is low flying crop dusters!

We will see where this issue goes with DJI and how the authorities view it.

Even professionals or so called professionals stretch the rules and the so called pros, don't know all the rules.

Well that's not shining a very favorable light on those of us who DO follow the rules.

Here's my opinion: I don't want more rules because I am against more governmental intrusion in my life. I don't "break the regs" but I have way more than zero issue with the system.

Actually I am pretty good with the numbers I have on my drone and not having anything else. Ok, in reality I am not really good with that but ya know "government is here to help us" types keep voting for the wrong people.

I don't believe in traffic cameras and license plate readers, but people today seem to believe we need to be surveilled at every turn so we behave.

I don't believe in traffic cameras and license plate readers either. Far from it. I believe in LESS government. A LOT less government. But what you are missing here, is the government DID NOT propose this plan. Let me repeat for effect.

What you are missing here, is the government DID NOT propose this plan.

DJI did.

Why? Precisely because of the bigger MORE government plan. Multi Rotor Derangement Syndrome (MRDS) is pervasive in society. All across the world, entire countries are making it nearly impossible to fly a drone. Counties, cities, states in the US have, or are in the process of, passing more and more of these MRDS laws. Left unchecked, we will all be relegated to flying only at AMA fields.

DJI is trying to be proactive by giving the MRDS crowd something different to hang their hat on, other than another new MRDS law

How would this be any different than if the FAA required ADB transponders on our aircraft like most of the other stuff in the air?

While I am not in favor of our nanny-state government possibly knowing when and when my drone is in the air, I understand why a manufacturer would want to be proactive in trying to head off more restrictions on the use of their products.

All you have to do is look through the forum to find regular posts by people ignoring the rules and guidelines. The odds are that this will never cause a crash, but if it ever does, we will see regulation and control like never before.

I prefer self-policing to relegating that to our government...

I don't believe in traffic cameras and license plate readers either. Far from it. I believe in LESS government. A LOT less government. But what you are missing here, is the government DID NOT propose this plan. Let me repeat for effect.

What you are missing here, is the government DID NOT propose this plan.

DJI did.

Why? Precisely because of the bigger MORE government plan. Multi Rotor Derangement Syndrome (MRDS) is pervasive in society. All across the world, entire countries are making it nearly impossible to fly a drone. Counties, cities, states in the US have, or are in the process of, passing more and more of these MRDS laws. Left unchecked, we will all be relegated to flying only at AMA fields.

DJI is trying to be proactive by giving the MRDS crowd something different to hang their hat on, other than another new MRDS law
You can take the condescending elsewhere.

My view on this: I live in a society that in many ways doesn't see things the same way I do vis a vis freedom, liberty, and personal responsibility. As a result, my liberty is often curtailed unnecessarily and unfairly, people are often held to some degree of responsibility for behavior of others they have no control over, at the same time those behaving poorly are often absolved of some or all responsibility for that behavior.

So, given that, what to do? Simply railing and fulminating against these restrictions will not make it better. Defying the rules and restrictions will with certainty simply make it worse too.

Rather, I choose to take a practical approach, and put my energies into working with society as best I can to accomodate social "needs" regarding this hobby while supporting means to do that that minimize the limitation of my own liberty.

In that spirit, I am very supportive of these sorts of technologies. If Big Brother being able to know when I fly and track it at all times means I will be able to fly in more places and with less restriction, I'm for it -- because it also means getting the baddies out of the air much more effectively, keeping them from screwing it up FOR ME.

I understand the concern that such measures will instead result in greater flying restrictions. For responsible pilots, I simply disagree that this will be the result. I think measures like this are the best means we have for keeping as much freedom in the skies for responsible sUAV pilots, as broad-based "hit everyone with a club" methods will not be necessary to keep the bad guys under control.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31