has anyonr tried 3 blade props?

It's best to only use DJI props. Flying with those could result in a crash. Be careful.

I assumed that msinger, its the risk we all take, but I am that devil that likes to try. so aside from DJI only namebrand stuff, has it been tried? if not I am willing to give it a shot. R&D stops for these things when marketing pushes new lines, and modifications with R/C devices is a lot of fun in my book :)

I don't know, but I am willing to try :) I 3d print the frames when I crash them that bad :) it may be a bad idea but who knows :) Also I LOVE your site, those are some nicely sorted tips and mods.

Reactions: msinger
KA BOOM that answered that

If your end goal is just to experiment with props, then have at it. I don't think you're going to like the results though. If they were better than stock props, DJI would be using them now. They clearly want to get the best possible performance out of their products.

I see on your site you have balanced props? whats the advantage of those?

I assumed that msinger, its the risk we all take, but I am that devil that likes to try. so aside from DJI only namebrand stuff, has it been tried? if not I am willing to give it a shot. R&D stops for these things when marketing pushes new lines, and modifications with R/C devices is a lot of fun in my book :)

More is not better. In fact more blades = less efficiency.

It's not a matter of the need to further R&D. Propellers are well understood devices.
The application of 3 or more blade props is to reduce disc diameter, something the Phantom does not require so why pay the efficiency penalty?

The propulsion systems on your quad are tuned. That is to say the ESC f/w, motors, and props are optimized for the Phantom.

I see on your site you have balanced props?
I guess you mean prop balancers? Balanced props spin more effortlessly -- creating less stress on the motors, making less work for the gimbal, etc.

You guys are real helpful, thank you so much :). when it comes to props, I'm not so hot, but the electronics and the programming side of things is a very different story. thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

so I ran across something like this.. 2pairs DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus 9443 Self-Locking Foldable CF 3-Blade Propeller

I was wondering if these props are pretty good, or bad? if anyone has tried them and if so what was it like?

The Good..
They look Fkn cool and it gets you laid!!!
Only good for fast launches as you don't need to install props. You launch before the sats locks.
They last longer as the fold on impact.

The Bad..
Heavy and inefficient - need to adjust gain settings as too many props will thin the air and hence less grip.
Causes jello if you don't know how to adjust the screws - too tight and the props wont centrifugally fold out, too loose and they will fall off.
They are expensive also.

Overall: Rubbish!!!

Stick to the OEMs.

20141023_010255_Maxwells%20Ave.jpg

3%20leaf%20foldable%202.jpg

They clearly want to get the best possible performance out of their products.
Within the constraints of the budget, of course. ;)

did try pair of carbon fiber ones last weekend gave bird more of a pitch when flying

Reactions: mrcrane2u
Not to start any kind of negative feed, but for the same reason we have so many updates. They probably just haven't the time to get to the trouble of testing. Or like the car industry was slow to adopt synthetic oils.
I don't know. Phantoms have been around for many years. If a three blade prop was truly superior, why is DJI (and all of its competitors) holding back on us?

Right, It's not just DJI using two blades.

More is not always better.

There are reasons for using more blades mostly for clearance issues which is not a problem here, so why pay the penalties?

I get folks want to tinker but don't discount those before who have tried the same in the past.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic