Has anyone tried this FPV/Telemetry setup?

Reaction score
A Spektrum DX8 controller, with a TM1000 receiver (would have to swap the existing DJI receiver out), and a telemetry module. This would be for a Phantom 2, video from a GoPro 3+ Black

The controller and receiver is supposedly much better than the stock DJI pairing in terms of range and connection.

The Spekrum DX8 has settable alarms, so I could really keep an eye on my battery levels, etc.

I'm not married to this either, so if you have a better idea/system, let me know. Either way, tell me what you think.

Thanks!

I don't think the Naza inside the Phantom 2 supports traditional PWM inputs. You would need to use a receiver that supports S-Bus and I don't think that any of the Spektrum receivers do this.

rilot said:
I don't think the Naza inside the Phantom 2 supports traditional PWM inputs. You would need to use a receiver that supports S-Bus and I don't think that any of the Spektrum receivers do this.

Good to know. What is PWM? Is that the protocol the Spektrum receiver uses (as opposed to S-bus)?

I see a lot of videos on YouTube with people putting spektrum receivers in their phantoms, but the application always seems a little different, which is why I'm still cloudy on this.

Thanks for the input.

PWM is what's usually referred to as traditional inputs. One connection per channel. S-Bus sends all the channels down one wire.
I see plenty of people with Phantom 1s using Spektrum but that had a full Naza inside that supports PWM inputs. I've not seen anyone with a P2 and a Spektrum transmitter and receiver though.
I do know of one person using an Orange receiver that works with Spektrum but also supports S-Bus too. I wouldn't trust my craft with Orange gear though.

rilot said:
PWM is what's usually referred to as traditional inputs. One connection per channel. S-Bus sends all the channels down one wire.
I see plenty of people with Phantom 1s using Spektrum but that had a full Naza inside that supports PWM inputs. I've not seen anyone with a P2 and a Spektrum transmitter and receiver though.
I do know of one person using an Orange receiver that works with Spektrum but also supports S-Bus too. I wouldn't trust my craft with Orange gear though.
Ahh- that explains why I've seen so many Phantoms on YouTube with the DX8, but no Phantom 2s. I assumed incorrectly the P2s would have the same compatibility.
Thanks for straightening me out on that. Guess my DX8 will be going on eBay.

rilot said:
Does your FrSky Taranis work with the stock DJI receiver in your P2? Is it a lot better than the stock DJI controller?

How well does your iOSD perform?

Thanks!

DattaGroover said:
rilot said:
Does your FrSky Taranis work with the stock DJI receiver in your P2? Is it a lot better than the stock DJI controller?

Thanks!

No, you need to replace the internal receiver from the stock DJI to the X8R, but yes the FrSky Taranis is much better than the stock DJI tx.

GhostMaster said:
DattaGroover said:
rilot said:

Thanks!

No, you need to replace the internal receiver from the stock DJI to the X8R, but yes the FrSky Taranis is much better than the stock DJI tx.
Got it. But then unlike the Spektrum, the X8R is compatible with the iOSD, is that correct?

DattaGroover said:
Got it. But then unlike the Spektrum, the X8R is compatible with the iOSD, is that correct?

IOSD is for telemetry data overlay, any tx will work with it, you only need to connect the video out from camera to the IOSD and connect the OSD video out to the video transmitter.

But yes X8R works perfectly fine with both Phantom 1 or 2, no interference of any kind.

GhostMaster said:
DattaGroover said:

IOSD is for telemetry data overlay, any tx will work with it, you only need to connect the video out from camera to the IOSD and connect the OSD video out to the video transmitter.

But yes X8R works perfectly fine with both Phantom 1 or 2, no interference of any kind.
Okay, thanks for reminding me. I was confused.

So it's that some of the tx (like the Spektrum) won't work with the P2.

DattaGroover said:
GhostMaster said:
DattaGroover said:

Okay, thanks for reminding me. I was confused.

So it's that some of the tx (like the Spektrum) won't work with the P2.
I notice the Tyrannis X9D comes in a mode 1 and a mode 2 (same price). Do you kow what the difference is? (I would use this with a P2 with a Zenmuse H3-3D)

DattaGroover said:
I notice the Tyrannis X9D comes in a mode 1 and a mode 2 (same price). Do you kow what the difference is? (I would use this with a P2 with a Zenmuse H3-3D)

For RC controllers, Mode 2 means throttle is on the left stick by default (like on the Phantom controller), mode 1 means it's on the right stick by default, all other axis are the same between mode 1 and 2. This chart shows the stick assignments that define the 4 common modes:

Mode-1-VS-Mode-2-Large.png

OI Photography said:
For RC controllers, Mode 2 means throttle is on the left stick by default (like on the Phantom controller), mode 1 means it's on the right stick by default, all other axis are the same between mode 1 and 2. This chart shows the stick assignments that define the 4 common modes:
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31