Has anyone tried these micro SD cards Brands Mart is selling

Reaction score
Brands Mart has these micro SD cards on sale for their 4th of July sale, has anyone tried these?

644877698dbc68ec56501debfe395845.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I haven't heard anything about that particular brand.

You may be aware of this already, but off brand cards have a reputation for severely over-stating their capacity. A 32GB card, for example, will read 32GB on your device, but will only hold 8GB of data. They have a way of tampering with the location on the card that stores its capacity data. Again... I have no familiarity with that brand.

Additional simplistic information you didn't ask for.... Mine started going wonky over time. I read that reformatting them can fix that. It's worked every time for me.

Reactions: AlecRenart
A 32GB card, for example, will read 32GB on your device, but will only hold 8GB of data. They have a way of tampering with the location on the card that stores its capacity data.
I'm not buying that story. I've used generic cards for years & have never seen that happen.

OP, Those cards are probably fine. I use Micro Center branded cards in my P3P without issue.

Brands Mart has these micro SD cards on sale for their 4th of July sale, has anyone tried these?

644877698dbc68ec56501debfe395845.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not a genius about memory cards but I think it's worth doing some investigating before buying them in order to determine their suitability which would include their read/write speeds. For example, the P4 has a maximum write speed of 60Mbps so you want a card that can read at least that fast. When a card can write fast it means it’s quicker to copy data from the card.

SanDisk has some good info for us consumers at:
SanDisk® Global Customer Care - Welcome! - (Memory Cards)
One of the links on that page explains speed ratings:
Difference between Speed Class, UHS Speed Class, and Speed Ratings (performance) for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards

It can be important to understand the difference between Speed Class and Speed Rating, for example, and SanDisk discusses this. It’s important to pick cards that meet or exceed the requirements for their intended use. If the literature for a given card does not specify the ratings or the specified ratings are incomplete or not in line with what I believe I need for the intended use I won’t buy that card.

ThunderDog, BTW, appears to be a trademark for Schoenfeld International Inc.
THUNDERDOG Trademark of Schoenfeld International Inc. - Registration Number 4340074 - Serial Number 85978818 :: Justia Trademarks
They probably just stick the ThunderDog name on memory cards they source from one or more manufacturers.

Sometimes I will Google around for test results from someone who has performed actual measurements of the transfer rates of different cards.

HTH.

If you Google, "fake capacity micro sd cards," you'll see many articles about them.

Here are a few:
HappyBison.com: tech, research and bison
Beware of fake microSD cards! Here's how to tell a counterfeit from the original
US Seller Fraud - Fake Capacity Flash Drives and SD Cards

Again... not saying that's the case with these, but it's something to look out for. I first learned about them when I noticed a company selling 64GB cards for the same price other companies were selling 32GB cards for.

I'm guessing a lot of folks never push the capacity, and never realize they've been cheated.

Reactions: AlecRenart
As a semi-serious photographer, cheap cards are risky option. Why would you go cheap on your "film"?

Reactions: auen1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr