Has anyone tried loading P3P firmware onto a P3A?

It's not such an unheard of business practice for companies to sell identical hardware, yet rebadge them, and software limit functionality across models. It's likely economies of scale for them to utilize the same camera, but have enough differentiation between the models for someone to decide if they want to upgrade to a higher spec'd model or not (thereby making the P3P more profitable, but having a sub-$1000 option also). It makes total business sense. Of course, that smaller delta between model hurts a bit more for those of us who spent an additional $259 for the difference between 2.7K and 4K. Still happy I've got 4K though.
That's the point. Nothing strange if the hw is the same, many companies do that moreover DJI has already done with naza as i wrote.

Reactions: Australis5
See post #9 in
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2458896
It says that there is a hardware difference, the PCB is same but assembly would be different.
But still no pic of the advance PCB.

Oh yess, P3A camera misses TI DSP ... but has same Ambarella A9 chip. So the fw section of the P3A misses code for TI chip in section [08 00]. Interesting....
This means that it uses only internal Ambarella FPGA DSP (digital signal processor) for video encoding.

Apparently yes, the gimbal defines the version. But the fan may be the same, just missing on that first picture! I have a P3 Advanced and it has a fan:

View attachment 29909
I looked in the gimbal of my P3A and it doesn't have a fan, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the fan on the P3P is blowing on. It's up against the casing so it isn't blowing into the gimbal, is it blowing up into the drone and if so where is it pulling air from? I guess it could just be trying to vent heat from the aluminum casing?

Pretty common to see fans blowing on a heatsink. I have stereo equipment the same way. Components are mounted against the case/heatsink and the fan cools the heatsink.

If it was open the camera would be full of bugs :eek:

Pretty common to see fans blowing on a heatsink. I have stereo equipment the same way. Components are mounted against the case/heatsink and the fan cools the heatsink.

If it was open the camera would be full of bugs :eek:

Or maybe away from it?

Put a piece of tissue by the fan. Does it blow away from it or get sucked in?

What spins the fan? I don't see anywhere that it plugs in or would connect via shaft.
Its hard to see, but in the bottom left corner of the P3A photo (without the fan) there is a small hole for the tiny power wires to feed through.

Reactions: JoBe
Or maybe away from it?

Put a piece of tissue by the fan. Does it blow away from it or get sucked in?
Blows towards heatsink.

Under the hood there are two different board chip from Ambarella. The firmware update process is managed by the camera chip, that's why p3a fw can't be installed on p3p and vice versa ... To make it easy, the firmware is linked to the camera installed, not to the aircraft.

What gimbal is in Phantom 3 4K?

What gimbal is in Phantom 3 4K?

The gimbal and camera are the same of P3Pro, that's for sure, but different tx/rx module (no lightbridge) ... I don't see any firmware for P34k on the Dji site...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj