Has anyone travelled inernationally with the Phantom?

Reaction score
I'm heading to New Zealand soon and wanted to take the phantom for scenery and snowboarding shots. Just wondering if anyone has taken the phantom internationally and if so can you carry it on a hand luggage? I checked and the phantom case scrapes in on the size you are allowed to take as hand luggage. Ive checked with both customs in Australia and new Zealand with a response only from NZ. I would be a bit upset if it was confiscated, so I may just have to use a gopole. :?

Don't know about international but I took mine across country as carry on. I wouldn't think it would be a problem though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the LIPO batteries could cause the most issues flying so have a good look into how the airline wants you to handle these. I have brought a big rc heli from Thailand to Aus once in its original box as checked baggage. It was a POS heli lol but had no issues bringing it home with AIR asia, the box was about 1.3m long but not heavy with no excess luggage charged.

I wonder about the carry on for these so id love to hear how people have gone with it. My last trio to the Phillipines I caught about 8 flights and had my LIPO powered dive lights in my carry on, the batteries aren't removable and sealed inside. Each airport scan I had to show them what it was and explain wtf they were but there was no issue with them being stored in my carry on.

Dont know what they would say about a bunch of lipo's or if there is a limit but if in the LIPO safe bags they should be fine as carry on. I dont think you are allowed to have them in checked baggage onky safely stored as carry on.

Thanks that's good info that you can't check it in, only as carry-on. I was assuming the opposite. I'm flying across the country next week and bought a hard case to transport everything including the batteries. Hopefully there won't be any problems...

You should always check with the Airlines your flying as some may be different but all the ones I have flown only allowed LiPo batteries as carry on. I guess its safer if they catch fire where people can see it rather then in a baggage hold where a small fire could take down the plane but could be avoided if smoke is seen coming out of a carry on locker.

Some Airlines may not even allow some batteries on board and to Japan I am not allowed to bring my underwater video lights as the batteries aren't removable and the airlines I checked out dont allow these so each country and Airline may have a different policy. These should be easy enough to find along with conditions of travel on their websites or you can always give them a call just to make sure your good to go rather then finding out the hard way once you get to the airport or worse still in another country getting onto another Airline.

I'm just back from 3 week trip involving 6 flights. I put the quad in the hold but carried the 5 lipos in lipo fire bags, with the connectors tapped over in my hand luggage. Most airlines request you carry them in hand luggage.

On each security check they where thoroughly checked and I had to answer questions (fun in more basic airports) each time, but overall no problems at all.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/planning-a ... rous-goods :eek:

Spare lithium ion batteries with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100Wh but not exceeding 160Wh for consumer electronic devices. Maximum of two spare batteries may be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

All Spare Batteries for Consumer Electronic Devices
All spare batteries for consumer electronic devices must be carried in carry-on baggage only. They must be individually protected to prevent short circuit using one of the following:
In original retail packaging;
Taping over exposed terminals;
Placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch.

From Transport Canada guidelines:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/lithium-bat ... -1162.html

As a passenger, may I carry lithium batteries on an aircraft?

Yes, you should carry spare lithium batteries or lithium batteries contained in equipment—like your cell phone, laptop or tablet—with you in your carry-on baggage.

Important Notes:
• You must insulate the terminals to protect them from short circuit.
• Do not leave spare lithium batteries loose in your bag.
• Never pack spare lithium batteries into your checked baggage.
• Check with your air carrier if you plan on carrying lithium batteries contained in equipment in your checked baggage.
• Never carry or check damaged lithium batteries onto an aircraft.

Thanks a lot for all the responses. From what I can gather only the lithium batteries are the only problem. And if the airline is aware and the batteries are taped and safely stored (gopro case) then there should be no problems. I have checked with the airlines im flying with and they said that if it is too big for carry on then it will be checked as extra luggage, I would have to transport the batteries in carry on safely. I hope there will be no problems, New Zealand has some amazing landscapes. Crossing fingers :roll:

I carry 5 phantom batteries on carry on. No problem. The quantity restrictions are on larger batteries.

I read about one guy who had his compass become defective when his luggage was scanned. He recommended wrapping tin foil around compass to get some protection from it happening again.

I carry 6 batteries with me on flights no bother. 100+wh is a bigger battery than you'll take on a phantom I think.

I have just traveled from Vancouver Canada to Bangkok no question about the 5 batteries in zip lock bags one in each.just a quick look in the phantom carry on case because screen er had never seen one before.I have not had any fights yet but will post if any issues.I flew on Japan air.a couple of years ago on China eastern air they made us go thou customs and wanted to take away my batteries in my carry on

Been through Japan recently and New Zealand, no problems as long as your lipos are in a fire safe bag in your travel on luggage. I have the phantom in it's case and a small backpack with laptop and camera gear.

Can I travel through international airport with thé DJI Phantom in his original box as luggage? I wanna buy it in paris, and then travel with it to Nepal

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie