Has anyone taken the vps system off of the phantom 3 ??

So, it's a 3 layer board, with the bottom two layers devoted to VPS and the top layer to Lightbridge, where the bottom two layers can be removed, without affecting Lightbridge?
The VPS or if i recall correctly named by DJI as the optical flow board is seperate to the OFDM TX board. I dont know if you can fly without it but it is seperate. Just needs 5V and a can bus connection from the tx board to be removed and its out.

The VPS or if i recall correctly named by DJI as the optical flow board is seperate to the OFDM TX board. I dont know if you can fly without it but it is seperate. Just needs 5V and a can bus connection from the tx board to be removed and its out.
Cool! Since you can turn VPS "OFF" on the P3P, removing it shouldn't pose a problem, as long as the Lightbridge system still remains intact.

Cool! Since you can turn VPS "OFF" on the P3P, removing it shouldn't pose a problem, as long as the Lightbridge system still remains intact.
This is an old thread started when it was incorrectly assumed that VPS/Lightbridge were not separate boards. There are other more recent threads with pictures, etc.

If I recall correctly from back when it first became known that the boards were indeed separate, the guys who removed the VPS board noted that when it was turned "off" in the app it wasn't fully powered down. They were pulling it to save power more than to save weight.

An important note is that since the FW looks for the VPS module when you are updating, the VPS module needs to be put back on until the update is complete. It can then be safely removed again.

Disclaimer - I havent removed my VPS, so I am just recalling the other posts from people who have successfully removed theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and GadgetGuy
This is an old thread started when it was incorrectly assumed that VPS/Lightbridge were not separate boards. There are other more recent threads with pictures, etc.

If I recall correctly from back when it first became known that the boards were indeed separate, the guys who removed the VPS board noted that when it was turned "off" in the app it wasn't fully powered down. They were pulling it to save power more than to save weight. An important note is that since the FW looks for the VPS module when you are updating, the VPS module needs to be put back on until the update is complete. It can then be safely removed again.

Disclaimer - I havent removed my VPS, so I am just recalling the other posts from people who have successfully removed theirs.
Much like the original P4 GL300C remote has to be used for firmware updates on the P4, even if you use a GL300A for flying! DJI apparently designs their updates to check for the presence of all stock equipment first!

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Much like the original P4 GL300C remote has to be used for firmware updates on the P4, even if you use a GL300A for flying! DJI apparently designs their updates to check for the presence of all stock equipment first!
Good to know this thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31