Has anyone had to use their GPS tracker

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of posts where people have fitted a tracker but I can't recall any posts where someone has lost their quad and its been found using one? Any takers as I am considering fitting one myself but have nagging doubts about them working?

I have a TK102B on mine and I hope I never need to use it :D . I always put a fresh battery in before my first flight of the day and call it before I take off to make sure it txts me back with its current location.

To me it is better to have it than not having it. The only down side for me with the TK102B is that it weighs 55g and that takes my total Phantom weight to 1360g which is a bit over the 1350g specified max take off weight (less than 1% over so not too worried).

I will use this until I can find something better and lighter.

xgeek said:
I have a TK102B on mine and I hope I never need to use it :D . I always put a fresh battery in before my first flight of the day and call it before I take off to make sure it txts me back with its current location.

To me it is better to have it than not having it. The only down side for me with the TK102B is that it weighs 55g and that takes my total Phantom weight to 1360g which is a bit over the 1350g specified max take off weight (less than 1% over so not too worried).

I have the same tracker and it's the same story for me. I have tested it quite a few times and found the GPS tracking is very accurate, but the GSM tracking is quite bad.

I haven't needed to use it to find my Phantom yet. My only concern is how well the tracker will survive a crash. If it does, I should be fine finding it. The mod for the P2 to fit it internally looks like it would really help with that, but I have a P 1.1.1 so I can't really do something similar.

Well being safe rather than sorry is always a good path to follow. So many people have them fitted now and I have hovered over buying one several times. Then it struck me that I have never seen a report of one working. Makes me think that flyaways are even rarer than I already think they are.

It could be of course that those who fit trackers are careful pilots anyway and don't suffer such a loss.

xgeek - are you at 1360g with a GoPro? If so, which case? Do you use a gimbal?

I fly with GoPro and waterproof housing...with the tracker velcro'd to the back door of the GoPro waterproof housing. I've not weighed it, but for sure that tracker adds some weight.

xgeek said:

Its a P2 + Zenmuse + GoPro 3 Black. No case on Gopro.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj