Has anyone fitted a switched version of ArgTEK to keep existing aerials?

Reaction score
Just wondered, as I'd like the extended range of an ArgTEK, but would also like to be able to keep the simplicity of transporting the standard setup for a quick fly while out on the bike.
Thought it must be possible by maybe using a 3 bank switch of some sort to select either the standard fitted aerials, but mount the 3 way ArgTEK rail differently so if needed the panels could be fitted and switched in?
Anyone tried it?

I haven't heard of this being done, it must be possible however. What you will need to be mindful of is that any switch or connector will introduce an insertion loss.

Your best bet may be to obtain a second remote so you can have a non booster controller for travelling light.

Yeah, I did think that, just a shame you can't have 2 remotes bound at once to save having to mess about.

You cannot do it.
You would have to find RF switches rated for 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz.
Ain't no such animals out there.

Hmmm, I deny your pessimistic view lol. Isn't a switch just another connector? Like the ones joining the wires from the panels to the amp?
I stand to be corrected but I see no reason why that should be the case?

I've used argtek in the past and literally only takes seconds too screw 3 antennas on

This is true is guess. Just wanted to reduce time fiddling about.
Probably just get the kit and be done with it.

Although l had no issues w/ mine (switched cause I couldn't break a mile) u may want to read as much as u can about them. Connections and cables are key on any mod!

Reactions: Kwaka Pants
" Isn't a switch just another connector?"

Not when you are dealing with RF.
The switch must have the same impedance as the coax. (50ohms typically)
The switch cannot dork up the SWR of the overall antenna system.
Typical switches you are thinking about would likely work fine on receive but on transmit you could lose 90% of your output power.
Have you ever noticed that RF systems are sealed in metal cans ? Now you know why.

Reactions: Philltayl
" Isn't a switch just another connector?"

Not when you are dealing with RF.
The switch must have the same impedance as the coax. (50ohms typically)
The switch cannot dork up the SWR of the overall antenna system.
Typical switches you are thinking about would likely work fine on receive but on transmit you could lose 90% of your output power.
Have you ever noticed that RF systems are sealed in metal cans ? Now you know why.

Switches and RF are really a no-no

Cheers, I just wanted a good reason why it's not been done, thanks for the explanation! Would never have tried it myself unless it was a known quantity, as I'm no electronics whizz, so I thought I'd beg the question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20