Has anyone ever sent your bird out as far as it can go letting the RTH feature kick in?

Check out this video of my Phantom getting TOTALY ! lost and returning home SAFETLY.

I'm assuming you had no FPV? As you would have been able to work out where you were from an FPV feed.

What range are people losing ability to control and having RTH kick in? Over the past few days, I've had it kick in at only 400-600 meters on occasion. This is in a suburban area. I've also been losing FPV at about that range even with my FPVLR prelim bundle.

Just curious as to actual distances people are talking about.

And yes, it does get a little nerve racking but the function does return the bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 300 mtrs for me.

What range are people losing ability to control and having RTH kick in? Over the past few days, I've had it kick in at only 400-600 meters on occasion. This is in a suburban area. I've also been losing FPV at about that range even with my FPVLR prelim bundle.

Just curious as to actual distances people are talking about.

And yes, it does get a little nerve racking but the function does return the bird.

With FPVLR Blue Beam Ultra on the bird, and a BlueBeam Ultra and an FPVLR 5 coil helical on the receiver, I've gone to 1550 metres - just over 1.5kms. I'm sure she'd have done the mile at 1.63kms but I got scared.
I will eventually do the mile, it's certainly handling it without going into RTH. This was done the guts of a narrow lake in town and across 2 bridges, so a mix of urban and open space, but mostly open

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. With FPVLR premium bundle I just went 600m with choppy FPV and RTH kicked in. About the same I got with BluBeam ultra. I've trie3 different Boscam tx as well.

Wonder why some can go almost 3X the control and FOV range.

I'm using a 600mw ImmersionRC vtx on the bird.

What receiver are you using? Mine's a Black Pearl 32ch. Try changing to a different channel. When I used the AVL58, it certainly did better on some channels over others.

I'm using a 600mw ImmersionRC vtx on the bird.

What receiver are you using? Mine's a Black Pearl 32ch. Try changing to a different channel. When I used the AVL58, it certainly did better on some channels over others.

I've also got the Black Pearl and am using Band E and channel 1 or 4. Must be something going on as the control range is only 600m or so as well.

I'll keep trying!

i did it the first time i flew it.
got it out a ways out than turned off the tx and waited.
short time later it landed a few feet from where it took off.

I was walking my dog last week and thought I heard a drone. My neighbor down the street has one so I assumed it was him. When I walked by his house a few minutes later he was walking outside from using the bathroom and told me he was waiting on his drone to come home. He said he took it just over 2000' but it came back while he took care of business.

I've flown my P1 to the limit a number of times and so far it has always come home.
I have called upon RTH on a few occasions when I have lost sight of the Phantom when it blends in to the background and one time when I was flying in ATTI mode and the wind caught it and it was quickly too far away to see it.

The farthest distance I could measure,on google earth using ground objects to measure,was about 1350 meters.
It was on a dry salt lake and I flew out to the middle and flew around at different heights and did a long run very low at which time the first timer went off,so I took it up high to see where I was and started heading for what I thought was home.I thought the track I could see was the one I drove in on so headed for that but when I got close to it I could not see my vehicle or hear the motors.O'oh,wrong track.
It was then the Phantom stopped and hovered so I knew it was out of range.
The FPV signal was unbroken all the way.
So I watched and waited for it to turn and head for home and it still got back to me with enough battery power to take back control and do a few circles around me and land safely.

Since installing the latest firmware the gimbal does this weird thing when the Phantom gets out of range that actually helps to pinpoint where it got to.
When it stops the gimbal drops the camera angle so it is facing strait down so I get a good shot of what is directly below.When it starts moving towards home the gimbal points the camera back up again.I don't know how or why it does that but I'm happy to leave it like that.

The worst mishap with RTH that I've had was one day flying out from my back yard and tested the RTH and the self landing and it all worked but it landed about 4 or 5 meters away from the take off point which meant it landed on the roof of the house.
That was early days before you could take back control after using RTH.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj