Has anyone done a comparison of Still photo quality between the P3 and P4?

Reaction score
Does anyone have direct comparisons of still photos of the same subject with the P3 and P4?
I only have the 3. When I needed to get a backup while one was in repair last March I got a second P3- for one I had six batteries, backpack, case & charger for the 3. Made more sense to have a true backup & use of all the accessory items.
But more important, as a mainly Still photographer, it did not seem like the camera on the 4 was enough of an upgrade to start over.

But I'd love to see some actual files that show the difference.
I do understand that the video is improved. Which is cool. But I still need a better camera. Or an upgrade on the lens and sensor.
Anyway- any of you have samples to show on stills??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They are both 12 Mpics Can't think why they would be different.

It has been argued back and forth almost ad-nauseum over at RCU. The general consensus is that there is essentially no difference, especially when it comes to still images. There is more contention over video. Having said that, I'm also somewhat of an amateur photographer, albeit far from a professional by any definition; and I can't tell much, if any, difference.

I still own both and have thought about doing my own side by side tests because having the same shot under EXACTLY the same conditions, time, place, and settings is really the only way to know for sure. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to find someone qualified to help me do this. I guess I could if I really wanted to but that's part of the reason I haven't pressed it. I really don't think the results would be much different. I shoot a lot with both around my farm and I can't tell one from the other, basically.

the sensor is the same, the lens is different. with the P4 there's less distortion and better with chromatic aberration. not a huge difference, but if you ask any photographer if they would have a better lens or sensor , anyone worth their weight will want a better lens....

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
the sensor is the same, the lens is different. with the P4 there's less distortion and better with chromatic aberration. not a huge difference, but if you ask any photographer if they would have a better lens or sensor , anyone worth their weight will want a better lens....

also from my personal experience i almost never get props in my shots with my P4. with P2V+ / P3 it was fairly regular occurrence.

No issues with mine. Once you get the hang of it.... [emoji108]

v4lxfqh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brandten
They are both 12 Mpics Can't think why they would be different.
This is my thinking. Although it is supposed to have an improved 8 element lens- which is why I'd like to see the difference.
But the tiny sensor is the same, therefore the noise even at 100 iso won't be different.
That's what they need to improve before I'll upgrade. Not saying I wouldn't appreciate the better lens, it's just not enough difference to upgrade my whole system. Right now all my batteries & accessories are interchangeable.
It will need to be a major improvement for STILLs for me to go the next jump.

also from my personal experience i almost never get props in my shots with my P4. with P2V+ / P3 it was fairly regular occurrence.
That's interesting, because the P4 camera is 9mm closer to the props compared to P3P. Measure it and see for yourself. I feel prop interference is more prevalent with my P4 than my P3P, but only slightly.
0809162113_HDR.jpg
0809162114_HDR.jpg

That's interesting, because the P4 camera is 9mm closer to the props compared to P3P. Measure it and see for yourself. I feel prop interference is more prevalent with my P4 than my P3P, but only slightly.

It is weird but this isn't the first time I've heard someone say this.

I shoot a lot of video and have both the p3p and p4. p4 quality is definitely better for me, no question. Images and video seem sharper.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
View attachment 62040 View attachment 62041

I think it depends on how your use case and how you fly your quad (fast /slow/erratic/P-mode/S-mode/wind conditions?), how balanced your gimbal and IMU are. I see what you are getting at with your measurements. flying in P mode i rarely get props in my shots, S mode no question it will happen.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj