Has anybody fitted the DJI BTU with the DJI Naza-M-V2 PMU?

Reaction score
As I don't readily have access to a PC, I thought it might be a good idea to have the new DJI BTU (bluetooth module) with the DJI Naza-M-V2 PMU (I was told by the dealer, that these will work with the standard Naza V1 that is in the Phantom), so I could use the NM Assistant App. However, not being very electrically minded, I have to say that the instructions that came with them are not very helpful. So I wonder if anybody has done this upgrade yet and if so, would you be prepared to put some sort of guide on here. I would certainly appreciate it and I'm sure anybody else thinking of doing it would be very appreciative.

So over to you guys, if you can help.
Cheers :D

Re: Has anybody fitted the DJI BTU with the DJI Naza-M-V2 PM

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I9es5y7Mrw

When you get to 2:20 where it says to take out the CAN-Bus cable and plug it into the GCU for the gimbal, instead you are going to plug your BT module in the same way. That's basically it. :)

Thanks Mrmediaguy, just one other question to ask, will the firmware have to be updated or will it work ok without an update?

I found this YouTube video, but unfortunately it's Italian and I don't understand what he's saying!

http://youtu.be/i_p7AfR-J1M

According to the BTU manual, firmware 3.16 or greater is required. There were some difficulties with the 3.16 upgrade process that created a lot of negative feeling toward that update, but if you follow some very specific steps which you can find on this forum or on RCGroups.com, you should have no trouble. I have not yet seen anyone complain about the process of upgrading to 4.0, so it's possible that upgrade is going a bit more smoothly.

There's a separate issue of "my Phantom flies like crap ever since I upgraded to _____" [insert whatever version you want]. If you believe every report, then every new firmware is worse than the last one. :) The reality is that every version fixes a few bugs and probably introduces a few more, but on balance they do get better each time. I particularly like that in 4.0 you can set Limits for altutide and distance -- which might not prevent flyaways due to NAZA malfunction, but should at least prevent those due to operator error.

Don't fear the upgrade. :)

Sorted.

Well I finally built the courage up to do the BTU and Naza M V2 PMU upgrade, it's all pretty tight in there, not much spare room to put anything in. So I squeezed it in as best I could, using insulating tape and double sided sticky tape to hold things in secure.

There is one thing I'm not completely sure about, can anybody confirm it for me. You remove the 3 pin cable from the X3 port of the MC and then plug the 3 pin cable from the PMU V2 to the MC X3 port. However I can't find out if the 3 pin cable that I removed from the MC, has to go into another port, or is it now surplus to requirement. I'd appreciate if anybody knows, could they let me know, before I screw it all back together.

Edit: found answer on a YouTube video, the old 3 pin cable is not needed.

2afd997686e7ca8320ef0acddaddd8c0.jpg

Some photos of the instalment for anybody who might want to do this in the future.

59816ec2fd5ca79d684439acd61a9b1e.jpg

95a677bae3f5b4e8843602e44fd252b6.jpg

You got it -- not only is that 3-pin vsens cable now surplus, your ENTIRE main board is surplus. :) It is now just an expensive mounting plate for the NAZA and somewhere to solder the battery and ESCs together. Everything the main board used to do is now done by the PMU-V2.

if you want to really open up some space, you could always chuck out the main board and try this:

viewtopic.php?t=2153&p=14729#p14713

Pretty clever guy. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav