Harriman State Park & other NY/NJ state parks

Reaction score
Hi

I was thinking of taking my drone up to the top of Bear Mountain in Harriman State Park this weekend for a flyaround.
Anyone know if there is any problems from law enforcement etc in doing so? Recent news events have made me nervous about flying in any governmental properties... ;)

Did you ever do that? Did you have any problems?

Getting some shots of the tower at the top of Perkins Memorial Drive would be great. Maybe you could even get a shot of the drone outside the window from inside? :D

So true! I haven't made it up that way yet but no problems at Liberty state park. Not sure how accessible it is right now with winter still in full force.

It's been my understanding that drones are banned from any state parks and that could include state owned parks. Does anyone have any personal experience?

It's been my understanding that drones are banned from any state parks and that could include state owned parks. Does anyone have any personal experience?

I fly kites at Liberty State Park. I have seen the park police make people with RC planes take them down. Harriman would be pretty cool - if allowed 7 lakes drive would probably get some nice results.

You are a jerk. I live in the city and go to these parks to experience nature with peace and quiet and you want to bring your loud drones to take a stupid video no one cares about. People like you, adult boys with your toys, ruin the few bastions of quiet there are left in the world. You are a disease on the earth. And yes, they are completely illegal. I have personally reported people like you.

Hi

I was thinking of taking my drone up to the top of Bear Mountain in Harriman State Park this weekend for a flyaround.
Anyone know if there is any problems from law enforcement etc in doing so? Recent news events have made me nervous about flying in any governmental properties... ;)

You are a jerk. I live in the city and go to these parks to experience nature with peace and quiet and you want to bring your loud drones to take a stupid video no one cares about. People like you, adult boys with your toys, ruin the few bastions of quiet there are left in the world. You are a disease on the earth. And yes, they are completely illegal. I have personally reported people like you.

I can only assume that you don't actually own one of these "loud drones" and only came here to troll. Well the good news folks is that this dip-s*** is wrong - it's not illegal to fly there. National Parks are illegal, State parks no problem.
First the law:
49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a)Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1)
The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

No other entity may regulate flight. Nor may they create a "no-fly" zone. They may make rules where you may take off and land within their jurisdiction. The National Park Service does just that by prohibiting takeoffs, landings and operations from park property. (An operation is what the FAA calls a takeoff or landing).

To fly in Harriman State Park,Bear Mountain State Park or any NY State Park requires a permit. I have done both. However, do not expect a permit to be issued during peak use times of parks. Generally dead of winter and during the week is your best chance to get a permit issued. It's actually much nicer too, as you do not have onlookers interrupting your focus.

Reactions: noimage
To fly in Harriman State Park,Bear Mountain State Park or any NY State Park requires a permit. I have done both.
AJC - Can you show me where it says that a permit is required and also, since it seems you have done this, where I might obtain one?
Was that your Iona Island video by any chance?

Reactions: houldsworth1
Yes, that's it. Thanks. Actually a well written policy that recognizes that they only control take off and landing in their area (which they can do).

"This new procedure and permits shall apply only to a UAS launched from within OPRHP-controlled property. A UAS that is launched from outside of OPRHP property but flown over OPRHP-controlled property is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”) and adjacent landowners."

Thanks for the information.

Thank you very much for this. Living in NY I was sitting at home today with my new drone wondering just this.
Lots of stipulations in the policy but being an avid hiker I know a lot of rangers at parks near me and I think (hope) they would not be too restrictive to all of them. Of course I would stay away from any populated areas and structures in the parks and probably mostly off season. The one thing I read that I need clarification of is the insurance. I have good home owners insurance but I don't think that would be enough if they asked for insurance. I do however have an umbrella policy (3,000,000.) that covers (according to my agent and paperwork) almost anything, home or away. I'm wondering if that would suffice? I will be calling my agent to get his opinion but I guess untimely it's up to the park.
How does anyone else in NY handle the insurance part of all this?
Thanks.

Thank you very much for this. Living in NY I was sitting at home today with my new drone wondering just this.
Lots of stipulations in the policy but being an avid hiker I know a lot of rangers at parks near me and I think (hope) they would not be too restrictive to all of them. Of course I would stay away from any populated areas and structures in the parks and probably mostly off season. The one thing I read that I need clarification of is the insurance. I have good home owners insurance but I don't think that would be enough if they asked for insurance. I do however have an umbrella policy (3,000,000.) that covers (according to my agent and paperwork) almost anything, home or away. I'm wondering if that would suffice? I will be calling my agent to get his opinion but I guess untimely it's up to the park.
How does anyone else in NY handle the insurance part of all this?
Thanks.
LoneDrone- I believe Home Owners insurance is not what the Palisades Park Commission is looking for. I believe they want something like what the AMA provides. I could be wrong though so I would suggest calling them. Albeit, in order to launch/land from anywhere on PIP owned land requires a permit to do so.

LoneDrone- I believe Home Owners insurance is not what the Palisades Park Commission is looking for. I believe they want something like what the AMA provides. I could be wrong though so I would suggest calling them. Albeit, in order to launch/land from anywhere on PIP owned land requires a permit to do so.

Yea, I knew my home owners wouldn't but I think my umbrella might. Like I said, it's 3Mil of liability, home and away.
But taking you advice I'm off to the AMA site to see what that's all about. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20