Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Harriman State Park & other NY/NJ state parks

Discussion in 'Northeast USA' started by Submariner, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Submariner

Hi

I was thinking of taking my drone up to the top of Bear Mountain in Harriman State Park this weekend for a flyaround.
    Anyone know if there is any problems from law enforcement etc in doing so? Recent news events have made me nervous about flying in any governmental properties... ;)

2. houldsworth1

Did you ever do that? Did you have any problems?

Getting some shots of the tower at the top of Perkins Memorial Drive would be great. Maybe you could even get a shot of the drone outside the window from inside? :D

3. jcknows0

So true! I haven't made it up that way yet but no problems at Liberty state park. Not sure how accessible it is right now with winter still in full force.

4. cjandrone

It's been my understanding that drones are banned from any state parks and that could include state owned parks. Does anyone have any personal experience?

5. rawveeda

I fly kites at Liberty State Park. I have seen the park police make people with RC planes take them down. Harriman would be pretty cool - if allowed 7 lakes drive would probably get some nice results.

6. joe29182

You are a jerk. I live in the city and go to these parks to experience nature with peace and quiet and you want to bring your loud drones to take a stupid video no one cares about. People like you, adult boys with your toys, ruin the few bastions of quiet there are left in the world. You are a disease on the earth. And yes, they are completely illegal. I have personally reported people like you.

7. joe29182

You are a jerk. I live in the city and go to these parks to experience nature with peace and quiet and you want to bring your loud drones to take a stupid video no one cares about. People like you, adult boys with your toys, ruin the few bastions of quiet there are left in the world. You are a disease on the earth. And yes, they are completely illegal. I have personally reported people like you.

8. tcope

And you are a rude person who has no manners or social skills . Don't think you should be throwing stones.

9. houldsworth1

I can only assume that you don't actually own one of these "loud drones" and only came here to troll. Well the good news folks is that this dip-s*** is wrong - it's not illegal to fly there. National Parks are illegal, State parks no problem.
    First the law:
    49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
    (a)Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
    (1)
    The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

No other entity may regulate flight. Nor may they create a "no-fly" zone. They may make rules where you may take off and land within their jurisdiction. The National Park Service does just that by prohibiting takeoffs, landings and operations from park property. (An operation is what the FAA calls a takeoff or landing).

noimage likes this.
  10. AJC

AJC

To fly in Harriman State Park,Bear Mountain State Park or any NY State Park requires a permit. I have done both. However, do not expect a permit to be issued during peak use times of parks. Generally dead of winter and during the week is your best chance to get a permit issued. It's actually much nicer too, as you do not have onlookers interrupting your focus.

noimage likes this.
  11. houldsworth1

AJC - Can you show me where it says that a permit is required and also, since it seems you have done this, where I might obtain one?
    Was that your Iona Island video by any chance?

12. redonk

houldsworth1 likes this.
  13. houldsworth1

Yes, that's it. Thanks. Actually a well written policy that recognizes that they only control take off and landing in their area (which they can do).

"This new procedure and permits shall apply only to a UAS launched from within OPRHP-controlled property. A UAS that is launched from outside of OPRHP property but flown over OPRHP-controlled property is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”) and adjacent landowners."

Thanks for the information.