Hard to see my subjects on screen

Reaction score
New P4P owner. 1st quad ever. Having a heck of a time seeing my subjects. Been trying to get some good footage of wild deer but not seeing them on screen most of the time. I'm using an Nvidia Shield K1 with an anti glare screen protector and a home made sunshade. About all my flights so far have been in cloudy weather and late in the evening when the deer come out. I have the brightness on the tablet all the way up and set camera settings to brighten things up on the exposure hoping I don't get too much noise.
Anyway, for example last week I spotted what looked like 4-5 deer about a half mile out in a field next to a woods. I got the bird in the air about 200 ft high and flew towards them. Could barely make them out on the screen but as I got closer they ran into the woods. So I climbed to make sure to clear the tree tops and hovered over the woods and pointed the camera down looking around unable to see them on screen in the woods. Then I spotted a couple on the edge of the screen on the other side of the woods in a clearing underneath some large power lines.
I pointed the camera that direction and flew over near the power lines and was able to see 3-4 maybe 5 deer on screen a little.
Anyway, when I uploaded the footage to my computer it was obvious I didn't film 4-5 deer next to the woods. There were 9!! You could see them running through the woods on film but had no idea when I was flying and watching the tablet. I just wish there was a better way to see my subjects on screen so I don't miss filming any good moments.
I almost considered doing the dual mobile wifi antennea and suhan signal booster mod and mount a PC sceen in my vehicle to get a better view, but that would probably not be LOS flying.
Any suggestions on how to better see smaller subjects? too bad you couldn't zoom in on parts of the screen for a better look.

Last edited:
First off, if you're in the US, you're going to eventually get in trouble for filming (especially chasing after) wild animals.

As for the sight issues, that's just kind of how it is. Trying to spot a tiny object 200ft+ feet away using a tiny screen just isn't that easy - especially something low contrast like a brown deer in brown and green forest. I flew a flight up a fire road and over the top of a mountain a couple weeks ago and didn't even notice until my third play of the clip on my computer that I flew over an entire herd of deer.

First off, if you're in the US, you're going to eventually get in trouble for filming (especially chasing after) wild animals.

As for the sight issues, that's just kind of how it is. Trying to spot a tiny object 200ft+ feet away using a tiny screen just isn't that easy - especially something low contrast like a brown deer in brown and green forest. I flew a flight up a fire road and over the top of a mountain a couple weeks ago and didn't even notice until my third play of the clip on my computer that I flew over an entire herd of deer.
Trouble for filming wild animals from that high in the air? Chasing? From that high in the air? I certainly wouldn't consider following a subject from that high up "chasing". Chasing would imply bad intent and would mean the UAV would have to be at the subjects altitude enabling the possibility of harm. Soooooo not the case here, or ever in the future. As you can see when I saw the deer running to the woods I even gained more altitude approaching the woods so as to try and not disturb them. This is purely observation of the animals from a distance, no harm intended.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl