Hard time removing original camera filter

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of filters to use on my P3P's for my videography and photography, but for some reason the original filter attached to the camera does not want to come out.

Late last night I tried a few times to twist the filter attached to the camera counter clock wise with one hand while holding the body of the camera with the other hand but no luck. I decided to stop, the last thing I need is to break the camera.

For those of you who have been successful would you please provide some tips on how to accomplish this task?.

Attachments

• File Aug 12, 7 09 27 AM.jpeg
    File Aug 12, 7 09 27 AM.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 441
  • File Aug 12, 7 09 07 AM.jpeg
    File Aug 12, 7 09 07 AM.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 411
I just purchased a set of filters to use on my P3P's for my videography and photography, but for some reason the original filter attached to the camera does not want to come out.

Late last night I tried a few times to twist the filter attached to the camera counter clock wise with one hand while holding the body of the camera with the other hand but no luck. I decided to stop, the last thing I need is to break the camera.

For those of you who have been successful would you please provide some tips on how to accomplish this task?.

Lefty Lucy, righty tidy. Wrap a rubber band around the original lens and turn left. They're on their tight but you'll get it..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Try using the tweezer like motor wrench that came with the bird. It fits the filter too and provides a more even pressure around the filter. Grabbing the filter in two places like when unscrewing it by hand seems to distort the filter just enough to cause it to bind.

Try using the tweezer like motor wrench that came with the bird. It fits the filter too and provides a more even pressure around the filter. Grabbing the filter in two places like when unscrewing it by hand seems to distort the filter just enough to cause it to bind.

Ah, thanks, very good idea. I will try that this afternoon.

Ah, thanks, very good idea. I will try that this afternoon.

Be careful with the motor wrench, don't squeeze the two handles. If you squeeze the handles to hard they break, you only want to apply pressure where the rubber is on the wrench. Learn from my mistake...

Reactions: Fat Daddy and NRJ
Be careful with the motor wrench, don't squeeze the two handles. If you squeeze the handles to hard they break, you only want to apply pressure where the rubber is on the wrench. Learn from my mistake...

I see, so wrap a rubber band around the lens, then place the wrench around the rubber without squeezing too hard to avoid breaking the wrench, correct ?

Might also try some double-sided Scotch tape too between the wrench and filter for added grip as it will keep you from squeezing too hard on it and distorting the filter.

When mine stuck, it would only go back and forth freely maybe 1/8". I tried about every remedy out there: rubber bands, duct tape, rubber gloves, clamp wrenches, and it refused to moved more than 1/8". Something messed up in the threads. Luckily I got it exchanged before the 15 day exchange window at Best Buy.

Might also try some double-sided Scotch tape too between the wrench and filter for added grip as it will keep you from squeezing too hard on it and distorting the filter.

When mine stuck, it would only go back and forth freely maybe 1/8". I tried about every remedy out there: rubber bands, duct tape, rubber gloves, clamp wrenches, and it refused to moved more than 1/8". Something messed up in the threads. Luckily I got it exchanged before the 15 day exchange window at Best Buy.

Did you try removing the filter on the new bird??
Is it even worth the risk ?
I can return the filters, just bought them from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

wait.. mine didn't come with a motor wrench. I don't think at least

I see, so wrap a rubber band around the lens, then place the wrench around the rubber without squeezing too hard to avoid breaking the wrench, correct ?
You really shouldn't need the wrench. I had the same problem at first but it actually comes off quite easily. The rubber band may be helpful but the key is to twist, not squeeze which only makes it harder as it compresses the threads. It is important to grip only the front edge where there are no threads. Once I figured that out it came off fairly easily.

Did you try removing the filter on the new bird??
Is it even worth the risk ?
I can return the filters, just bought them from Amazon.

Use a rubber band! Someone makes a tool especially for this!

It's a plastic ring with a rubber band glued inside of it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I broke the "wrench" and spent about 20 minutes trying a rubber and with no luck. I put on a latex glove, almost no pressure on the lens and it came right off.

I tried everything to unscrew mine yesterday. Nothing worked until....

I wrapped some duct tape around the filter but not the camera so that the tape formed a tube sticking out if that makes sense.

I held the camera in place so not to stress the gimbal, I pulled the duct tape tube outwards while twisting it anti clockwise and it unscrewed easily.

No grip force applied is the way to go, just an outward twist.

The harder you grip the lens the harder it is to twist off. Most of the time, everyone is fighting themselves on taking it off. You just have to find the pressure and twist it off.

Hardly grip it. Dont squeeze too much as the lens cover is thin and any pressure will be pushed down on the metal ring causing it not to come off. Give it a very light twist

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fine threads, soft thin metal frame .. used a rubber glove and with only a very medium grip, she started spinning .. once off, the successive attempts will always work with finger pressure. This worked for me after a small struggle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31