Hard landing- First flight

Reaction score
Hi all,
My first flight is not a very happy story, but hopefully not a bad ending......
My P2V took a hard landing after I went into panic mode and had to bring her down fast or lose her to the trees beyond the park. When I recovered it, about 200 yards away, the cover had broken away from the compass module- that was really the only physical damage on her. The wires, connector, and module seem fine, but there was compression damage on the plastic casing that holds the compass module. I popped the cover back on after physical check of connector, etc. But now I am getting a compass error through the DJI assistant software, and solid red lights after initialization (boot sequence appears normal.) I can't get into compass calibration mode- never goes to yellow lights, just solid red. Is this definitely a compass module problem or could it be something more? Anything else I should be looking at? And where do I get a replacement compass module? I hope I don't have to order it from China...
Thanks in advance. I know this is the place to come for assistance...Regards. Gary

Last edited:
You got the V3 correct ? This the plastic casing you talking about ..bottom right skid new shell.JPG in this picture ?

Reactions: Ti22
Hi dirkclod,
From the battery side as shown in your pic, yes, it would be the bottom right skid. And as stated, it is the P2V (Phantom 2 vision.)
Thanks in advance! GT

Here's a pic of the only physical damage on the Phantom. Although the battery did pop out on impact. You can see the "crimp" in the casing.
Does this help the diagnosis?

Attachments

• IMG_20150719_225531.jpg
    IMG_20150719_225531.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 329
You can get just the compass or the whole skid with the compass and not hard to change out but you do have to go in the shell if ya
change the skid . I just had to change mine out and just took the board out and replaced it . Got it from UAVDirect in Texas . $15.00
Got mine wet .

Thanks!
I saw the entire skid assembly on Amazon (the new "antistatic" version- is it really better?)
If I got that could I try to just swap out the compass module first before replacing the entire skid, or is there some type of incompatibility?
By the way, dirkclod- check out the pic I uploaded.

Thanks!
I saw the entire skid assembly on Amazon (the new "antistatic" version- is it really better?)
If I got that could I try to just swap out the compass module first before replacing the entire skid, or is there some type of incompatibility?
By the way, dirkclod- check out the pic I uploaded.
I did and that's what I replaced on mine . I got the whole skid but just opened it up and took the board out and switched em
and all is well !!! :) As far as is it better I really didn't see no deference in them as I used a regular unit till I got that one in
to keep flying .

Thank you, helpful info.
One last question- How did you know you had to replace the compass, i.e., did you have the symptoms as me-- Solid red lights, unable to go into calibration mode?
Thanks again!

Thank you, helpful info.
One last question- How did you know you had to replace the compass, i.e., did you have the symptoms as me-- Solid red lights, unable to go into calibration mode?
Thanks again!
Yep. Had sat it down in some water :rolleyes: Don't ask :D

Reactions: garpt
Great advice and done without "use the sim first!" That so many like to give after an event.

OP, I've been in panic mode. It isn't fun :)
... Especially first flight with the most expensive rig you've purchased so far! :eek:

... Especially first flight with the most expensive rig you've purchased so far! :eek:
They really tougher than you think. I have bounced mine so much it thinks it's a ball. Usually it bounces back up but some times not :(
I don't panic much no more as that's when you will mess up but oh what a ride :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20