Hard crash with P2 damage report (ad-infinitum)!

Reaction score
I had a couple of months and maybe 30+ twenty-minute or less fun-filled flights with my P2 Plus with the Zenmuse H43D, a gift from my wonderful girlfriend, packed with iOSD, FPV, GoPro 3+ Black and a few other goodies to max out the capabilities of this wonderful surprise. So, about two months ago my fully "loaded with goodies" P2 with Zenmuse H43D and GoPro 3+ Black take off vertically at full power and uncontrollably after my doing the normal "Phantom Dance". At about 100' with no control, even when switching to Home, then NAZA mode, I decided to just kill the bird with full down and side deflections of the transmitter controls CSC? (new style 2 controller in case you were wondering). The bird came crashing down onto the roof of my steel building complex, which I am thankful for rather than hitting someone, someone's property, or a ski resort somewhere in the Rockies!

So this became a work in progress, not aided to any significant degree with help from DJI or any kind of handy numerical reference as to what parts I was looking for. Damage to the shell was obvious, though I suppose I could have repaired the original that had metal screw fasteners pulled from inside their original mounts. So, I went ahead and ordered a new shell from BH Photo that came with new screws, but oddly enough, not the little rubber plug for the USB port. This was an original DJI packaged part.

I took everything loose from the old shell and transplanted to the new, but now found that not only could I not power up from my controller, but Phantom Assistant informed me that I was not using the original DJI battery, which I most certainly was! I tried another of my three batteries to get the same response. I re-checked mounting of the battery connector to ensure that it was correct. I also noticed that one of the two receiver antenna shells was missing, so I tried removing the antennas from the receiver board only to find that they were bonded with an adhesive that proved impossible to remove. Bottom line, I broke one of the connectors off the receiver board. I ordered what I thought were replacement antennas, but they were for the P3 series, and I had broken off the surface-mount mating connector from my original receiver when trying to get the old antenna connectors off.

So now I go and buy a new P2 receiver board that has the antennas attached. I was still getting the Assistant software message that I was not using original DJI batteries, but was hoping that at least I could get the motors to spool up. NO, no luck there. Then I found that one of my motors was damaged and binding to a stop as I tried to rotate it. I didn't notice this before, so I ordered a new pair of motors, one each of left and right rotation so that I would have a spare. I set the project aside for a couple of weeks, but was still thinking about the problems.

I decided a week ago to do a Google search that defined my symptoms, and I found a YouTube video of a P2 main board replacement that pertained to EXACTLY my symptoms, especially the battery reporting one. I should add that Phantom Assistant showed me that the flight module and compass information was correct, and I am running the latest software. I went on eBay, bought a new main board WITH the flight controller and battery connectors intact, supposedly taken off a new and tested P2 (maybe someone else's crash?). Should arrive by the first of next week. Maybe my bird will fly again after all.

I may not be terribly bright (No, I don't want to buy a P3!), but I'm awesomely persistent! May this little tale lead others into a bit of knowledge and enlightenment.

Last edited:
A Postscript. It appears that the DJI.com web site no longer has direct links to P2 support on the home page, though there are some links available if you do a google search. If I'm wrong here, someone please offer a polite correction. But if I'm right, those of you currently praying at the altar of the P3 may want to take pause and consider where YOUR support will come from in the near future.

A Postscript. It appears that the DJI.com web site no longer has direct links to P2 support on the home page, though there are some links available if you do a google search. If I'm wrong here, someone please offer a polite correction. But if I'm right, those of you currently praying at the altar of the P3 may want to take pause and consider where YOUR support will come from in the near future.

I too have noticed that DJI no longer has links for the Phantom 2 in their "Support" section :(

I found at least one live link to the DJI site with a google search, but it really appears that DJI has no problem abandoning support for legacy products. Fortunately for those of us with pre-P3 birds, parts are plentiful, not to mention those who choose to sell their earlier models in favor of today's "darling". P3 owners will certainly face the same fate as us sooner or later.

Epilogue for my P2 hard crash episode: The sum total of damage from my bird crashing down after my cutting power (CSC) for an uncontrolled flyaway at about 100 feet AGL, and then having it land onto the metal roof of my building complex:

1- Shell kit
1- Motor
1- Prop
1- Main board (gave incorrect battery message, though original batteries were used)
1- Receiver board (damaged antenna wire(s) and not replaceable due to the adhesive used to secure them to the receiver board.
1- Overdrawn bank account
2-3 - 750 ml. bottles- Seagrams Crown Royal, Seven-Up and ice as required, and suitable vessel with which to sip said beverage mix over the past six weeks that it took me to finally get my poor crippled bird to once again take wing!

She sang so sweetly to me tonight after binding the transmitter to the replacement receiver board. Now all I have to do is to reinstall the iOSD Mini, the fresh 2.4 Data Link, and the FatShark 600 mw FPV transmitter inside the shell, then reconnect the Zenmuse and GoPro. She should be ready to once again take wing tomorrow!

Last edited:
Epilogue for my P2 hard crash episode: The sum total of damage from my bird crashing down after my cutting power (CSC) for an uncontrolled flyaway at about 100 feet AGL, and then having it land onto the metal roof of my building complex:

1- Shell kit
1- Motor
1- Prop
1- Main board (gave incorrect battery message, though original batteries were used)
1- Receiver board (damaged antenna wire(s) and not replaceable due to the adhesive used to secure them to the receiver board.
1- Overdrawn bank account
2-3 - 750 ml. bottles- Seagrams Crown Royal, Seven-Up and ice as required, and suitable vessel with which to sip said beverage mix over the past six weeks that it took me to finally get my poor crippled bird to once again take wing!

She sang so sweetly to me tonight after binding the transmitter to the replacement receiver board. Now all I have to do is to reinstall the iOSD Mini, the fresh 2.4 Data Link, and the FatShark 600 mw FPV transmitter inside the shell, then reconnect the Zenmuse and GoPro. She should be ready to once again take wing tomorrow!

Try building one from scratch... lol... I got my P2 last July, and got hooked right away. Not knowing much about quads and the electronics I decided to take on building my own from scratch. I can tell you, after the troubles I'm going through now with the electronics of this build, I now FULLY (or close to it...) understand how all of this stuff works together... flight controller, ESC's, motors, Rx, etc.

I haven't crashed yet, thankfully, but now I'll know what will go into a repair in case I need to ever do that. And it's actually fun trying to get it all to work.

Let us know if your flight was successful...

Reactions: iowahill
Try building one from scratch... lol... I got my P2 last July, and got hooked right away. Not knowing much about quads and the electronics I decided to take on building my own from scratch. I can tell you, after the troubles I'm going through now with the electronics of this build, I now FULLY (or close to it...) understand how all of this stuff works together... flight controller, ESC's, motors, Rx, etc.

I haven't crashed yet, thankfully, but now I'll know what will go into a repair in case I need to ever do that. And it's actually fun trying to get it all to work.

Let us know if your flight was successful...

Happy to say that all is well and more fun than ever with my bird since now enjoying the 2.4g Data Link, another new thing to figure out! As for building from scratch, my P2 hooked me ever deeper into R/C, so I bought a couple of large electric foamies and a couple of 2.4g transmitters (one 6-channel and one 10-channel). I'm also building a couple of foam board electrics with plans from foamconceptjets.com. I bought my RadioLink 10-channel transmitter with the Phoenix Flight simulator package which includes a couple of quads as well as both of my large foamies. I figure that I've so far bricked and totalled something over a million dollars worth of virtual aircraft including some helicopters and jets. The training port of my P2 second gen controller works with the Phoenix package. What a great way to build up my chops without fear of emptying my bank account every time I get sloppy on the sticks! AND... I can "fly" in any kind of weather in the comfort of my office.

Happy to say that all is well and more fun than ever with my bird since now enjoying the 2.4g Data Link, another new thing to figure out! As for building from scratch, my P2 hooked me ever deeper into R/C, so I bought a couple of large electric foamies and a couple of 2.4g transmitters (one 6-channel and one 10-channel). I'm also building a couple of foam board electrics with plans from foamconceptjets.com. I bought my RadioLink 10-channel transmitter with the Phoenix Flight simulator package which includes a couple of quads as well as both of my large foamies. I figure that I've so far bricked and totalled something over a million dollars worth of virtual aircraft including some helicopters and jets. The training port of my P2 second gen controller works with the Phoenix package. What a great way to build up my chops without fear of emptying my bank account every time I get sloppy on the sticks! AND... I can "fly" in any kind of weather in the comfort of my office.

Cool... I ended up getting a Syma X5c, and also got a mini quad, the Axis Turbo-X, an awesome little toy... There's always the joy of putting it all together and getting it working. I'm having an issue getting the motors working on my scratch-built, so just got my third Rx in the mail an hour ago, and also got a Taranis X9D that should be here in a few days. It's crazy how much you get hooked on all this..

EDIT: Here's a pic of my build. I have since put motors on it, but that's the only change...

IMG_0219.JPG

Reactions: afx and iowahill
Very addictive stuff here! I started out last year, eventually gathering over a dozen mini quads including the Estes, Syma's, and even a couple of 'copters. Of course, I couldn't stop there. I had to buy a balance charger, prop balancer, servo tester, pocket LiPo battery tester, and so on. Impulsive, compulsive, who cares? I'm having fun. My girlfriend saw how addicted I was, so bought my P2+ with Zenmuse for my birthday in July. Her twin sister had bought one for HER boyfriend a couple of months earlier. I bought a carry-on legal Go case for my bird that holds everything including my GoPro camera and the FlySight Black Pearl 32-channel receiver. The only thing I presently need to carry besides the case is a tripod on which the Black Pearl sits. I picked up a really trick bracket from England that allows the Black Pearl to mount onto the P2 controller, but I'll be damned if I can find it now that the bird is alive again.

GF and I flew down to Las Vegas in October where GF's sister's BF and I flew our birds near some caves to the west of town. Fabulous stuff and terrific video recorded with the GoPro shooting at 2.7K. I have an 80-acre gold mining property about an hour away that I want to do some aerial survey work on. There is at least the remains of one small town on the site, but I've never been able to find it on foot due to the trees and vegetation. I had considered a few years back renting a helicopter and fly over while shooting video with my camera. Now I should be able to accomplish my task at will. This was the motivation for me to get the Data Link and Ground station package (which now is only programmable with my iPad Mini, yet ANOTHER big sip from my bank account!). I have a cheap ($35) DVR that connects to the Black Pearl and is powered with a 3S battery similar to what my large foam aircraft use. This way, not only do I get to save whatever FPV video comes in, but also serves as a means of localizing my bird in the event of a crash or runaway.

I'm intrigued by the Tarot FY690S hexcopter and variants, and may take on the task of building one up this year. Right now, I have a pretty full plate! Good luck and have fun when you get your new baby operational.

Last edited:
Well of course my story couldn't end with a perfect conclusion. The bird is fine and seems good as new. Bad news is that the Zenmuse H43D vertical bracket took a hard hit as well, and I only noticed it earlier today when mounting the GoPro onto it and noticed mechanical interference between the camera and the mount while the Zenmuse was going through its dance on startup. Like several other incidences of finding something else bent or non-functioning as I went through this reconstruction, this didn't faze me so much as realizing that the Zenmuse was a different animal with parts availability about as likely as an apology from Donald Trump! The vertical support bracket had a noticeable bend that made the normal 90 degree bend more acute by maybe 5 degrees or more. Also, there was a noticeable twist at the short leg of maybe 6 or more degrees. I bit the bullet and took the entire gimbal assembly down so the I can try straightening the vertical arm. I'm going to take this with caution and make a fixture that will allow me clamp the bracket securely, then use screws to gently move the bent part back into position. If it breaks, I have to buy another. But if I'm successful, I've saved myself something north of $300 from buying a new one. The electrics seem fine, and I'm guardedly optimistic that I'm going to be successful.

The main reason for going this route is that I have installed the after-market Hero 3 30-pin bus connector on my gimbal that gives me FPV and not needing the GoPro battery, majopr because my Hero3+ Black has a broken USB port connector. As the old saying goes "In for a penny, in for a pound!". I'll post my outcome later.

Ugh... sorry to hear that.... Yea, the Zenmuse gimbals aren't cheap. Maybe if the damage isn't too bad you could find one on eBay that someone is selling for parts. Let us know how you make out...

On a side note, I got my scratch-built quad finally working, after a good slice on my leg... PM me if you want the long story... lol...

Well of course my story couldn't end with a perfect conclusion. The bird is fine and seems good as new. Bad news is that the Zenmuse H43D vertical bracket took a hard hit as well, and I only noticed it earlier today when mounting the GoPro onto it and noticed mechanical interference between the camera and the mount while the Zenmuse was going through its dance on startup. Like several other incidences of finding something else bent or non-functioning as I went through this reconstruction, this didn't faze me so much as realizing that the Zenmuse was a different animal with parts availability about as likely as an apology from Donald Trump! The vertical support bracket had a noticeable bend that made the normal 90 degree bend more acute by maybe 5 degrees or more. Also, there was a noticeable twist at the short leg of maybe 6 or more degrees. I bit the bullet and took the entire gimbal assembly down so the I can try straightening the vertical arm. I'm going to take this with caution and make a fixture that will allow me clamp the bracket securely, then use screws to gently move the bent part back into position. If it breaks, I have to buy another. But if I'm successful, I've saved myself something north of $300 from buying a new one. The electrics seem fine, and I'm guardedly optimistic that I'm going to be successful.

The main reason for going this route is that I have installed the after-market Hero 3 30-pin bus connector on my gimbal that gives me FPV and not needing the GoPro battery, majopr because my Hero3+ Black has a broken USB port connector. As the old saying goes "In for a penny, in for a pound!". I'll post my outcome later.

If you can't fix it check this out.
DJI Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal for GoPro HERO4 Black CP.ZM.000145 B&H

That looks like a more reasonable price, Jason. I thought I had already checked with B&H and thought I had read something slightly north of $250, but guess I was wrong. Now, knowing that I can buy a replacement for less than $300, I even more emboldened to put the vise grips and HDMW forming blocks on my bent vertical gimbal arm tomorrow without fear of breaking it. If it DOES break, I'll have plenty of other parts and working electronics for backup, or for some other poor sole who is in need. Many thanks!

Ugh... sorry to hear that.... Yea, the Zenmuse gimbals aren't cheap. Maybe if the damage isn't too bad you could find one on eBay that someone is selling for parts. Let us know how you make out...

On a side note, I got my scratch-built quad finally working, after a good slice on my leg... PM me if you want the long story... lol...

OUCH! I'm gonna guess you didn't have prop guards! And I DO want to hear the long story.

gimbal-1.jpg

This is a closeup of the bent vertical gimbal leg of my Zenmuse H43D. It is no longer 90 degrees, but more acute at maybe 82 degrees, and has about a 5 degree twist as well

gimbal-2.jpg

Here is a broader shot with the bent vertical arm to the left. I didn't want to fully remove the flat cable from the arm due to the adhesive and fear of damaging the cable from force of removal. But I got it free enough so that I can now cut and form a couple of protective HDMW plastic blocks, then clamp and try to re-bend the arm back into a workable shape. Just hope it doesn't break as I work it!

View attachment 40303
This is a closeup of the bent vertical gimbal leg of my Zenmuse H43D. It is no longer 90 degrees, but more acute at maybe 82 degrees, and has about a 5 degree twist as well

View attachment 40305
Here is a broader shot with the bent vertical arm to the left. I didn't want to fully remove the flat cable from the arm due to the adhesive and fear of damaging the cable from force of removal. But I got it free enough so that I can now cut and form a couple of protective HDMW plastic blocks, then clamp and try to re-bend the arm back into a workable shape. Just hope it doesn't break as I work it!

One more shot of the dismantled Zenmuse H43D whith the bent vertical gimbal arm highlighted . You can see the bend, and can almost make out the twist. I will see if I can bend it back into shape without breaking it. Update to come!

gimbal-3.jpg

One more shot of the dismantled Zenmuse H43D whith the bent vertical gimbal arm highlighted . You can see the bend, and can almost make out the twist. I will see if I can bend it back into shape without breaking it. Update to come!

View attachment 40339

Have you given any thought to either longer landing gear or snap on extensions? Bet you will after going through this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4