Happy, Happy... osd/FPV is awesome

Reaction score
I have three flights on the new osd/FPB system and today was just awesome. I put the monitor on a home-brew bracket and attached it to my transmitter. Was initially worried it was too clumsy but it proved its worth. It is very easy to track and verify orientation and all other things. I'm a happy puppy.

Got my osd/FPV from rchobbies but that isn't the point - before with the P1 and then the P2 with gimbal, I was blissfully unaware of how neat the FPV was. Now, I'm getting shots that I wouldn't have tried because I know where the aircraft is and how to make it move in for the shot.

I say all this because I was worried that getting the osd/FPV was an unneeded upgrade that was more for ego than practicality. I'm a hobbyist so I didn't think it would be that much of a benefit. Oh so wrong.

ladykate said:
I have three flights on the new osd/FPB system and today was just awesome. I put the monitor on a home-brew bracket and attached it to my transmitter. Was initially worried it was too clumsy but it proved its worth. It is very easy to track and verify orientation and all other things. I'm a happy puppy.

Got my osd/FPV from rchobbies but that isn't the point - before with the P1 and then the P2 with gimbal, I was blissfully unaware of how neat the FPV was. Now, I'm getting shots that I wouldn't have tried because I know where the aircraft is and how to make it move in for the shot.

I say all this because I was worried that getting the osd/FPV was an unneeded upgrade that was more for ego than practicality. I'm a hobbyist so I didn't think it would be that much of a benefit. Oh so wrong.

It sounds like you enjoy the heck out of your new system, I'm very happy for you.
Did you have it already out for distance? I'm wondering what the rough range of your setup is.
How is the display quality and how is it in terms of glare under direct sun light?

I should get mine on Tuesday, can't hardly sleep anymore :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had my P2 out to 1200 meters so far. Video was pretty clear the whole way.
Standard DJI radio
Immersion 250 mW tx
Attitude googles
Spironet antennas
Mini iosd

Miniflexalex said:
It sounds like you enjoy the heck out of your new system, I'm very happy for you.
Did you have it already out for distance? I'm wondering what the rough range of your setup is.
How is the display quality and how is it in terms of glare under direct sun light?

I should get mine on Tuesday, can't hardly sleep anymore :)

I haven't tried distance. My system is supposed to go out as far as 1.2 km but I don't have enough intestinal fortitude to do that. The advantage is the orientation. I can go out 200-300 meters and still set up a shot. Here is one from about 200 meters from me. There is no way I could have done that with the 'blind' system. I didn't see it until I spotted it in the FPV.

The viewing in bright sunlight is fine with the way I set it up. I was in bright low sun and I just turned 90 degrees and looked into the shaded monitor. Not a real issue.

Before I had the system, I think I just rationalized that I couldn't do some things. Now with the FPV I find I'm doing things I couldn't have done (within my margin of safety) with the blind system. Here is a shot from about 200 meters from me - there is no way I could have done that with the old system - at least not without actually going there and setting up a one time shot. The FPV allowed me to frame it and then allowed me to zoom up above the building and out into the river area behind it. Freakin' awesome.

Note the phantom shadow on the post of the building. I could barely see the Phantom yet this shot jumped out.

riverbuilding1.jpg

nwillitts said:
which OSD?

mini OSD, TS802 (actually labeled TS832) from rchobbies. I'm not hawking this setup, though. I think any reliable osd/FPV system will do the same thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub