Happy Freaky FlyAway-Locator Question

Reaction score
My second time out with my new P2 V+ v3 - since I am a novice, I removed the gimbal/camera while I practice technique and build skills, fly in Phantom mode, had 6+ satellites and calibrated compass. While flying boxes, my Phantom rapidly ascended to it's flight ceiling of 400 feet and just hovered, and hovered nicely! However, none of the controls worked so I figured I'd lost the 5.8GHz signal. Anyway, it hovered there for about 2 hours (seemed like, but was only a few minutes). None of the controls worked so I turned the RC off and back on - I know, probably not necessary since it already lost the signal.

So, after a few minutes it very, very slowly started to descend, eventually right in to my waiting arms! Freaked me Out!!!

Now the question is why? I realized there is an electrical substation exactly one block over from my field, so I think it was in interference issue - time to find a new field! But why did it fly to the ceiling height (now set at 200 ft), and not the RTH height of 66 feet (now 100 ft). Or maybe the battery reached it's critical level and that's why it started descending on it's own...

Now, I have Reward stickers on, and know I think I need a locator, in addition to the Assistant Locator I can use once I put the camera back on. I kind of like the Drone Mods locator but not sure yet. I'll be practicing with my Syma X5C till I get the locator installed.

Scared the Sh** out of me though. I had two batteries left but just went on home.

edonovanl said:
Now the question is why? I realized there is an electrical substation exactly one block over from my field, so I think it was in interference issue - time to find a new field! But why did it fly to the ceiling height (now set at 200 ft), and not the RTH height of 66 feet (now 100 ft). Or maybe the battery reached it's critical level and that's why it started descending on it's own.
Probably had nothing to do with the electrical substation.
More likely just because you were flying straight up, which is the trickiest angle for good signal.
It will only ascend to RTH height if it is trying to RTH.
If you had not crippled it by removing the gimbal and all telemetry and error messages, you would have had a much better idea what was going on instead of having to guess.

Sorry I don't have a + and can't help ya on this but something puzzles me here . On the + if you remove all you did from your bird and couldn't see all telemetry and error messages how did you know you had 6 sats ?
The lights ?
Also I would suggest ya get a tracker no matter what !

Dirkcloud, yes, the flash sequence tells you when there are 6 or 6+ satellite connections. Also, my tracker arrives today so I'll be flying with more confidence - and maybe let it get more than 100 feet from me!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20