Happening to anyone else...drifting?

Reaction score
I am flying in Phantom mode, but during the last few flights my Vision + seems to be flying in Naza Attl...I get 6-7 satellites to lock, calibrate compass before flight. After takeoff it does not stay in one position like the first 2 dozen flights. It will either do a latge 15-20 ft diameter circle or when flying left or right just keep drifting it that direction... this will last for about 3 minutes an then be back to lock on . The app and the leds so blinking green or 7 sats...I have not checked calibration yet...I am using 3.0 and 1.0.39 for the app.

DBSAM said:
I am flying in Phantom mode, but during the last few flights my Vision + seems to be flying in Naza Attl...I get 6-7 satellites to lock, calibrate compass before flight. After takeoff it does not stay in one position like the first 2 dozen flights. It will either do a latge 15-20 ft diameter circle or when flying left or right just keep drifting it that direction... this will last for about 3 minutes an then be back to lock on . The app and the leds so blinking green or 7 sats...I have not checked calibration yet...I am using 3.0 and 1.0.39 for the app.

Sometimes, even though you have a fix on six satellites, you can have bad GPS geometry. i.e. you are locked on to six satellites that are in a straight line to each other. Though you are locked on six birds, the geometry offers a less precise position than if the satellites are spread out across the sky.

Dirty Bird said:
DBSAM said:

Sometimes, even though you have a fix on six satellites, you can have bad GPS geometry. i.e. you are locked on to six satellites that are in a straight line to each other. Though you are locked on six birds, the geometry offers a less precise position than if the satellites are spread out across the sky.

its not possible for you to lock onto 6 gps satellites that are in the same plane. There are only 4 satellites per plane/ Those 6 he locked on to are definitely spread out. what he is describing, to me, sounds like a compass calibration issue.

DBSAM said:
I compass calibrate before each flight.

make sure you calibrate in an open area and away from metallic items. i had this same issue at one time and once i calibrated in an open area, the drifting went away.

I took a magnetized screwdriver to my compass, I had drifting, the software said it didn't need calibration, but I did it anyway. The drifting went away.

CarlJ said:
I took a magnetized screwdriver to my compass, I had drifting, the software said it didn't need calibration, but I did it anyway. The drifting went away.
After you magnetized the compass did the app indicate to recalibrate the compass?

DBSAM said:
I compass calibrate before each flight.

I think the manual recommends not doing this. Some flyaways have been attributed to compass calibration too frequently. I understand you only need to calibrate if you're going to another part of the world, not from one nearby location to another nearby location. I understand the concern is if you do the calibration too often, eventually you will do it wrong or do it in a bad location and have a poor compass setting. YMMV

DBSAM said:
CarlJ said:
After you magnetized the compass did the app indicate to recalibrate the compass?

It did NOT indicate any need to recalibrate the compass. According to the software everything was ducky...and it lied! A forced calibration seemed to fix the problem, but it seemed she never really flew the same after, so I bought a new compass.

Now it may be that I'm just ****, and for some reason I just "believe" there was something wrong with it, but for 25 bucks my OCD gets satisfied, and I'm good again.

CarlJ said:
DBSAM said:
CarlJ said:

It did NOT indicate any need to recalibrate the compass. According to the software everything was ducky...and it lied! A forced calibration seemed to fix the problem, but it seemed she never really flew the same after, so I bought a new compass.

Now it may be that I'm just ****, and for some reason I just "believe" there was something wrong with it, but for 25 bucks my OCD gets satisfied, and I'm good again.
I hear you;)
Was yours drifting and circling the whole flight or at the beginning of flights like mine?

[/quote]
I hear you;)
Was yours drifting and circling the whole flight or at the beginning of flights like mine?[/quote]

The whole flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20