Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Happening to anyone else...drifting?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by DBSAM, May 3, 2014.

1. DBSAM

I am flying in Phantom mode, but during the last few flights my Vision + seems to be flying in Naza Attl...I get 6-7 satellites to lock, calibrate compass before flight. After takeoff it does not stay in one position like the first 2 dozen flights. It will either do a latge 15-20 ft diameter circle or when flying left or right just keep drifting it that direction... this will last for about 3 minutes an then be back to lock on . The app and the leds so blinking green or 7 sats...I have not checked calibration yet...I am using 3.0 and 1.0.39 for the app.

2. Dirty Bird

Sometimes, even though you have a fix on six satellites, you can have bad GPS geometry. i.e. you are locked on to six satellites that are in a straight line to each other. Though you are locked on six birds, the geometry offers a less precise position than if the satellites are spread out across the sky.

3. tizzl10

its not possible for you to lock onto 6 gps satellites that are in the same plane. There are only 4 satellites per plane/ Those 6 he locked on to are definitely spread out. what he is describing, to me, sounds like a compass calibration issue.

4. DBSAM

I compass calibrate before each flight.

5. Madwak

Maybe this time you have calibrated in a bad location?

6. tizzl10

make sure you calibrate in an open area and away from metallic items. i had this same issue at one time and once i calibrated in an open area, the drifting went away.

7. CarlJ

I took a magnetized screwdriver to my compass, I had drifting, the software said it didn't need calibration, but I did it anyway. The drifting went away.

8. DBSAM

After you magnetized the compass did the app indicate to recalibrate the compass?

9. RedRyderMedia

I think the manual recommends not doing this. Some flyaways have been attributed to compass calibration too frequently. I understand you only need to calibrate if you're going to another part of the world, not from one nearby location to another nearby location. I understand the concern is if you do the calibration too often, eventually you will do it wrong or do it in a bad location and have a poor compass setting. YMMV

10. CarlJ

It did NOT indicate any need to recalibrate the compass. According to the software everything was ducky...and it lied! A forced calibration seemed to fix the problem, but it seemed she never really flew the same after, so I bought a new compass.

Now it may be that I'm just ****, and for some reason I just "believe" there was something wrong with it, but for 25 bucks my OCD gets satisfied, and I'm good again.

11. DBSAM

I hear you;)
    Was yours drifting and circling the whole flight or at the beginning of flights like mine?

12. CarlJ

[/quote]
    I hear you;)
    Was yours drifting and circling the whole flight or at the beginning of flights like mine?[/quote]

The whole flight.

13. AnselA