Hands on experience Phantom 3 - 4K plus Inside the hood Pictures

Got it - I thought I remember you referencing the settings used on your photos and videos; I think that is important is all I'm saying. Also, appreciate your efforts with the P3!

Third photo, to me, is very good (inspire), good focus and good size. P3 some blur. They are different cameras for sure. No "fish-eye", of course... too narrow view (I don´t like narrow, I prefer fish-eye and wide... to me, wide view is most important in any sport-camera, and phantom is it. I would like a very wide view and no fish-eye... maybe not possible).

No "fish-eye", of course... too narrow view (I don´t like narrow, I prefer fish-eye and wide... to me, wide view is most important in any sport-camera, and phantom is it. I would like a very wide view and no fish-eye... maybe not possible).
Maybe not possible to please some people - particularly those that don't know what they are talking about.
The Inspire and P3 have a 94º angle of view.
That's equivalent to a 20mm lens in full frame 35mm photography.
And that is exactly what you are saying you would like - a very wide view and no fish-eye!
It's hard to tell who is trolling and who is critically misinformed on this thread, but it's impossible to please them.

Reactions: dalebb and JayB
My SLR fisheye is a 16mm and my 24mm shows no fisheye at all so they made a good choice on the focal length, at least for me

Third photo, to me, is very good (inspire), good focus and good size. P3 some blur. They are different cameras for sure. No "fish-eye", of course... too narrow view (I don´t like narrow, I prefer fish-eye and wide... to me, wide view is most important in any sport-camera, and phantom is it. I would like a very wide view and no fish-eye... maybe not possible).

I wouldnt really class the Phantom as a sport camera imo. I'm pretty sure you can't have a very wide view without the fisheye.... If you want wide why not take several pictures and stitch them together, that's what I intend to try.

Maybe not possible to please some people - particularly those that don't know what they are talking about.
The Inspire and P3 have a 94º angle of view.
That's equivalent to a 20mm lens in full frame 35mm photography.
And that is exactly what you are saying you would like - a very wide view and no fish-eye!
It's hard to tell who is trolling and who is critically misinformed on this thread, but it's impossible to please them.

Hi, sorry if my english is bad... but maybe you don´t understand me, or maybe I can explain in correct way (possible due my limited english, but I try)
minute 4:30. I see a huge difference in view p2v+ - p3 (I see a lot boxes in same view for p2v... and too, fish eye, of course, but more boxes). I prefer see "a lot boxes" and suffer fish-eye, to get a reduced view without it.
if p3 have 94º and it´s equivalent to 20mm.... 110º will be more wide for sure (17mm? maybe, I don´t know)
Before my p2v+ I had a P2v (and please, don´t consider this a "critical", because I WILL BUY A P3, I´m convinced and any problem to me, it´s a improvement, maybe some things no too much to me, but other yes), and I liked 120º FOV more than 110º FOV in p2v+ (not advance to me lost "wide" option, a back step -I wrote this here-... remember, p2v had wide, medium and narrow... p2v+ has medium and narrow, and p3 has narrow. I don´t like. But I understand if it likes to you).

some examples....
cheap mobius camera (some lens options). I´m for sure you would like "standard lens", I hate it and not practical to me (I have wide... and after that lens... was released a wider lens, that I would like).
a removed fish-eye effect. I don´t like. I like no fish-eye of course... but I hate remove "wide" to "narrow" to avoid fish-eye. That´s "easy".

regards

I wouldnt really class the Phantom as a sport camera imo. I'm pretty sure you can't have a very wide view without the fisheye.... If you want wide why not take several pictures and stitch them together, that's what I intend to try.
I agree, maybe in these cameras (SLR or other type would be different, I think), fish-eye is price to pay to have "wide" capture. Yes, stitch will be a good way to have wide (and phantom 3 I think includes a mode to make them... p2v and p2v+ are "manual" mode). Of course, a p3 proffesional recording at 4K will be able to make a fantastic stitched photo¡¡ Options in p3 are impresive, no doubt.

regards

Thank you for uploading the video file.. I am in the market for the P3 only if the camera outperforms the Hero 4..

Couple questions..

The video you uploaded regarding the p3's camera settings...

1. What sharpness settings did you use?

2. What color space (Color correction)

3. Did this footage go through any post processing at all?

4. Is the video file directly out of the phantom 3?

JB

Thank you for uploading the video file.. I am in the market for the P3 only if the camera outperforms the Hero 4..

Couple questions..

The video you uploaded regarding the p3's camera settings...

1. What sharpness settings did you use?

2. What color space (Color correction)

3. Did this footage go through any post processing at all?

4. Is the video file directly out of the phantom 3?

JB

1. What sharpness settings did you use? - default.

2. What color space (Color correction) - default.

3. Did this footage go through any post processing at all? no

4. Is the video file directly out of the phantom 3? yes

Hey Mohan, Thanks again for the footage and info.

Could I ask a small favor? Could you do some more test footage with your P3? No need to fly it for these tests.

All tests shot in 4k Log, the lowest locked ISO, and in a raw colorspace, with no image sharpening.

1. One test just static in high contrast sunlight, then again panning the camera to show if it has compression artifacts.

2. Same as above but in neutral low contrast light

3. Once again in low light

Thanks

Hey Mohan, Thanks again for the footage and info.

Could I ask a small favor? Could you do some more test footage with your P3? No need to fly it for these tests.

All tests shot in 4k Log, the lowest locked ISO, and in a raw colorspace, with no image sharpening.

1. One test just static in high contrast sunlight, then again panning the camera to show if it has compression artifacts.

2. Same as above but in neutral low contrast light

3. Once again in low light

Thanks

OK will do. I will send you a PM

Flew the P3 in very overcast conditions - it was very overcast outside - took a 4k raw footage video which I will upload to dropbox shortly

Here is a still to give you an idea

DJI_0106.JPG

DJI_0108.JPG

3 minute clip of above RAW 4K footage (uncompressed) - 1.2GB Download...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fbgm5htuf5pubk/DJI_0102.MOV?dl=0

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX
Flew the P3 in very overcast conditions - it was very overcast outside - took a 4k raw footage video which I will upload to dropbox shortly

Here is a still to give you an idea

View attachment 17976

View attachment 17977
Thanks for the footage...

Working in the entertainment industry and working as a photographer, also owning all the go pros and a P2, I have to admit that the P3 footage is impressive and seems like it currently trumps the Hero 4. Besides the ability to control the camera on the P3 and not the hero 4, the format and lens focal length on the P3 gives it a marginal advantage in footage quality.

Sorry if this has already been covered in one of the previous pages but mohan, were you able to fly the P3 using the standard DJI Pilot app available in the app store or did you get a special updated app from your source? Some people had asked about this in other threads so I figured I'd go straight to someone already flying a P3... The rumor was that the Inspire Pilot app hadn't been updated yet for the P3 but if it's working for you I'd assume that it's already able to work with the P3.

Thanks for all you've shared so far! This has been a great thread to watch.

Reactions: dalebb
Thanks for posting the raw footage.
That's super stable.
What I don't like is the noise - possibly due to the low light.
When yawing there is no fisheye but more of the opposite effect - things get stretched.
When yawing at a fast rate image flickers - I suppose thats where 60fps would come in handy. I note you are filming at 24fps, maybe 30 would help.

Have you tired dialing in some expo curves into pitch and yaw?

The stecato effect durring the pan is a result of two contributing factors.. A shutter speed that is too fast for a frame rate that is too slow. If your gonna shoot at 24-30 Fps, with movement in frame you need a slow enough shutter speed to capture motion blur in each frame. The standard shutter speed for a cinematic typical look at 24fps is 1/48th of a second. At 30 FPS its 1/60th at 60fps it's 120/second.

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is an expo curve?

At 6:50 you can see in this video where to set the curves. I wonder whats the slowest yaw you can program and not sure but this seems like 3 points only.
Doesnt seem you can apply any expo to the gimbal. Seems like its only the speed at which you turn the wheel. Anyone know?
The stecato effect durring the pan is a result of two contributing factors.. A shutter speed that is too fast for a frame rate that is too slow. If your gonna shoot at 24-30 Fps, with movement in frame you need a slow enough shutter speed to capture motion blur in each frame. The standard shutter speed for a cinematic typical look at 24fps is 1/48th of a second. At 30 FPS its 1/60th at 60fps it's 120/second.

Thanks for the actual word -Would be great to see footage taken at the correct shutter speed in 4K.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik