Handling of Video Files

Reaction score
Once again I'm a newby. I am currently using Litchi, mainly waypoints, and so I record the video, pull 64K card from my drone and insert it into a usb reader to watch on my Laptop. I then copy the file to my Phantom folder on my One Drive account. Where do I start to make these files viewable on this forum and on my blog page? What is the most commonly used video editor app everyone is using? Thanks.

I edit with FInal Cut Pro but I recommend that you use what you like/are comfortable with, not necessarily whatever the most commonly used one is.
To get your video posted here or on your blog you'll need to upload it somewhere like YouTube or Vimeo, then use the embed code or post the link to the video.

It's easy. I use this following work flow :
- shoot footage
- upload file to youtube (I stop by local bar which has FAST wifi)
- drink 2 beers (maybe more)
- by the time i get home the files are done encoding on youtube
- at this point it's easy to view/share/edit online. If I see something I really like I'll get the original off the card and edit in high resolution.

I've been shooting in 1080 60fps. I don't have a 4k display device of any kind plus the 4k video files are huge. If original footage is shot in 4k your upload time required will increase significantly.

Yes, what is the process for uploading to YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

- go to the youtube app
- hit the upload button in upper right hand area

Quick, easy, painless. Gives you a chance to view/share/edit online wherever you are. When you find the stuff you want in REAL high def/4k it's easy to locate in original files. The editor on youtube looks to be effective although I haven't personally used it. I tend to stay away from online video editing since my internet connection isn't very fast and I have a computer that can handle editing in hidef. I haven't shot anything in 4K yet because i don't have any 4k displays.

Do not see an upload button. Do I have to have You Tube Red

Do not see an upload button. Do I have to have You Tube Red

No, you don't need youtube red.
- go to the youtube app
- upload BUTTON in upper right hand corner of screen nex to the bell

If you do neither of those you won't see what I'm talking about.

I'm using the IPad Air to do this. There is no upload button next to a bell. What might this mean?

No, you don't need youtube red.
- go to the youtube app
- upload BUTTON in upper right hand corner of screen nex to the bell

If you do neither of those you won't see what I'm talking about.
I'm using the IPad Air to do this. There is no upload button next to a bell. What might this mean?

I'm using the windows desktop app to view it. I've done all the uploads so far from my android tablet. It has to be there somewhere. Look for the person symbol below the search magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner. Hit the person symbol then hit my videos. At this point you need to hit the upload file symbol just to the left of the search magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner.

83447734f9593a77963a56589f4e7f03.jpg

You do not see the upload arrow surrounded by the round red circle? If not, you are not logged into your youtube/google account.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Richard Gozinya
My red circle has a video camera in it. Can I pull the file from my One Drive files?

I think I have it uploading now on my Windows laptop. it's taking forever, is that normal? Shot in 1080P 60 FPV..

Yes, "forever" is normal if the video is more than a few minutes long. Looking at the file properties will give you a better idea.. My 1080P videos of 5-10 minutes in length are usually 600MB-1.2GB and take 1-2 hours to upload on my 4mb/sec upload link. However, if your upload speed is slower than mine, it could take hours.. Or days.. If you are on a dial-up modem, it could take weeks.

Yes, "forever" is normal if the video is more than a few minutes long. Looking at the file properties will give you a better idea.. My 1080P videos of 5-10 minutes in length are usually 600MB-1.2GB and take 1-2 hours to upload on my 4mb/sec upload link. However, if your upload speed is slower than mine, it could take hours.. Or days.. If you are on a dial-up modem, it could take weeks.

Thats why i mentioned stopping by the local pub or bar to upload. 2-4 gig files uploaded while just sitting there for a few minutes. You're on the right track.

Upload time all based on upload throughput speed. Some places like the local bar are dynamite.

I would be surprised if uploading to YouTube before editing was what "most" people do here. And limiting your video to 1080p so the uploads don't take so long seems to be a waste of your Phantoms capabilities if you have the Advanced or Professional. Shooting in 4K and then editing down to 1080p with your editor gives you extra flexibility. You can use your movie editor to "crop" a 1080p image out of your 4K source image which in effect gives you a digital zoom capability which is still crystal clear at 1080p for playback. Conversely, if you start with a 1080p source and then have to crop the image or zoom it - you will result in a segment which has lost image quality and will be noticeable in your final movie.

I think what "most" of us do with our video footage is transfer it from the Phantom to a local computer and then use iMovie or Windows Movie Maker (both free) to at least trim our videos before upload - and sometimes add background music, titles and transitions. From here we can export in either 1440p, 1080p or 720p depending what final quality we need is. Other popular video editors that might be in use by some are Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Elements and many others. Some which are very expensive.
Many of them have built-in options to initiate an upload to YouTube or a number of other online services. Processing video is very CPU intensive and to run these products, you can't have a machine that is "too powerful". If you don't have a PC that is cable of running these video editors, I guess uploading and using an online video editor might be your only option. I've never used one of them, but I would be surprised if they were anywhere near as feature-rich as something like Final Cut Pro.

The footage I've been taking recently with the P3Advanced at 2.7k is about 3.8GB in size for about 12 minutes.

Here's one I shot using the Autopilot "Waypoints" feature. This flight was 100% automated and created the night before. Uses 42 individual waypoints and a camera "direction" yaw of 275 degrees. Shot and uploaded at 2.7k.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20