Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Hand Launch

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Wibble, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Wibble

Well after having it happen to me and just reading another thread about a P3 flipping on takeoff when it is windy what about hand launching?

I always hand catch for landing - how safe is hand launch?

I think flipping over in your face would be rather dodgy but maybe hand launching is just as safe as hand landing? Does anyone do this???

2. 4wd

4wd

Yes from time to time, usually because there's too much vegetation or a steep slope.
    It needs to sit on the ground turned on to get home etc then you can pick it up and launch at arms length.
    You absolutely need a neck strap - or perhaps have controller on a table or something.
    It's considerably more risky than hand catching to land, and best avoided unless you really need to.

3. Donezil

I did it some times.. I made a job some weeks ago and the place was very magnetic.. P3 could launch from the ground and hand launch was the solution!

4. Donezil

Actualy i asked somebody to hold the p3, raise it up above his head, and then i turned it on and launch...

5. DJi Newbie

How will the man holding it know when to let go?

6. TonG

When the P3 lifts the man from the ground!

D4T_PoM, edonovanl and robsquad like this.
  7. Wibble

CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

8. DJi Newbie

Probably less classic when he let go before you tell and give himself a new hair cut/

9. TonG

[QUOTE=" before you tell[/QUOTE]

No... only the phantom can tell.

10. AHill

I tried single-handed hand launching a few times. It is much more risky than hand catching which I am fully comfortable doing. I hold transmitter in left hand with thumb on throttle (with neck lanyard) and Phantom firmly in right hand at arms length held as high as possible. I hold it firmly in case it tries to tip toward me. I give it some throttle and when I feel it pulling up and not trying to go toward me, I release it. I am not comfortable with this method because my right hand is not on control if bird starts to go sideways but I have done it successfully several times. I would like to find a better method than this because I want to be able to hand launch from a sailboat and if bird went sideways it would hit rigging with disastrous results. If one person was holding bird and another person operating the transmitter I think the risk would be more acceptable. If anyone has a better method for single-handed hand launching I would love to hear it.

11. happydays

It's not really hard to do.