Hand launch

Reaction score
I know there's no such thing as a stupid question but I'm about to try my best.......

I currently find hand catching my P3A is my preferred option as it's so stable and I don't have to worry about any uneven surfaces or unseen dangers on the ground. However, is actually launching the drone as easy??

Sorry, please see opening sentence.

I know there's no such thing as a stupid question but I'm about to try my best.......

I currently find hand catching my P3A is my preferred option as it's so stable and I don't have to worry about any uneven surfaces or unseen dangers on the ground. However, is actually launching the drone as easy??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

People tend to get a little defensive about themselves and their stuff... so as long as there is no danger of threatening either of those, do whatever you want!!

In fact, I hereby challenge you to launch from your foot while doing a one-handed handstand, then somersault and catch it with your teeth!

In all seriousness, I get where you're coming from. The camera sits low to the ground, grass can be dewy, rocks uneven... you don't want to put your bird in the mud...

I have a truck and by extension usually all kinds of crap in it. There is usually a Home Depot bucket lid in there... makes a perfect launch platform. Even makes a nice target to come home to for a precision manual landing.

I think I'd prefer not to launch by hand because there are a lot of preflight checks, I don't have the greatest lanyard for stability, I don't want to risk dropping my iPad, but mostly I'd rather have both hands on the sticks at the time of launch...

To me, that's when a lot can go wrong and need quick correction... so can you do it? Sure. If you're asking if you should? I wouldn't personally recommend it.

If there is a reason you want to, other than what I mentioned, by all means, share!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hand launching isn't hard. Letting go while the bird is over water and the boat is moving will tighten up yer.... stomach.

I have the DJI shoulder strap thing for holding the remote.

Hand launching isn't hard. Letting go while the bird is over water and the boat is moving will tighten up yer.... stomach.

I have the DJI shoulder strap thing for holding the remote.

...in a rented 10' aluminum fishing boat while my friend in the 23' EbbTide circles with a gang of kids on a water wing. You forgot that part.

I've already warned my wife that SHE is the hand launcher this summer.

Reactions: Nighthawk5112

I've had to do it a few times, like when I was out on a big Pier and couldnt get it into P mode unless I kept it in my hands requiring a hand launch. First for me too, but just hold it level and keep yer hands free of the props

:D

They are just trying to keep your life interesting....

The point of the exercise is to get video for the kids but I'm starting to second-guess that…

Everybody talks about water landings and flotation devices and a Getterback, but I want to know who's going to rescue ME?

Last edited:
I've had to do it a few times, like when I was out on a big Pier and couldnt get it into P mode unless I kept it in my hands requiring a hand launch. First for me too, but just hold it level and keep yer hands free of the props

My kid has a $100 Parrot Mambo that you can "throw and fly"… If a $100 bird can do it, I think you should try it! [emoji12]

My kid has a $100 Parrot Mambo that you can "throw and fly"… If a $100 bird can do it, I think you should try it! [emoji12]

What could go wrong??

youd have to give it one xxxx of a throw...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jwmcgrath
I am not a fan of hand launching. The way I see it is that the Phantom weighs just north of 3lbs and there's a wire running through that thin plastic leg. I suspect that hand launches may be putting undo stress on the leg your holding it from and could possibly lead to damage.

Doesn't a hand launch also screw with the VPS or GPS. If at the start of the flight it is being held 6' from the ground, wouldn't the Phantom see that position as ground level?

The above is just my opinion, aside from my question to those of you who may have some insight on if VPS/ GPS is confused a bit with a hand launch.

Aside from my thought above, I enjoy launching from the ground. Just enjoy seeing the Phantom rise up and I like working on my precision landings.

I am not a fan of hand launching. The way I see it is that the Phantom weighs just north of 3lbs and there's a wire running through that thin plastic leg. I suspect that hand launches may be putting undo stress on the leg your holding it from and could possibly lead to damage.

Doesn't a hand launch also screw with the VPS or GPS. If at the start of the flight it is being held 6' from the ground, wouldn't the Phantom see that position as ground level?

The above is just my opinion, aside from my question to those of you who may have some insight on if VPS/ GPS is confused a bit with a hand launch.

Aside from my thought above, I enjoy launching from the ground. Just enjoy seeing the Phantom rise up and I like working on my precision landings.

Agreed on the "enjoy watching it launch from the ground"...

Also good points on the inaccurate ground level, and leg stress...

It's different than air-catching on return in that you can always choose where you launch from. I can see being more concerned where it's landing WRT camera clearance.

VPS shouldn't be an issue, it measures actual distance. Should have it off over water.
Barometer based elevation may be offset though but the few feet shouldn't matter.
Hand launching shouldn't put any more stress than hand catching. However it may be more of a challenge to start the motor than it is to shut them down.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

LOL in this circumstance definitely... but have you ever seen this nimble body, forged from years of commitment to Doritos and fresh, home made French fries climb back into a fishing boat?!

No but I am willing to push if you need to demonstrate. :D

How do you keep the RC level with that?
Mine flops over when a tablet is attached.

Built in stabilization.. see above for clues... ;)

I also have the Inspire mount so it centers the tablet pretty well...

Reactions: jwmcgrath
No but I am willing to push if you need to demonstrate. :D

Built in stabilization.. see above for clues... ;)

I also have the Inspire mount so it centers the tablet pretty well...
What clues?
I have a P3A so the mount for my 9.7" tablet is the same as Inspire except plastic instead of metal. Center of gravity is towards the back where the controls are and the shoulder tether still only has one anchor point on the RC so it all flops over away from me facing outward.
Nothing on the front of the RC to tether to prevent flipping over.
If that rear bottom bar were on the front I might have been able to leverage that somehow tethering to my belt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31