• HAND CATCH

Votes: 64 79.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • JUST WANTED TO SEE HOW BAD IT WOULD BE BY STICKING BODY PART

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Welcome to the forum sg .
You going to post stuff like that at least make em jump around some :)
flesh wound.gif

Sorry gunny ,I couldn't help it It's not funny you got bit :oops:

Reactions: Myetkt
To me these pictures make perfect sense.

It is easy to underestimate but the rpm and intrinsic design of the propellers are a serious combo.

Here is a picture of what the propellers are subjected to in flight. The human flesh/ body parts do not stand a chance.

6.jpg

I feel your pain. I also fly remote control planes. Had a fuel problem with a slight fuel blockage when inverted. Landed to try changeing the mixture. Those props dont hurt at first but hard to turn the mixture screw when covered in blood. Wife was not impressed as i was flying on my own and cleaned the plne and packed it away before going to the hospital.

Reactions: yorlik
Careful w superglue for cuts. Sliced my palm cutting abs pipe while putting sprinklers in. Pretty deep and should have had stitches. No problem I thought. Washed it out with water and peroxide, Grabbed the SG gel bottle and closed it right up [emoji106]. Till 30 hours later, when I lost sensation, hand had swelled up and line was starting up my arm. Long story short, dirty SG bottle, terrible infection and permanent loss of sensation in the palm and 2 fingers. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
There is a limit to SG brother.

**** Gunny :) Looks like you had some great fun :) You have us all waiting in suspense. That slasher movie will be a hit :) hehe

Last edited:
Real or not, what is the point?

Most people know there's a risk involved with spinning props.
To me these pictures make perfect sense.

It is easy to underestimate but the rpm and intrinsic design of the propellers are a serious combo.

Here is a picture of what the propellers are subjected to in flight. The human flesh/ body parts do not stand a chance.

View attachment 61198

Are saying the props bend in flight???
They do flex a bit up at the tips but do you realize that is a photographic distortion attributed to 'rolling shutter'?

Reactions: Roverggm
[...]
Are saying the props bend in flight???
They do flex a bit up at the tips but do you realize that is a photographic distortion attributed to 'rolling shutter'?

I thought they did, yes, from all the pictures I kept seeing of drones in flight. Thank you so much for posting. I learned something new and just read up on/ researched it thanks to you.

It seems most consumer image capture devices will suffer from this problem.
Are you aware of any digital camera that use a global shutter as opposed to a rolling one, or a camera that offers the choice in its settings?

Here is a page with more details for others who are interested: Rolling Shutter vs Global Shutter: What's the difference?

Last edited:
Although the title of this post is semi correct, I will leave it up to experts here on Phantom Pilots. Going to post these photos now to get some really expert comments, suggestions or recommended future upgrades to my P3A. I shall explain what happened after I see some great comments/posts. Please comment! I need some humor like we all do!

Semper Fi
I've got lots of gory pictures of people doing stupid things. (I'm an ER doc). Again, and we've beat this to a bloody pulp here, it entails SOME risk (so does getting out of bed). DJI corporate is NEVER going to recommend it because they have lots of lawyer-types looking over their shoulder. But there have been thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of successful, non painful hand landings / launches. You are more likely to be injured driving to your flying spot than hand launching / landing.

Allay thy fears. Quail not.

I prefer steady hover. Then walk up and grab. There have been few times in gusty wind, I have opted for normal landing as the hover was not steady enough.

Careful w superglue for cuts. Sliced my palm cutting abs pipe while putting sprinklers in. Pretty deep and should have had stitches. No problem I thought. Washed it out with water and peroxide, Grabbed the SG gel bottle and closed it right up [emoji106]. Till 30 hours later, when I lost sensation, hand had swelled up and line was starting up my arm. Long story short, dirty SG bottle, terrible infection and permanent loss of sensation in the palm and 2 fingers. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It was more likely the peroxide** and a less than perfect cleaning job. That said, hand wounds should be attended to by somebody that knows what they are doing. They are veritable mine fields of potential Bad Outcomes. SG is OK for small, superficial lacerations that are held together by themselves.

** Hydrogen Peroxide chews up tissue. It is really only good to clean out junky wounds - should never be used in a space with tendons and really has no place in initial management of most wounds. Mild soap (like dishsoap) and lots and lots of clean water or saline is the key. The solution to pollution is dilution.

Reactions: Roverggm and yorlik
;)
Now I know you know how to hand catch and will be watching to see just what in the world happened when you post it .
I sure don't want them to get me like that .Been on Plavix since 2000 and bleed like that when a few briars get me .
My eye's are my biggest concern though .Matter of fact the picture of that kid in the UK that lost his eye from a prop that was posted here way back is the screensaver on my tablet . First thing I see when I go to fly just to remind me .
I always wear glasses when hand catching - or around things with motors in general. The eyeball incident was an extremely unfortunate and unusual case of a UAV going out of control, hitting trees and ending up in the toddlers yard spinning madly. It's more of a caution not to fly around people in general than a worry about hand catching.

Stuff happens.

For the terminally worried:

%C3%9Cbung_Northern_Coast.jpg

Reactions: Lifted Chevy
Prefer to land my bird , anything at any moment can go wrong quickly and I value my digits as well as other parts eyes are a biggie too. So yea no hand catches for me or take offs Just not for me

Reactions: yorlik and N017RW
I prefer steady hover. Then walk up and grab. There have been few times in gusty wind, I have opted for normal landing as the hover was not steady enough.

My method too.
And I hover above head level where I have to extend my arm up to catch it. I then shut it down while my arm is still extended up.
I have hand-caught prob. over a couple hundred times, no worries.

Now, starting the motors and hand launching, that I don't like at all and very rarely do it.
That was my vote in this poll: perhaps that's what the original poster tried to do.
The drone will adjust itself and control the motors in GPS mode and that leads to unexpected corrections/ movements from the drone without touching the controller.

By the way OP, are you a lefty?

With the little drones, you can toss them in the air and then start them up. They will auto level and zoom, you're on.

Anybody gutsy enough to try that with a Phantom?

With the little drones, you can toss them in the air and then start them up. They will auto level and zoom, you're on.

Great comments. Good having you on here!

I have never had one of small ones those.

And I know you are probably joking about tossing the Phantom up.
Another consumer drone managed to get around the GPS Sat signal acquisition and warm up requirements while on the ground. And it's waterproof with a IP67 rating.

Lily- Camera. Reinvented.

Are you crazy wearing that getup! Your hands are still exposed! You'll lose em for sure that way... try these -

Best-Cut-Resistant-Gloves-1.jpg

I always wear glasses when hand catching - or around things with motors in general. The eyeball incident was an extremely unfortunate and unusual case of a UAV going out of control, hitting trees and ending up in the toddlers yard spinning madly. It's more of a caution not to fly around people in general than a worry about hand catching.

Stuff happens.

For the terminally worried:

%C3%9Cbung_Northern_Coast.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Yeah, I noticed that later. No gloves. But his face would be pretty safe.

Since I've gotten out of the habit of calibrating the compass every time I fly (and confusing the hell out of anybody watching me), I'm thinking I need some sort of costume to grab folks attention......

You can get these pretty cheap on eBay. Just put a video panel in front in place of the glass faceplate and you have the ultimate FPV suit.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e0/28/cb/e028cbc1b4fee133ee5af1707730d41b.jpg

Got a little Hubsan H4 that's a blast to fly by tossing it on takeoff. The Phantom? No, not tossing my P3S. The Phantom has me spoiled compared to the squirrelly Hubsan H4.

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr