Hand launch/catch

Reaction score
DJI's videos show at least one hand launch. I have read forum posts saying there can't be Mavic hand catches. Is this because of the ground sensors?
The height of the props and the camera make me nervous about landing on anything but a completely flat surface.
Does anyone have further thoughts on hand catches with the Mavic?

-:-:-:-
ThreeGs
(sent from my flight screen)

You could hand catch/release it. The props are much closer to the bottom of the aircraft and there isn't a good way to grip it (like grabbing the Phantom landing gear), so it'll be more dangerous.

Reactions: phantomi
You could hand catch/release it. The props are much closer to the bottom of the aircraft and there isn't a good way to grip it (like grabbing the Phantom landing gear), so it'll be more dangerous.
You can just grab it in the middle of the body easily.

You probably can. But easily, hm... it's a pretty small drone, and fingers and rotors are, well, not exactly good bedfellas.

/// Tom

I'm worried about how the ground sensing equipment on the belly of the Mavic would respond to a hand coming at them?

I'm worried about how the ground sensing equipment on the belly of the Mavic would respond to a hand coming at them?
Have you watched the Casey Neistat vid with the Mavic, he does it very easily. You'd think that it might rev up and try to get higher but I think the secret would be to grab it quickly and turn it off as you do it.
It's supposed to take a video of the area it takes off from, then uses this shot to land in almost exactly the same spot. I wonder if some idiot will try launching and landing on their own head, might make for some funny youtube viewing.

You can just grab it in the middle of the body easily
Yep. That'll be your only option. With practice, most things can be done easily.

Have you watched the Casey Neistat vid with the Mavic, he does it very easily. You'd think that it might rev up and try to get higher but I think the secret would be to grab it quickly and turn it off as you do it.
It's supposed to take a video of the area it takes off from, then uses this shot to land in almost exactly the same spot. I wonder if some idiot will try launching and landing on their own head, might make for some funny youtube viewing.
Okay. That was an indoor hand catch. No wind. It seemed to work fine as far as the ground sensors were concerned. THEN he did the outdoor hand catch with wind. Looked very easy. (A LITTLE trouble shutting it down on the second one.) I think that puts my mind at ease. Thanks for bringing my attention to that video.

Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads
Mavic Specs

Weight (including battery and propellers):
1.62 lbs (734 g) (exclude gimbal cover)
1.64 lbs (743 g) (include gimbal cover)

sUAS Registration
Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?
You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg)
Why do people keep saying to register aircraft? It's the person that's registered as a hobbiest. I understand that if the aircraft is used for commercial purposes, then each aircraft needs to be registered. Why don't people give the full answer and not just yes or no.

Why do people keep saying to register aircraft? It's the person that's registered as a hobbiest. I understand that if the aircraft is used for commercial purposes, then each aircraft needs to be registered. Why don't people give the full answer and not just yes or no.

I guess because that's how it's worded (many times) on the FAA's website which is exactly where I copy/pasted that information from.

I guess because that's how it's worded (many times) on the FAA's website which is exactly where I copy/pasted that insomething ation from.
Not jumping on you but I see so much bad info here, sometimes it best not to share at all as it confuses people. I have the same problem with google. I may google something only to find that was 2 years ago. Things change

Why couldn't one use a tennis racket to land on. More equipment to carry around I understand but it would protect the fingers. Not my first choice however.

Ok folks, remember you don't register a craft with the FAA, you register yourself. Use the same number on 1-100 craft!

Reactions: Richard in ky
Ok folks, remember you don't register a craft with the FAA, you register yourself. Use the same number on 1-100 craft!
So you don't have to register an individual drone's serial number? The FAA will contact DJI if you secretly hurt someone?

So you don't have to register an individual drone's serial number?
You only need to register your drone with a serial number if you're flying commercially. For hobby flying, you register with the FAA and apply the same registration number to all of your drones.

You only need to register your drone with a serial number if you're flying commercially. For hobby flying, you register with the FAA and apply the same registration number to all of your drones.
So how do they track your drone if it hurts someone? Through DJI?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.