Hand held stability for P4

Reaction score
I went shopping for DJI products on eBay and saw an item for the previous Phantom models. It's a hand held stability bracket that holds your phone or tablet. Does anyone have any experience or feedback as to did they work well. I was thinking of buying a unit for the previous model and adapting it for the P4. My thoughts are to sacrifice a set of props and running a small bolt through the top of the quick change mount, that would bolt to the handle frame. That would allow the P4 to mount to the frame and then the P4 could be used for hand held stabile video, as in interior real estate videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the device.
6fe3669ee8c4e380acce46a0c8a1a0c1.jpg

looks ridiculous. imagine holding an osmo at a concert. not a problem, right? now imagine holding your phantom 4 by a bracket, holding the remote controller in one hand because it needs to be connected to that to be able to show images on the screen. idiotic idea...

you would have to attach the transmitter to it to be able to see the video feed on your phone
I didn't consider that! As I said, I had never seen one and wanted to know if they worked. RC connection would have to be there for camera to work. I was thinking it would be cheaper way to go for an occasional shot being hand held and stabile.

Looks like an Osmo is next on the list!

I didn't consider that! As I said, I had never seen one and wanted to know if they worked. RC connection would have to be there for camera to work. I was thinking it would be cheaper way to go for an occasional shot being hand held and stabile.
i didnt think of that either, but realized it when i thought about how i would use it
i just dont see any use for it; it is semi-heavy, looks weird to hold, and is delicate so if you dropped it, it could break

I've actually used my phantom as an Osmo to shoot indoors. It's ok but there are two issues. Lighting needs to be good, Phantom videos need lots of light to prevent grainy appearance. Second, it's very difficult to avoid Z axis bounce as you walk. You can see the up and down motion in the video.

Last edited:
I'll never understand this product
Here is the device.
6fe3669ee8c4e380acce46a0c8a1a0c1.jpg

lol @ this, I'm sorry. If you happen to have an iPhone 6s in your pocket, you have a camera that is much better than the one on your Phantom 2, 2+ (yes better than GoPro), PX3, and P4 and if you have the P3A backwards or anything that doesn't shoot 4K, your iPhone is better than all of them.

Get an iPhone gimbal/steadycam and you'll have a better camera and not a 15lb monstrosity of a bad camera. Yuneec for all of their problems, got it right by allowing the CGO to easily come off for their steady grip.

All that said, continuity is an issue but just match the shots as best you can and with even a little bit of decent shooting, you should be able to match it.

If you're shooting home videos or even a low budget independent, the variance will be so slow, it won't matter.

If you're on a professional set and you show up with a Phantom on a Gimbal (third party no less), they will kick you off the set.

Tongue and cheek but just in case you didn't know, if you have an S it shoots better 4K than the phantom. However be aware that it shoots at some weird codec at 25fps natively.

Ironically, GoPro makes a really good steadicam for the iPhone. You will need an app called VCOS or something like that, there are a bunch of them but I like that one. It gives you control over ISO, shutter speed, etc but it's all fake, just like your Phantom.

Looks like an Osmo is next on the list!

Now this is a better option. It looks like a camera device and it also has interchangeable lenses. The Osmo is great.

Reactions: Mark C. and WetDog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20