Hand Held 2-way radio

Reaction score
Wasn't really sure where to post this question so hopefully this forum is appropriate.

Can anyone recommend an affordable hand held 2-way radio to be used to communicate with a tower? I just received approval to operate within Class D airspace and I will be literally across the street from a very busy runway. One of the stipulations is I maintain 2 way communication on their frequency and seek approval prior to taking off each time.

Talk to the officials there and get the recommended list of radios.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: InforGuy
Ok will do. I was told I'd need to pick one up if I didn't have one but neglected to ask the simple question. Thanks very much.

The Yaesu FTA 550 ran me around $200. On the ground will have a range of about 5 miles.

Be sure you get explicit instructions on how the communications will be conducted. If it is a busy tower, they will want it short, succulent and in the proper format.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

The Yaesu FTA 550 ran me around $200. On the ground will have a range of about 5 miles.

Be sure you get explicit instructions on how the communications will be conducted. If it is a busy tower, they will want it short, succulent and in the proper format.

Welcome to Yaesu.com
Thank you! I'll check these out.
I chatted with the Supervisor for some time today and was very thorough with the procedure. Need to fax them 30 minutes before I launch for the first time and must alert them (get permission) with each takeoff and landing.

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

One good thing about those requirements is that they are treating you like all the other aircraft in their airspace (except for the pre-flight fax). Helps to reinforce that the FAA really does consider our birds to be 'real' aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl