Hand catching?

S

sandman259

I've notice when I hand catch that my remote will put up compass error...is this normal? It will do it every time. When I close out the screen and re-open it, it's not there anymore. And I always do a compass calibration before I fly so I know it's ok...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They do look at me weird[emoji12]

Please stop doing so many compass calibrations. Each time you do one it introduces a possibility of an error. I have only done it once in over a year!
If you are doing your own hand catches it could be the transmitter is causing the error. Or the phone or tablet you are using.

I've notice when I hand catch that my remote will put up compass error...is this normal
At least in my experience, I have never had this happen to me and I hand catch almost every time. How high overhead do you reach up when you do hand catches? Did you forget to take off your Super Bowl ring?

Haha...no rings...I'm about 8ft high when I do it so I don't cut my fingers off[emoji33]... I guess I should clarify I only recalibrate when I'm flying at a new spot which is almost every time...

Haha...no rings...I'm about 8ft high when I do it so I don't cut my fingers off[emoji33]... I guess I should clarify I only recalibrate when I'm flying at a new spot which is almost every time...

No no. Read The Fine Article. Just check your compass mod value. If it is between 1400-1500 just fly.

And if you aren't inherently magnetic or full of iron or have some weird transmitter on you (Are you sure you don't have a transmitter embedded in you? Really sure?) I have no idea why that would trigger it. Especially in different places.

Attachments

• Just read the instructions.jpg
    Just read the instructions.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 357
Reactions: GPSMapNut
My cellphone is in my pocket if that makes a difference...ill check out the article. I was under the impression to always do it if your not flying at the exact same location every time.

My cellphone is in my pocket if that makes a difference...ill check out the article. I was under the impression to always do it if your not flying at the exact same location every time.

Cell phone can do it. Remember it's metal (in part) and busy yapping on various frequencies. The Fine Article says nothing - no metal - in a 20 foot circle. So far, my artificial hip doesn't seem to affect it but it's not ferromagnetic.

I always calibrated mine in my driveway but after reading that article I decided to go out to a field and redo it. After doing it and flying there I hand catched it and no compass error. Not sure if it solved it cause that was only once and didn't fly it again yet...

I always calibrated mine in my driveway but after reading that article I decided to go out to a field and redo it. After doing it and flying there I hand catched it and no compass error. Not sure if it solved it cause that was only once and didn't fly it again yet...

Well said.

So often someone tries or experiences something once and then declares there's a problem or a cure depending.

Correlation is not Causation.

Cell phone can do it. Remember it's metal (in part) and busy yapping on various frephone uencies. The Fine Article says nothing - no metal - in a 20 foot circle. So far, my artificial hip doesn't seem to affect it but it's not ferromagnetic.
I fly my 3 P1s. I have a watch on...keys in my pocket, pocket knife, a 9mm on my side. Never had a problem. I never have my cell phone on me due to the wifi. Not sure if that would be a problem. Only problem I ever had was doing a compass calibration holding the quad close to my body while having a 1/4 inch magnetic chuck in my pocket. Did it again at arms length . ..no problem. Don't know if the later versions of quads would be affected.

What about the obvious? The RC with the device. I presume you have it in your other hand (or suspended around your neck) when you are retrieving the P3?

Try moving the RC/device near the P3 and see if it affects it. Some devices have fairly strong magnets in the speakers. May or may not be the problem but its easy to check.

Headphones/earbuds? Those too have magnets. Wristwatch maybe?

I rarely experience any compass notifications. Only times is when I have taken off/landed on my truck's hard cover on the bed (due to the truck, not the cover).

I do not compass cal unless I have moved from the last one a substantial distance. Across town is not substantial in my world. Next town over is not substantial.

I cal'd up here in Milwaukee last Feb was the most recent. Numerous flights since them I did another down in Indiana when I flew near a wind farm, obvious long way away from Wisconsin. I forgot to do one in Alabama (ALA-TN border) when I flew at a rest stop to video the Saturn rocket there even though last cal was in Indiana, I received no errors and multiple flights went just fine even though the compass hadn't been done since Indiana. And I did another cal in Florida and flew quite a bit around the panhandle off the one cal. And of course, another when I got back here to Milwaukee.

I haven't done an IMU cal either since winter (so I got a good cal in 7f outdoors). Instant on, no warm up delay :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj