Hand catching and. Hand Launching

Reaction score
Hand catching seems a great way of get your bird down safe if the wind was too pick up say while flying.
But what about taking of, is it safe to fly it out of your hands say if there,s no suitable-ground say too take of from.
Would it be unstable in the air if it did,t take off from being still on the floor..
I mean the stabilising gizmos Might not like it......what do you lot think????

Reactions: rene van der meer
Hand launch isn't my preference however has served me well when restricted to launching from areas where the compass is unduly influenced by iron, ie concrete structures.

I'm comfortable with hand catching my P4 from the days of catching my P2. But does anyone have a guide of how to hand launch a P4?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too would be interested in the steps for hand launching. Especially starting the motors with only one hand available on the RC.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks. Took a look at the original post to see that the start procedure uses the left hand to move both sticks to CSC position. Appreciate your quick response.

I hand launched from our boat this past weekend, first time doing it. I was a little nervous but everything went well. I hand catch 90% of the time but was a little more difficult with the boat drifting in the wind while trying to keep the Phantom close enough to hand catch.

Umm ...well seems hand catching and launching seems too be OK as long it is executed right..
Good too no on windy days that you can launch that bird by hand and it won,t go a.w.o.l

I've done both but take off's are easy for me with a roller box because it doubles as my launch pad. This is one of the big advantages of having a hard shell case with a flat top. I'm sitting during my flights and have launched from my knee also on the edge of a cliff or when on uneven rocky surfaces. I usually hand catch because it's the safest for the UAV and I've never used the auto take off or land buttons just because...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 581
Guess I really am in the minority. Since I made such big deal eslewhere, I'll just note that it'd take pretty exceptional circustances to get me within a yard of an airborne phantom, and stop short of calling you all cowboys :)

I live on an island. Virtually all my flying is from beach. There you find sand, salt and water everywhere. All of them enemies of mechanical/electronic devices. I try to keep them separated. I hand launch and catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wibble
I don't hand launch. I just haven't had the need for it. I always launch from my case. I always hand catch because well I just don't want to bust my quad. As long as you get the blades above your head there should be no problem. Let it stabilize walk up grab the gear power down. Easy peasy.

Reactions: Curasail and Wibble
I live on an island. Virtually all my flying is from beach. There you find sand, salt and water everywhere. All of them enemies of mechanical/electronic devices. I try to keep them separated. I hand launch and catch.
Absolutely would be how I would do it on the beach

I launch from my Microraptor case. Following 3 tipovers from wind - I now always hand catch. Using common sense, it's not really a problem. Bring the P3P to about 5 feet and hover away from you. Don't bring the P3P to you - you walk to the stabilized, hovering P3P. I grab the landing gear with my right, then throttle back the left command stick until it shuts to motors off. Never an issue - even in fairly high winds. I can't think of a reason I need to hand launch though.

Reactions: Wibble and m0j0
Never an issue - even in fairly high winds. I can't think of a reason I need to hand launch though.

This^^^^^^^^^

Before I purchased the quad I thought why would you want to catch. Now that I have it. I think why would you ever try to put it on the ground. Too many things happen landing it on the ground that are bad. Have yet to have any issues grabbing it and shutting it down.

Reactions: Wibble
This is the video: Demo Hand Take Off

Actually I it much easier then I thought.
Just as easy as landing. For more details see: this post

I haven't tried hand launching yet but now I have seen how simple it is I will give it a go.
One amazing fact I noticed - no blood on him despite repeated hand catches........

Reactions: rene van der meer
I probably wouldn't do that underneath high powered electrical lines.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik