Hand catching a P2 V2.0

Reaction score
So I've seen videos about hand catching a P2 v1.0, and it seems easy enough as to turn off the props you just hold the stick down for 3-5 seconds (correct me if I'm wrong). But the v2.0 requires that both sticks be pushed down and in (toward the center), which requires 2 hands (for me at least). How are people hand catching their P2 v2.0s (if at all)?

Also, I understand calibration should be performed on a level surface. But is it essential to take off from a level surface? I imagine it would be ideal, but taking off from the beach...the sand is rarely level. And I don't have a hard case (I used a backpack) to use as a platform.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

With version 2 you can also turn off motors by holding throttle down for 3 seconds and phantom not sensing downward movement. I have version 2 and hand catch often.

If it is kind of windy and or unlevel surface, I also hand take off. Stay up wind so that if it drifts a little on take off it will drift away from you. Hand take off is more tricky because to take off you do need to move both control sticks in to start motors. I would be worried of sand getting in the motors at the beach.

Ofcourse, caution as having propellers near your body and head could be dangerous if something goes wrong with the phantom.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know the motors could be turned off that way with the v2.0.

I typically have a beach towel or mat that I take off of, so it's not directly on the sand. But even with the towel/mat, the surface is unlevel. Sand is a pest and can get everywhere, but it has not been an issue the 3 times I've done it. But I will proceed with caution and keep that in mind the next time I fly at the beach.

On another note, does anyone sell or has anyone made a DIY launch platform that they normally use? That'd be an interesting idea, I think.

Thanks for the advice! And happy new year!

I have a solar panel installed in the roof basket on my 4wd (it powers the fridge battery).
I have used that as a flat landing spot on many occasions.
So far I've just used the case I carry it in as a launch pad if the ground isn't suitable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers