Half the number of satellites after changing to Naza?

Reaction score
I used to get between 8 & 10 satellites when I used the bird. I then changed over to Naza from the Phantom mode and now I struggle to get more than 4 satellites? As a result it never flies with GPS mode.

I'm going to try changing it back but was wondering what else I could try first? It hasn't been crashed or knocked. I checked the gps cable in case it had been knocked but the plug is pushed in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

Laserblues2 said:
I used to get between 8 & 10 satellites when I used the bird. I then changed over to Naza from the Phantom mode and now I struggle to get more than 4 satellites? As a result it never flies with GPS mode.

I'm going to try changing it back but was wondering what else I could try first? It hasn't been crashed or knocked. I checked the gps cable in case it had been knocked but the plug is pushed in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

hmmm. How many times have you tested since the switch? It is most likely just a coincidence that there was poor satellite coverage at the time. I would test in a few different areas, and I always recommend the aluminum tape method of isolating the GPS antenna, even if you are getting enough satellites.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409803116005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409803116005.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 589
I've used it in 4 different times and in 3 different locations. 1 of those locations is my regular spot near the house & never had an issue before, tested it twice there.

I'll try the app, I did use an Android phone instead of the iPhone the other day & it wasn't seeing any satellites & couldn't recognise the sd card either. I swapped back to the iPhone and it was all ok.

I'll try that app

I just have no idea what could have changed or whether I've screwed up a setting, but only switched it on and then turned on the IOC and ran calibrations afterwards.

I hope its a coincidence.

Thanks for the tips :)

Could be as simple as switching it to Phantom and back to Naza. Another step if that does not fix it, is to click on your "current" firmware listed on the updates screen forcing it to do the firmware upgrade again.

Ah ok, I didn't realise that. So if you just click on the firmware number, it'll reinstall it? Cool!!

I'll have a play again with the Phantom / Naza mode and see.

I did use it from a boat when we were scuba diving, I did notice it was drifting but put that down to the wind. I couldn't actually see the screen on the iPhone as it was too bright!! Nice to know I can fly in Atti mode if required!!

Thanks again, I'll try it this evening.

Does anyone read the manual ? "Didn't realize I could fly in atti mode" , what did you think it was for ?
Not even knowing what everything does and flying off a boat. ?
And some days I get better sat lick than others.

Hi Mori,
Thanks for your message. I have read the manual several times, watched lots of videos. I have also flown numerous helicopters / planes before as well.
Sorry that I couldn't see the screen, so no I couldn't see that I didn't have sufficient satellites for GPS. However, here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzvmZrC ... JxDG5lGMEw - sure not perfect flying but a reasonable landing and I enjoyed it....

I've been taking it easy with it, and don't feel the need to jump right into atti and manual modes!

Back on track.... last night I switched back to Phantom mode and went to test it, it wouldn't fly and said 'IMU Calibration Required' then when I plugged it back in it said error 27 and compass problem. I did the advanced calibration but initially it said the MC was too hot but then it went ahead and did the calibration anyway. It now seems to fly again, I've switched back to Naza mode but haven't had a chance to re test. I'll do that this evening.

Thanks for the replies before and help. I have no idea why it did what it did, or why the compass was so far out. I did a couple of compass recalibrations before last night and it flashed green as though it was ok, but the location was still miles away! Very weird...

Thanks

Nick

Hey guys, I have a vision and a vision +. I locked onto about 11 satellites with my vision last night and flew gps mode no problem,tonight I tried the vision + for the first time tonight and also noticed bad gps signal!only able to. Connect to 6 satellites.i am not sure the problem as well.hmm I will also try changing from naza mode and reinstalling firmware to clarify the problem.
Chris

Your not always going to get great sat lock , no need to change the firmware. Could be cloud cover , trees , buildings around etc.
Mine changes daily.

krsdj1 said:
Hey guys, I have a vision and a vision +. I locked onto about 11 satellites with my vision last night and flew gps mode no problem,tonight I tried the vision + for the first time tonight and also noticed bad gps signal!only able to. Connect to 6 satellites.i am not sure the problem as well.hmm I will also try changing from naza mode and reinstalling firmware to clarify the problem.
Chris

Test must be done at the same location at the same time and with close to or similar weather conditions.
If you attempt to take off in a suburb in your fenced back yard you will notice less sats.

Before the foil mod, I used to take off in the back yard with 4 sats ATTI and get height to get 10/11 sats. I would then look and wait or reset home point at this stage (rapid green flashes). The altitude home point lock also helped with RTH as it would give me the extra height clearance for trees.

side by side test today between my phantom vision and my vision plus,With my vision i received between 11 and 12 satellites at a time.with my vision plus i could only receive 7 to 8 or 9 satellites and it fluctuates up and down,I believe there is a problem with the vision plus.

Wouldn't surprise me. My second P2V+ acted similar. I did the GPS foil mod and it jumped up 2 or 3 satellites on average.

rrmccabe said:
Wouldn't surprise me. My second P2V+ acted similar. I did the GPS foil mod and it jumped up 2 or 3 satellites on average.
Definitely theres a problem and i won't keep mine with this issue,sad because i really liked the camera

Well I think I just read in another thread you have already done the mod? Covered the cable too?

rrmccabe said:
Well I think I just read in another thread you have already done the mod? Covered the cable too?
I do have another post and i be honest i didn't cover the cable but i did nicely put the foil inside,Do you think covering the cable will make a great big difference? With my fantom vision i didn't cover the cable and did the foil upgrade and used to have 10 satellites and now have 12

I personally thought the benefit came from laying the cable down and covering all of it. Biggest gain from the cable.

rrmccabe said:
I personally thought the benefit came from laying the cable down and covering all of it. Biggest gain from the cable.
I will Take it apart tonight and try covering the cable,Probably give it a test tomorrow,Thanks for the tips

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers