Hairline Cracks

Anything to back this opinion up with? I have had the uav bits on mine for better than 150 flights and no cracks yet. Mine is an early model P3 pro(May of 2015). I can't say for certainty that they are preventing cracks but I can say they sure don't seem to be hurting anything.
I have an early model with about 120 flights an no cracks and no plates. Anecdote isn't data and it is completely unclear if the plates mitigate or prevent cracks.

So long as you are very careful not to puncture the motors with the screws, they're likely mostly harmless.

Good luck with that. My P3P (2 months old) has more cracks than a dropped egg and I was told to pound sand by DJI. See attached.

View attachment 45280
Really. I'd complain. There are dozens (hundreds) of posts where DJI has replaced stress cracked frames. Now, if you sheared off the strut hitting a bridge abutment, I think they have a stance. But the majority of cracks seem to be an honest to bog manufacturing defect.

We should not wait to see if hairline cracks are growing, they would. Either contact DJI service or repair yourself using solutions like plast aid.

I have an early model with about 120 flights an no cracks and no plates. Anecdote isn't data and it is completely unclear if the plates mitigate or prevent cracks.

So long as you are very careful not to puncture the motors with the screws, they're likely mostly harmless.
If you read my post completely you would see that is pretty much what I said. (I can't say with certainty that they prevent cracks....).

Mine got this today. It's only a few weeks old and definitely no crash, so going back for repair or replacement. I bought it from Apple, so don't expect too much hassle.

Damnit that's the new motor design, I hoped it would of been addressed with the new revision. I hope my new p3p doesn't crack, knock on wood.

"Eventual it will if timely action is not taken......"

I'm not sure I understand why this is so. Certainly the crack posted above on the top shell is very troubling, but the cracks on the bottom shell don't spell impending doom to my engineering mind. Please explain and do we have any proof that these hairline cracks have caused a crash.

FIRST!
I want to retract my comment that DJI has poor quality plastic in the Phantom. A friend of mine did a component check and the plastic is well engineered with high poly-carbonate in it for what is needed. Also the reason there are cracks in the plastic shell is due to over tightening of the screws causing the screw posts to break.
On a second note, I got lucky that only my upper shell was damaged and the bottom did not needed replacement :). Have bought a full body shell and replaced the top part only, I have a good untouched lower half for sale. I will post in the CLASSIFIED location.
Below are pictures of the shells and descriptions.

Cracked top shell where the mounting screws are located...
upload_2016-2-29_11-49-26.png

...due to over tightening of the screws and ripping the screw posts off...
upload_2016-2-29_11-52-15.png

Just a tiny bit too tight and can cause this hairline crack
upload_2016-2-29_11-54-7.png

so be gentle on those screw posts. I would suggest to back off 1/2 to 1 turn to prevent cracks. Don't worry, there are metal inserts and loosening the screws is easy.
upload_2016-2-29_11-56-28.png

The plastic shell is very tough and flexible, I tried to break it and springs back to normal. Have jumped on it on the floor and still no damage.
upload_2016-2-29_12-0-49.png

and the bottom shell for sale now.
upload_2016-2-29_12-2-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-29_12-3-9.png
    upload_2016-2-29_12-3-9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 424
FIRST!
I want to retract my comment that DJI has poor quality plastic in the Phantom. A friend of mine did a component check and the plastic is well engineered with high poly-carbonate in it for what is needed. Also the reason there are cracks in the plastic shell is due to over tightening of the screws causing the screw posts to break.
On a second note, I got lucky that only my upper shell was damaged and the bottom did not needed replacement :). Have bought a full body shell and replaced the top part only, I have a good untouched lower half for sale. I will post in the CLASSIFIED location.

View attachment 45399

View attachment 45404

View attachment 45408

so be gentle on those screw posts. I would suggest to back off 1/2 to 1 turn to prevent cracks. Don't worry, there are metal inserts and loosening the screws is easy.
View attachment 45409

The plastic shell is very tough and flexible, I tried to break it and springs back to normal. Have jumped on it on the floor and still no damage.
View attachment 45410

View attachment 45411
But if DJI was the one that overtightened then they should fix it and it is a poor build quality or poor quality control... either way it sucks lol

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

FIRST!

View attachment 45399

View attachment 45404

View attachment 45408

View attachment 45409

View attachment 45410

View attachment 45411

Have just the glue for it. Google "Bondic liquid plastic welder" the stuff is amazing! Your weld will be stronger than original plastic.

But if DJI was the one that overtightened then they should fix it and it is a poor build quality or poor quality control... either way it sucks lol

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
DJI needs to recalibrate their tools (hands) for less tork/lb on those screws :)

Have just the glue for it. Google "Bondic liquid plastic welder" the stuff is amazing! Your weld will be stronger than original plastic.

This cracking issue will never go away IMO...

I have had 2 phantom 3 standards that have cracked on the first few gentle flights, no hard landings and (All props fully balanced before first flight).

With the one I have now, I have 2 hairline cracks under one of the motor screws (not as bad as the first picture on this thread). But they are there for sure.

I did make a thread here: Here we go again.. 2nd P3 Standard CRACKED 4 after gentle flights - 2 weeks old / OPINIONS PLEASE

Rather than sending it in, I got the company where I bought it from to send me a new replacement shell.

The shell they sent is clearly the old design without the X-brace support in between the motor screws.

I have not replaced the shell yet as I don't know if it will make any difference in the long run, It may happen again as it's the old shell design...

I have flown the phantom a few times since, I don't THINK the cracks have not gotten any worse (yet).

I'm stuck on what to do, to be honest... should I just get the tools out and replace the shell and hope for the best?

No one should have to do this.. the hardest part it separating the top and bottom covers, trying not to crack or break anything getting it apart.

I stress to anyone reading this, go over your phantom 3 and check for hairline cracks with a flashlight.

If you've got hairline cracks you should see them if you look carefully - if not, you could be lucky... but from experience it's only a matter of time IMO..

Replacing the top shell is easy but from what I have seen on Youtube, replacing the bottom half is a nightmare and should be done only when MUST. If you can fly it and it feels like day 1, wait till is in pieces to replace it.
Looks like they use engine header tork wrench to tighten the screws.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31