Had the scare of my life today

Reaction score
Hi fellow hobbyists, just wanted to share this story, i have a phantom 2 with a 2d gimbal, i have flown it a couple of dozen times and got used to the jhook and some TBE, but today i got the scare of my life, i went out to fly, grabbed my 3 batteries, goggles, controller and phantom, got on my truck and started to fly in an open field on top of a hill near my house, anyways, 2 batteries down and all went well, got some video of where i live and the houses around us, everything was going great, had my music going in my truck, just enjoying the day, then on my third battery powered up, started flying close to me to wait till the jhook balances out and after 3 min i sent it out flying got to about maybe 100 m in front of me and about 20-22 m high and let it hover because i went to get my goggles, i turn around, walked like 3 meters got the goggles and battery and when i turned around my phantom was gone, not a trace, i panicked, the first thing i did was to try too csc to see if i could hear the blades trying to turn but did not hear a thing, then i throttle it up and the same, by this time i was thinking that i wasnt going to see it anymore, so i went home really fast to put some shoes on, came back and parked my truck exactly in the same spot i was in the begginig, anyways i went down hill to look for it, looked at some houses, neighboring streets, asked neighboors, and couldnt find it, then some friends showed up and told them that i lost my phantom, they immidiately helped me, finally after about an hour of feeling really bad, one of my friends found it, it was right beside my truck, the thing is that i was on top of a small hill where i live, the craft came back and landed on the side of the hill, about 2 m where it took of and landed on top of small grass.......two things i did not do because of the state of panick i was in is first look up and second look into my goggles, DUH..... The good part is i had the camera going, i saw exactly what happened, when i went into my truck the phantom lost comunication and went into failsafe went up like 60 feet and came home, when i came out of the truck and didnt see my craft i never tought of looking up, instead i looked down hill to see if i could find it, and then i remembered the goggles but did not see anything only snow and i couldnt hear the craft because of the loud music, from now on i will bring a buddy, at least one of us can keep their eyes on the **** thing

Sana

Wow, now that's a ton of user errors. :lol:

General rule of thumb is to never let your Phantom out of sight if it's powered up or not in storage. :lol:

If that tame event is the scare of your life you should consider yourself to be fortunate.

p.s. Paragraphs are your friends if you want to communicate effectively.

Alright, yes. It's user error but give the guy a break. He's already paid for it in trauma. And we all can get a little complacent 3 batteries in. Even in real flying, it's not that uncommon for private pilots to get complacent and make mistakes after they get a little too comfortable. Let it be a reminder to us all.

You need a GPS tracker, seriously -- get one. If you ever loose sight of your Phantom you will always be able to locate it.

Jaybee said:
You need a GPS tracker, seriously -- get one. If you ever loose sight of your Phantom you will always be able to locate it.

Second this. I have not had any scares like this yet, but I always have my GPS tracker on in case something like this happens. Mine so far has been accurate to pinpoint to about 10 feet when I have tested it.

I'm sure you appreciate how fortunate you are in this experience.

One more thing to be happy about... you didn't run over it with your truck!

...always the optimist :lol:

Its definetly user error, i got confident, i am new at this, almost a couple of months into the hobby, but from now on i either bring a buddy with me or i will definently not use my goggles when flying alone.

Well, a lot of things came to mind when i couldnt find my craft, i was already thinking of selling everything i had on ebay, even the stuff i had on order (propellers, memory card, stickers), oh and dont forget the wife, she was going to kill me, lol

Sana

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik