Had my first negative run in ....

Reaction score
Was out flying last week with a fellow member and had my first negative experience with someone who clearly wanted an altercation of some sort... We were flying our Phantoms over a river away from anybody at about 8PM at night.. A guy rolls up on his bike and started calling us perverts and how we should not be flying these things recording people in public parks.. I mentioned to him that we were clearly flying them over the river with the park no where near us and no one remotely close to spy on. He didn't want to hear any of it, just kept going on and on at us about how he didn't wish to be filmed when he was in a public park :roll:

Anyone else have any negative run-ins? I'm very conscious of not flying around people or above cars/houses etc for multiple reasons.. The amusing thing about it all is, if I was really out there to secretly record people at a park, I certainly wouldn't be doing it with a super noisy Phantom from 200FT... Pretty sure I could just walk around the park with my iPhone on recording whatever I wanted :lol: - Some people have no common sense..

I didn't want to push the issue with this specific person as he was clearly looking for some sort of altercation or a potential to escalate it..

i had a lady walk by me with her dog and comment. neat helicopter...
if someone comes up to you with an attitude you say. hasta lavista baby - or later **** wad. or you can use combinations...

like you'd be out wasting your time to record other people for sexual gain.. hahaha
who are these people who think they so special that were "recording" them...

sorry- but this really pisses me off. :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
i had a lady walk by me with her dog and comment. neat helicopter...
if someone comes up to you with an attitude you say. hasta lavista baby - or later **** wad. or you can use combinations...

like you'd be out wasting your time to record other people for sexual gain.. hahaha

sorry- but this really pisses me off. :shock:

What annoys me is that they have zero common sense.. What do they really think we are recording from 100-200FT? They literally look like ants anyways... I can understand if someone is hovering around people at 20FT on a beach or something... But even still, this wouldn't be an effective way of "spying" on people... The Phantom is noisy as hell... Not a very discrete way of secretly filming people :lol:

gmbn.inc said:
here in Australia it is ILLEGAL to take photos with a camera on a beach, even family photos... Hello!? 90% of people on the beach have camera equipped cell phones with them! Idiotic...

Your information is very wrong. It is not illegal to take photos on a beach in Australia.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.
Where did you get this bunk? Whoever told you that has no idea and I'm surprised that you believed it.
Australia isn't Saudi Arabia.

That's when I bring the phantom down low near the loudmouth and yell " Run for your life, I've lost control of this thing"

Fdnyfish said:
That's when I bring the phantom down low near the loudmouth and yell " Run for your life, I've lost control of this thing"

:lol:

I usually carry around a pair of small walkie-talkies when flying, if I ever get approached unreasonably like that I plan to look the person dead in the eye while I pull the radio off my hip and hold it up and say in to it, "this is unit 17, requesting backup"

Yup had a school get the Police onto me saying I was taking pics of the kids - the fact that I never flew on this "public" recreation ground until the nearby school had gone is immaterial. Anyway as I politely pointed out to the very sympathetic Policewoman, I had every right to fly in the public rec ground and I adhered to all the relevant CAA Guidelines, flew responsibly, and had adequate insurance, so what was i doing wrong ?.......nothing apparantly but would I mind not flying near school times to apease parents who are clearly ignorant and neurotic ! I wouldn't mind but I had been practising in that field for months every week and nobody said a word as I always flew when there was nobody about ffs !!!!

Had the people who moaned actually come to see me and asked me what I was doing and why, I would have been happy to have gone to the school and given them a lecture about what it is and what it does so they could make an opinion based on knowledge and not ignorant assumptions. Bloody snobby village anyway, and none of them complained when the same phantoms were helping out with flood relief work for the army !!!!

What really pisses me off is nearly every single person walking about has a bloody camera on their phone and could be taking pictures of anything. Its pethetic and winds me up no end why people cant mind their own business when im not doing any harm to anyone.

:twisted:

Three times for me so far about 10 flights. One didnt like i was flying pver dogs. Came up and commented to me. Second i was flying over a small man made lake and the guy says no motor boats allowed. Lol i looked at him strange and told my friend this isnt a motor boat. And the best yet flying over a beach during a sunset and someone came up to me and asked me to fly that thing much further away because it was interfering with his enjoyment of the sunset. I cant make these up.lol peole get upset with this toy and yet ive had more come over to me in admiration thinking it was the coolest thing. Go figure

You are better off not saying anything at all and just ignoring them as they want you to respond.

Or start working out and bulk up and get big then nobody will mess with you (unless they are bigger). Better learn to deal with it now as it will continue to happen.

Just say sorry sir/mam, I'm not getting into an arguement with you but I happen to know the law regarding my hobby because I researched it and I'm a responsible flyer. If you wish to know more about it I'd gladly chat to you about it but if it's an arguement you are looking for today I'm afraid you aren't going to get one off me. Have a good day :)

Kelso Kubat said:
snip...

...snip

Perhaps these overly self-conscious people are truly mentally ill--paranoid?

Don't some drugs and intoxicants make people paranoid?

And, from what I have read, there are those who are in the drugs trade, prostitution, public sex, etc. Even if those individuals are not mentally ill or intoxicated or both, they don't want any "witnesses". They probably would not want to call the police themselves because they do not want you to draw attention to themselves or their activities, so they posture to take the law into their own hands.

And, it's conceivable that some day some "pervert" might actually use a camera-equipped UAV to spy on others.

So far I have nothing except good reactions, people stopping to look at it. I tend to fly in an empty field where a factory used to be, so there is nobody there to be bothered. But I have flown in my neighborhood a few times.

Some of this reminds me of the way cops react to my gun being visible occasionally while I am carrying it. I am doing nothing wrong, but cops have told me to cover it up because it makes citizens nervous.

darwin-t said:
So far I have nothing except good reactions, people stopping to look at it. I tend to fly in an empty field where a factory used to be, so there is nobody there to be bothered. But I have flown in my neighborhood a few times.

Some of this reminds me of the way cops react to my gun being visible occasionally while I am carrying it. I am doing nothing wrong, but cops have told me to cover it up because it makes citizens nervous.

Noted :lol:

4wd said:
darwin-t said:

Haha yeah I dont think he'll get many complaints either :lol:

my gun being visible occasionally while I am carrying it. I am doing nothing wrong, but cops have told me to cover it up because it makes citizens nervous.[/quote]

Now theres an idea !!!!! Only trouble is id be tempted to use it on the bastards !! :lol:

And for the person who said pervs could use them for taking pictures, they are unlikely to be actually stupid enough to be in the vicinity given the distance we can fly these things, and again, every person walking around has a camera on their phone and nobody bats an eyelid when they are on the phone, when they could actually be taking pictures of kids !!!..............the whole things a nonsense !

:(

I like the idea of saying, "you're right - you've caught me. I'm spying on children. Call the police now." Or, telling them their right, I'm a Russian spy and I'm collecting state secrets hidden at the beach. What makes it good is really sticking to the ridiculous story even as they start to back off of it.

people are mostly plain ignorant, they got their own idea from what they heard on TV or from other ignorants, and have no clue what can be done or not and with what.
So far, every single time someone finds out that I fly a drone, the first reaction is " Oh, you're spying on people then...! or you're spying on your neighbours or whatever.
I just tell them that the with the kind of pictures you get with a Gopro as soon as you are at 30feet away is definitely not "spying"...
Apparently they don't make the difference, they need some kind of education. So far nobody has been agressive with me, but I am prepared to have to demonstrate that it's not what they think. I'm ok with that, it's better to explain and show what we do rather than going to a confrontation.
Anyway, people tend to be funny with pictures in general, many morons must think that they present some kind of interest, probably because of reality TV, they ear about invasion of privacy, so they repeat stupidly mixing right and wrong, what the law is and isn't...
I've got the example of a cretin on a Caribbean hotel beach one night, I was doing a time lapse of the stars, innocently. The guy came to me from nowhere telling me to stop. He was probably somewhere around doing some private stuff with his girlfriend, and I was the one wrong there!, I was just speechless! I didnt see anybody there in the pitch black night and I was minding my own business. I could have told him to Foxtrott/Oscar but this idiot just ruined my moment, having fun with my hobby, and I just left. Next time I will take pictures peacefully, remind me to bring a teaser just in case!

We live in a surveillance society--particularly as it pertains to:

+ Threats of terrorism--but never mind that more people die from intoxicated motor drivers.

+ Through the smoke mirror marketing world (aka Big Data) of overt and covert tracking on the Web, and the collaboration "Big Data" have with "Big Government". (Whereas technically government entities usually require warrants, commercial enterprises do not, so government often rely on commercial enterprises for their tracking data. This has proven particularly profitable for many key players on the Internet.

4wd said:
darwin-t said:

yeah... cant help to wonder if its hes glowing personality :mrgreen:

I am curious though. Are the negative experiences coming mostly from rural areas?
I fly in a park with kids all over the place and the parents are like "look at the ufo!" :) I live in brooklyn,NY btw. Maybe the people are a bit more used to technology?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20