Had my first crash today (and it was completely my fault!)

Reaction score
So, in wide open countryside all on my own on a beautiful sunny day.

First battery was a distance flight. Second battery was general flight and still photos of surroundings. Then the sun got to me! Third battery I was mucking about with Sports mode and getting cocky, swooping up the incline I was standing on and making some manoeuvres closer to the ground than I should have. On one of my swoops I misjudged and the P4 caught some longer grass, hitting the ground hard and fast.

Battery flew out and I thought I'd properly binned it. Walked up to the bird and inspected my completely self inflicted damage. Quite amazing really. All props were intact (except one where the top cap had detached) and two of the little covers at the top of the landing assembly had popped out. These will need replacing as the small round lugs that hold them in place have sheared. I've already contacted DJI to request replacement parts.

I replaced all props for new to be on the safe side and fired her up again. She flew perfectly and all is well after extensive testing.

So, today I got cocky with my flying. I have learned a valuable lesson there. I'm a very conscientious pilot in general that let my guard down today and was extremely lucky I didn't damage my aircraft beyond a prop and two small plastic tabs. Testament too the the excellent build quality of the P4 I have to say.

So Sports mode near the ground is not recommended obviously!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Very sorry to hear about the incident. I look at the Phantoms as a flying camera platform, and use it strictly for that purpose. Anything else, sport mode or not, is generally a bad idea.

Unless you are rich.
Rich people can do whatever they want.

Yeah you should never do that. Despite the long grass, people already discussed about altitude drop issue with P4.

Sorry about the crash. I do Sport Mode at high altitude, if at all. If I want to mess around I use the X5C.

Reactions: hotelzululima
Sorry about the crash. I do Sport Mode at high altitude, if at all. If I want to mess around I use the X5C.

I like the X5, but I like the X8c better.. it's bigger, faster and the same size as the Phantom, replicates the experience of the Phantom better. Ok sorry back on topic..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So glad it was only minor damage! Could have been a lot worse! While everyone is saying don't push it.
I disagree! As long as you are way out there with no one around i say push those limits! You will grow in your piloting skills and learn fast how the bird behaves and reacts.
I do agree though the Phantom is a drone photography platform, not a racer.
A mini van not a lambo

I got my 'buzzing' around phase out of me with my P1...crashed several times. lol

I don't do that with my recent birds. Too risky for me and I can't afford crashing/replacement.

Glad it wasn't too bad OP!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic