Had a standard 4 days.. It still works!!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm Si from Wolverhampton England.

I've had a standard 4 days now and to i'm loving it is an understatement. It's been a steep learning curve as I have a lot to live up to as I've crashed, and destroyed, every single remote control vehicle I've ever owned, land sea and air. But hey..,

Reading these forum posts I have learnt much more than from the dji videos (ie clicking s2 when signal is lost, instead of my initial thought of panicking and crashing :D), and that American guy in the DJI videos? With the teeth, hand gestures and smiling? Wtf is with him!? :D

Anyway, sorry to go on, I just have a few questions of you don't mind?

1: crash durability.

How strong is the aircraft itself? I did crash pretty hard and broke a propellor, my phantom is fine. How hard have they been crashed and survived?

2: controller battery.

How long are the batteries in the controller made to last? Can they be replaced?

3: propellors.

Is it best to buy them direct from DJI, or are these carbon fibre ones on eBay for around £10 any good.?

4: DJIgo app

I found out that the app doesn't work on iPhone 4s so currently having to use my iPad Air 2, anyone got any ideas on a decent cheaper phone that works on the app? My phone contract isn't up until November and I'm not gonna go pay £400 for an iPhone 6...

Last edited:
Use original DJI props and forget the carbon fiber ones they are to brittle and don't flex as the standard. Give to much vibration as most have found.

Reactions: Michael Frye
You've crashed and destroyed EVERY, and I mean EVERY single RC Device you've ever owned???
1st off Wow.... Well at least it sounds like failure isn't a option for you so I can appreciate that. Lol
1) Never Crashed my P3S so couldn't tell you, but I did have a Syma x8c (about the same dementions) and came down pretty hard 2 good times and it survived, no real damage sustained, camera still worked fine, only damage was two prop gaurds cracked. But the Gimbal Camera on the Phantom3 I would assume would be a different story.

2) not replaceable (from my knowledge ) unless your wiring and soldering skills are up to par.
No reports of controller battery's failing prematurely, and I don't think enough time has passed since the P3S has launched to say accurately the life expectancy.

3)I purchased the CF Props off Amazon.com w/free shipping. They're fine, Flys great, more stable, stronger (exactly how the reviews described)

4)I'm running Android, Samsung Galaxy Note 4. So not sure. I've read the 49.00 tablet works fine.

And also, Congrats on your P3S Purchase and Welcome to the Fourms. ✊

Yep. Every one :D my last remote controlled helicopter I crashed into my own face.. Only a little £30 thing.. But hey...

Thanks for all the advice, and the welcome..

Now if I could just get the app to work on my iPhone 4s...

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Yes welcome, I have crashed my Hubsan x4 into my own face breaking the skin while yelling at my kids in the front yard before...I mean my friend, yeah my friend not me =). Anyways if you can't get a new iPhone try one of those cheap tablets. You will need to get a larger clamp to hold it. I posted a video showing how to get the google play store (and hence any app to work including the DJI Go app). Granted you won't have gps but it seams that will only effect using follow me mode, and resetting the home point to your physical location( the controller not the bird).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a long list of crashes too, mostly technical issues. Loss of signal, failed motors etc. A couple of small helicopters simply blew away.
However, three phantoms and scores of flights over three years and only one crash, trialing after market propellers from Banggood, the thing flew like a trash can in a tornado.
Glad you're enjoying your Phantom, there are some reported issues with DJI products obviously but I think they are the best drone/quadcopter/UAV on the market. Enjoy

Get yourself a £60 7 inch android tablet and download the app from the dji site directly onto the tablet.
you really want a better display than the little 4s.

Argos are doing the Lenovo 7 inch tablet with GPS for £59 at moment. ..

Good luck fella,
Ian in Essex. ..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31