Had a Mavic "fly by"

Reaction score
I was out at my favorite practice area at a public ball field flying my P3A yesterday evening.
All of the sudden a Mavic whizzes by at about 50 feet in altitude and continues on over homes and then out of sight.

No way was this Mavic in line of sight with the pilot.
My question is does this bird have the ability to retain its signal with the controller not in line of sight? Was there a flight mode preset that would do this?

I was out at my favorite practice area at a public ball field flying my P3A yesterday evening.
All of the sudden a Mavic whizzes by at about 50 feet in altitude and continues on over homes and then out of sight.

No way was this Mavic in line of sight with the pilot.
My question is does this bird have the ability to retain its signal with the controller not in line of sight? Was there a flight mode preset that would do this?

Its control system is the same as the Phantom, which does work beyond VLOS. Or it could be an autonomous flight using Litchi or similar.

Reactions: uavflyr
A big difference between LOS and VLOS. Yes the Mavic needs roughly Line of Sight to prevent blocking of the signal but it can easily be flown out of Visual range. Some people have flown it as far away as 7 km from the home point (or more). Not legal in the U.S. but that doesn't seem to phase some people.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj