Had a close call this evening

Reaction score
Everything checked out.
Got the green light ready to fly.
Had many satellites locked on.

I flew it up and out over where I wanted to get some shots and it started throwing "Compass Error" warnings, "interference" error warnings and saying "ATTI Mode!". No more GPS.

Now the wind was breezy. A pretty stout breeze. Bad enough to really give me fits and a near heart attack. Luckily I've practiced in ATTI mode. I am not that good in ATTI especially being windy but I was good enough to hard land the bird with no damage. I thought for sure I was going to hit the trees and maybe the condos.

Needless to say that area is off limits.
Maybe all the concrete? The fencing?

Here's the harrowing video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Flying over and around reinforced concrete or steel is quite safe.
But launching from steel or reinforced concrete is very dangerous and can cause what you observed (if you're lucky) and sometimes much worse.

Good to know. I was over confident in that the DJI GO app told me I was all good to fly. I'll never launch from a concrete picnic table again!

Ain't flyin' in the wind off the cliffs fun in ATTI?

I did some photo shoot near a cliff and the light stand and flash took off into the wind and down into the rocks. I thought it was heavy enough, but Ma Nature won that one.

Ain't flyin' in the wind off the cliffs fun in ATTI?

I did some photo shoot near a cliff and the light stand and flash took off into the wind and down into the rocks. I thought it was heavy enough, but Ma Nature won that one.
Ouch!

Good to know. I was over confident in that the DJI GO app told me I was all good to fly. I'll never launch from a concrete picnic table again!
This post has a technical explanation of what causes the problem.
Looking for Trouble ??
The short message is don't launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces (or calibrate your compass close to them).
But flying 10-15 feet above them should be perfectly safe.

This post has a technical explanation of what causes the problem.
Looking for Trouble ??
The short message is don't launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces (or calibrate your compass close to them).
But flying 10-15 feet above them should be perfectly safe.
I consider myself very lucky I didn't lose this bird out over the ocean.

Reactions: klongx
I don't understand why you have encountered an issue with this flight. I have flown from concrete picnic tables multiple times. Never had issues. May be you never know until you have a problem, I guess. The thing is you didn't loose the video transmission. Confused why you had an issue?@&$@??

I don't understand why you have encountered an issue with this flight. I have flown from concrete picnic tables multiple times. Never had issues. May be you never know until you have a problem, I guess. The thing is you didn't loose the video transmission. Confused why you had an issue?@&$@??
Read the link in post #9

Yup I understand the issue now. Thanks Meta4. But I didn't realize that this is a P3 discussion. Mine is P4. May be DJI has rectified this on P4. Like I said whenever I go to a small park I always fly from concrete picnic table and never had any issues. It's been perfectly fine. So can't speak much about P3.

May be DJI has rectified this on P4. Like I said whenever I go to a small park I always fly from concrete picnic table and never had any issues. It's been perfectly fine. So can't speak much about P3.
P3 or P4 makes no difference. You've just been lucky
The table probably doesn't have as much steel as structural items do.
There have been many cases of serious problems due to launching from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.

Reactions: deltamike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan