Hacking my way to epic aerial filming with a Phantom

Just speaking for myself.... I just fly for the hobby and it would never pay for itself for me . I do think for those that can do so legally
It would be a good investment to get that kind of smooth footage . But for now
I'll just spend my money here at da bar :)
images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
And wish ;)
Is a nice project Neil and do hope ya the best with it !!
Cool Roo bro :cool:

So the goal is to control camera angles and leave position control in the hands of the pilot. That means I want to control tilt and yaw of the camera for any drone.

The way it works is in the case of a 3 axis gimbal, we can control purely the gimbals tilt and yaw and not touch the drone. However, in the case of a 2D gimbal, like on a phantom, we actually control the gimbal's tilt and the done's yaw. It's a really interesting user experience...almost surreal because the drone yaws itself and feels like it has a mind of it's own when you're filming.

That being said, we have a super easy way to switch between manual and auto modes so you're not tied to any one method.

Oh, that's great. Wasn't clear from the video or the materials that this device was able to control the yaw of the Phantom. That makes it far more interesting. Sign me up for the beta!

So the goal is to control camera angles and leave position control in the hands of the pilot. That means I want to control tilt and yaw of the camera for any drone.

The way it works is in the case of a 3 axis gimbal, we can control purely the gimbals tilt and yaw and not touch the drone. However, in the case of a 2D gimbal, like on a phantom, we actually control the gimbal's tilt and the done's yaw. It's a really interesting user experience...almost surreal because the drone yaws itself and feels like it has a mind of it's own when you're filming.

That being said, we have a super easy way to switch between manual and auto modes so you're not tied to any one method.
Hey Neil,
That being said, since the device is capable of controlling the yaw of the Phantom, wouldn't you also be able to control the pitch and roll of the quad and give the Phantom a "follow me" like feature? Something like that as an additional feature would make the device that much more appealing to an even larger audience. Also, is there anyway to externally access the computer in the device like through Ethernet or wifi and does the device have a micro memory slot? I've been experimenting with strapping my WiFi Pineapple, which is a computer of sorts to the Phantom to carry out pen testing (at altitude LOL). If one was able to access the computer of the device through some type of interface then maybe I could also have the ability to boot up the Pineapples software and that would be awesome! I know it would probably add a little more weight but being able to have a dual use of the device opens up even more possibilities and the trade off might be worth it. Just thinking out loud... ;)
BOT

Last edited:
Hey Neil,
That being said, since the device is capable of controlling the yaw of the Phantom, wouldn't you also be able to control the pitch and roll of the quad and give the Phantom a "follow me" like feature? Something like that as an additional feature would make the device that much more appealing to an even larger audience. Also, is there anyway to externally access the computer in the device like through Ethernet or wifi and does the device have a micro memory slot? I've been experimenting with strapping my WiFi Pineapple, which is a computer of sorts to the Phantom to carry out pen testing (at altitude LOL). If one was able to access the computer of the device through some type of interface then maybe I could also have the ability to boot up the Pineapples software and that would be awesome! I know it would probably add a little more weight but being able to have a dual use of the device opens up even more possibilities and the trade off might be worth it. Just thinking out loud... ;)
BOT

Hey ! Sorry I had a take a little break while traveling. Back on the forum! So right now we're only controlling yaw because controlling the position of the drone means we need GPS + IMU information from the drone and the Phantom autopilot doesn't let you read that. They may potentially release a new autopilot soon that lets you read all data so when that happens, we'll definitely make it compatible.

Ethernet makes sense! We weren't planning to make the product hackable really but maybe we could have a version that exposed the eth interface. I'll keep you guys posted :)

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
So right now we're only controlling yaw because controlling the position of the drone means we need GPS + IMU information from the drone and the Phantom autopilot doesn't let you read that. They may potentially release a new autopilot soon that lets you read all data so when that happens, we'll definitely make it compatible.
Thanks for the reply Neil,
Darn! Knowing how protective DJI is of its info I'm not going to hold my breath on them letting loose of that..
tugkckg7r47kl9l6g.jpg

I was thinking, okay... then how about developing an add on package that incorporates GPS/IMU like the VN-200 chip from Vectornav and getting the data from that. That could possibly open up a whole new revenue stream. Well, that was until I seen the price for the VN-200, $2,100. Scratch that...:D
sh9z3oeaep1v7b36g.jpg

Thanks for the update Neil. Will be looking forward to new news!
BOT

Very interested. Not for a Phantom but for an S900 + GH4 set up. Does it work on the A2?

I noticed it uses 2.4GHz. Not sure that's going to play nicely with Lightbridge. Any plans to switch to 5.8GHz?

Hi guys. It's been a while since I updated this thread. And that's because for the last few months we've been working on something totally different. We've just launched the Vertical Studio App, that packs all our machine vision software into Android and iOS apps for DJI Phantom and Inspire - and we're handing it out to beta testers for free.

I just posted a new thread for the app here. Please check it out and let me know if you'd like to beta test:)

Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Hi guys. It's been a while since I updated this thread. And that's because for the last few months we've been working on something totally different. We've just launched the Vertical Studio App, that packs all our machine vision software into Android and iOS apps for DJI Phantom and Inspire - and we're handing it out to beta testers for free.

I just posted a new thread for the app here. Please check it out and let me know if you'd like to beta test:)

Vertical Studio - Looking for Beta Testers | DJI Phantom Forum
What are you using, OpenCV?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20