H4-3D Power

Reaction score
Does the H4-3D power the GoPro or does the GoPro have to have a full charged GoPro battery while in flight?

Does the H4-3D power the GoPro or does the GoPro have to have a full charged GoPro battery while in flight?

If the gimbal is mounted to a phantom 2 it will power the GoPro.

If you don't have the USB cavle plugged in for fpv then it will charge the gopro.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you don't have the USB cavle plugged in for fpv then it will charge the gopro.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NO! Think about it.

I meant if you DO have it plugged in.... The reason I mentioned it is that if you have lightbridge you can disconnect the USB since the fpv works over hdmi and the gopro runs off of its own battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

That's correct if you're using HDMI for video output.

OK, but what If I dont have FPV or a Lightbridge? All I have is a P2 with an attached Zenmuse H4-3D gimbal. I do know that the gimbal plugs into the side of of the camera.

OK, but what If I dont have FPV or a Lightbridge? All I have is a P2 with an attached Zenmuse H4-3D gimbal. I do know that the gimbal plugs into the side of of the camera.

Your original question was does the gimbal charge the GoPro's battery and the answer to that was yes the gimbal does supply to the GoPro. So since you do not have FPV nor Lightbridge so what's your problem?

There are several things at play here you can either plug the USB into the side of the camera or not. The camera will continue to record for as long as it has power or until the SD card is filled which depends on the video resolution you're recording at and the size of the memory card.

Sorry for the ignorance but I'm as new as new can be. Just trying to figure this all out. Some of the responses mentioned the FPV and Lightbridge which throws me off that much more. The only plug from the gimbal to the camera is this........ And I didnt know if that alone will/or keeps the Go Pro charged.

Attachments

• $5BC564660E55CC97.jpg
    $5BC564660E55CC97.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 337
Sorry for the ignorance but I'm as new as new can be. Just trying to figure this all out. Some of the responses mentioned the FPV and Lightbridge which throws me off that much more. The only plug from the gimbal to the camera is this........ And I didnt know if that alone will/or keeps the Go Pro charged.

Like I said you can either plug the USB in and charge the battery while video taping or just run it on it's own battery. You would be better off plugging it into the camera instead of flapping in the wind or buy a FPV system to see what the camera is seeing which will cost less then $400 dollars.

The line from the movie was "What we have here is a failure to communicate". What USB do you keep speaking of? There is no USB on the Gimbal flapping in the wind and I've shown you a picture of the only thing that plugs into the side of the camera. I'm totally lost in your explination but thanks for trying to help.

The line from the movie was "What we have here is a failure to communicate". What USB do you keep speaking of? There is no USB on the Gimbal flapping in the wind and I've shown you a picture of the only thing that plugs into the side of the camera. I'm totally lost in your explination but thanks for trying to help.

Guess with all the questions you've been asking I should have guessed that you don't even have a h4-3d gimbal. Now do you?

I do. Just got it for Christmas. It came with the Phantom 2 as a package. I had to assemble it and mount it to the copter along with putting my GoPro in it. Still have the box but there sure isn't any USB port on the gimbal. Have you ever seen a H4-3D in person? It looks like you have the H3-3D. Maybe thats different.

I do. Just got it for Christmas. It came with the Phantom 2 as a package. I had to assemble it and mount it to the copter along with putting my GoPro in it. Still have the box but there sure isn't any USB port on the gimbal. Have you ever seen a H4-3D in person? It looks like you have the H3-3D. Maybe thats different.

You have exactly 7 days with your equipment while I have been doing 21 plus months. The only difference between H3-3D and H4-3D was the latter was designed for GoPro hero 4 due both weight the wifi button on the side of the camera. Both gimbals come with a ribbon cable with a USB adaptor which plugs into USB port on the camera. Watch the video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
H4-3D gimbal.jpg

Dude, look back about 6 posts ago to my post from 1216pm today. I posted basically the same picture asking you if that was the plug you were talking about. As for the video it's the same one I watched as I put mine together and mounted it all those 7 days ago. I'll consider the subject closed. Thanks for the help and support of the new guy. Obviously, you knew it all when you started those 21 "plus" months ago and didn't have to ask these stupid questions. :)

Dude, look back about 6 posts ago to my post from 1216pm today. I posted basically the same picture asking you if that was the plug you were talking about. As for the video it's the same one I watched as I put mine together and mounted it all those 7 days ago. I'll consider the subject closed. Thanks for the help and support of the new guy. Obviously, you knew it all when you started those 21 "plus" months ago and didn't have to ask these stupid questions. :)

I take you didn't watch the video as it shows you the same USB connector.

I spent 20 years in electronics repairing and assembling electronic equipment so working with P2's comes pretty easy. Do I makes mistakes sure just like everyone else. You have a choice either plug the USB adapter into the USB port on the camera or don't. But don't come back and tell me that since I only have h3-3d gimbal I know nothing about h4-3d you are dead wrong.

Well, that got a little ugly (unnecessarily). We are here to help each other so...

I would like to add some additional information as I have a Phantom 2 w/the H4-3D Gimbal using a Hero4 Black (although I started with a Silver and the weight difference that people talk about is insignificant and irrelevant).

While this has already been answered, the connection from the Gimbal to the GoPro is in fact a USB connector, using the same port you would use to charge your GoPro regularly. And yes, it does charge/power the GoPro directly from the flight battery. There is however more going on in that connection than just power. There is also a live video out connection coming from that same connection, you just need to purchase and install a couple of additional items to take full advantage of it.

The first thing you need is a DJI iOSD Mini (On Screen Display) and the second is a 5.8 GHz Transmitter/Receiver along with a monitor to be able to view that live while you are flying. This really is a must and a worthwhile investment. Really the only true way to know just where your camera is pointing. This is good for both knowing where you are flying and framing your shot.

I suggest you watch this video (although there a plenty with the same information, I like this one as it shows you how to do the installation without cutting any wires as they give you the information on where to purchase the cable harness you need.) Here is the video:

You can purchase the iOSD Mini from various places including Amazon.com for around $60 Amazon.com : DJI iOSD Mini On-Screen Display for Real-Time Flight Information (Black) : Camera And Camcorder Remote Controls : Camera & Photo

I have this Amazon.com: Boscam 32Ch 5.8G 600mw 5km Wireless AV Transmitter TS832 Receiver RC832 for FPV: Electronics ($45 on Amazon Prime)

You will also need a monitor and mount. Let me know if you need information on those things and I'll be glad to give you more information.

Best of luck to you and happy flying. Gaining the perspective of having your camera in the air is truly an amazing experience! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dhornick
Well, that got a little ugly (unnecessarily). We are here to help each other so...

I would like to add some additional information as I have a Phantom 2 w/the H4-3D Gimbal using a Hero4 Black (although I started with a Silver and the weight difference that people talk about is insignificant and irrelevant).

While this has already been answered, the connection from the Gimbal to the GoPro is in fact a USB connector, using the same port you would use to charge your GoPro regularly. And yes, it does charge/power the GoPro directly from the flight battery. There is however more going on in that connection than just power. There is also a live video out connection coming from that same connection, you just need to purchase and install a couple of additional items to take full advantage of it.

The first thing you need is a DJI iOSD Mini (On Screen Display) and the second is a 5.8 GHz Transmitter/Receiver along with a monitor to be able to view that live while you are flying. This really is a must and a worthwhile investment. Really the only true way to know just where your camera is pointing. This is good for both knowing where you are flying and framing your shot.

I suggest you watch this video (although there a plenty with the same information, I like this one as it shows you how to do the installation without cutting any wires as they give you the information on where to purchase the cable harness you need.) Here is the video:

You can purchase the iOSD Mini from various places including Amazon.com for around $60 Amazon.com : DJI iOSD Mini On-Screen Display for Real-Time Flight Information (Black) : Camera And Camcorder Remote Controls : Camera & Photo

I have this Amazon.com: Boscam 32Ch 5.8G 600mw 5km Wireless AV Transmitter TS832 Receiver RC832 for FPV: Electronics ($45 on Amazon Prime)

You will also need a monitor and mount. Let me know if you need information on those things and I'll be glad to give you more information.

Best of luck to you and happy flying. Gaining the perspective of having your camera in the air is truly an amazing experience! :)

Thank you sir. I have already started acquiring the needed items for the FPV setup. The only thing I am lacking at the point is the 7" Black Pearl monitor which will come shortly then I'll be full FPV. Thank you so much for your answer.

Thank you sir. I have already started acquiring the needed items for the FPV setup. The only thing I am lacking at the point is the 7" Black Pearl monitor which will come shortly then I'll be full FPV. Thank you so much for your answer.
Not a problem. I see you had a question regard video vs photo in another thread but since I am here, I'll give you my feed back on that over on that thread.

Glad to hear you are making progress though! :)

Phil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers