h3d 2d /3d or similar gimbal

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions but i have searched extensively all morning and cannot find a direct answer. Will the zenmuse gimbals mentioned H3-2d or H3-3d work with the phantom fc40? it says if you are using naza v1 that you need an upgrade, I assume the fc40 is on nava v2 so will it work straight out of the box??:

Can anyone recommend similar gimbals for go pro 3 as the zenmuse ones are a bit expensive but there seems to be many used ones on ebay. I have seen vids of the walkera gimbal being used will this fit easy or require a mod?

kindest regards

chaghal said:
Hi,

Sorry for all the dumb newbie questions but i have searched extensively all morning and cannot find a direct answer. Will the zenmuse gimbals mentioned H3-2d or H3-3d work with the phantom fc40? it says if you are using naza v1 that you need an upgrade, I assume the fc40 is on nava v2 so will it work straight out of the box??:

Can anyone recommend similar gimbals for go pro 3 as the zenmuse ones are a bit expensive but there seems to be many used ones on ebay. I have seen vids of the walkera gimbal being used will this fit easy or require a mod?

kindest regards

Zenmuse:
will they work out of the box? No
Will you have to do some tinkering with your phantom for it to work? yes
Is it worth doing it? No

Other Gimbals:
I have tried a goodluckbuy 2 axis gimbal. I do not like the lack of plug and play and the ZERO directions for it. I think mine was broken too. I returned it. If you know what you are doing with soldering and gimbal software, feel free to get it here.

2Axis Gimbal
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gl-2x-2-axis ... raphy.html

They also have a 3 axis gimbal
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gl-3x-3-axis ... m-1-2.html

In both gimbals, the wiring is a mess.

I have a walkera 2 axis gimbal. If you go for walkera, do yourself a favor.
BUY FROM THE US!

Luckily, UJToys has 2 types in stock. A plastic one and a metal one. The plastic is a bit lighter and I've never used it, so I dont know if it breaks easily (it's cheaper too). All you really need to do with this one is run power to it and then run some wires from the naza to the controller. A real simple setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-G-2D-2- ... 19efd6519a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walkera-G-2D-Br ... 4ad64f8056

I do recommend that if you do get the Walkera, to reverse the top metal bracket as it will interfere with your battery door

thanks for the response, im in the uk, so its either uk or hong kong :-(

what kind of mods would the walkera require?

I didnt think the zenmuse would require mods, is it just the control unit for the naza?

chaghal said:
thanks for the response, im in the uk, so its either uk or hong kong :-(

what kind of mods would the walkera require?

I didnt think the zenmuse would require mods, is it just the control unit for the naza?

im not entirely sure what is needed for the zenmuse. But I believe you need to add something to the drone itself. I dont know.

The walkera requires 2 small mods:

1: Reverse the top plate so it doesnt interfere with the battery door.
2: Put zip ties on the feet of the phantom to raise its height just a tad. The walkera is a little long and will touch the ground

I bought some longer legs off ebay to give it a good clearance.

Thx guys think im going for the walkera g2d seems easy enough to fit. What kind of flight time would I be looking if I power off the same battery really don't want to weight it even more gonna be using go pro 3

chaghal said:
Thx guys think im going for the walkera g2d seems easy enough to fit. What kind of flight time would I be looking if I power off the same battery really don't want to weight it even more gonna be using go pro 3

5- 7 min?
If you buy a maddog 2700mah battery, you will get almost 10 min, depending on how you fly.

Also, the vision props add to the time

thanks for info, im getting 8-9mins stock atm if i get 7 ill be happy as i have 3 batts and not too into long flights , vision 2 props will be nxt uprgade but they are quite expensive on ebay uk, about 25 pounds a pair , cant source maddog batteries here and not too confident in other non dji batts that claim higher Mah...

Thanks Dragonash.

I've been checking out the plastic version. I dont see a weight listed. Since its Walkera I would think its fairly rugged and made with good plastic. I have no problem with plastic if its tough.

I dont have some questions: one is, it seems from the ebay picture that the baseplate is already reversed. Yes?
Two, will this accept an FC40 camera and not jitter (because of the lower weight of the FC40 cam)?

I'd like to get an SJ4000 later, but try a gimbal now. High winds are making my videos "less than watchable". :roll:

Cheers.

2014fc40 said:
Thanks Dragonash.

I've been checking out the plastic version. I dont see a weight listed. Since its Walkera I would think its fairly rugged and made with good plastic. I have no problem with plastic if its tough.

I dont have some questions: one is, it seems from the ebay picture that the baseplate is already reversed. Yes?
Two, will this accept an FC40 camera and not jitter (because of the lower weight of the FC40 cam)?

I'd like to get an SJ4000 later, but try a gimbal now. High winds are making my videos "less than watchable". :roll:

Cheers.

I think the weight of the walkera gimbal is about 150 grams from memory.
Re the using the stock camera in the gimbal you MUST get it as close to the holder as possible, if its too far forward the gimbal will not be balanced and it will go haywire.

2014fc40 said:
Thanks Dragonash.

Cheers.

The TOP plates are not reversed in the pictures. You need to rotate the plate 180 degrees because of where the mounting holes are.

And I emailed a company selling the plastic gimbal and I think it was around 10 grams lighter.

Also, I have seen people tape something on the side of the FC40 cam to help balance it out while others say nothing is needed. One way to find out though ;)

So you mean like stuck on the backplate with velcro? Its a vertical plate so it either that or glue on the original FC40 cam holder...
$_35.JPG

dragonash said:
2014fc40 said:
Thanks Dragonash.

Cheers.

The TOP plates are not reversed in the pictures. You need to rotate the plate 180 degrees because of where the mounting holes are.

And I emailed a company selling the plastic gimbal and I think it was around 10 grams lighter.

Also, I have seen people tape something on the side of the FC40 cam to help balance it out while others say nothing is needed. One way to find out though ;)
------------------

YUP, ONE way...lol.
So, I'm going to lose a fair amount of fly time minutes too eh? Like 6-8?
I dont know what I thought, but I didnt really factor that into the equation until recently....dur.

2014fc40 said:
So you mean like stuck on the backplate with velcro? Its a vertical plate so it either that or glue on the original FC40 cam holder...
$_35.JPG

Yes, I used velcro on the gimbal, then the reverse velcro onto a plastic sheet of 2mm thickness, then velcro and velcro on back of camera.

so Velcro, Velcro plastic sheet, velcro, velcro camera.

Attachments

• DSCF3675.JPG
    DSCF3675.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 614
Was the Velcro plastic sheet, velcro, velcro camera a cushion to stop jello vibration?

2014fc40 said:
Was the Velcro plastic sheet, velcro, velcro camera a cushion to stop jello vibration?

No just to clear the frame of the gimbal.

Probably could have got away with thinner plastic sheet but 2mm is what i had to hand.
The velcro i had is quite thick.

OK thanks Robinb, I'm sure I'll know what you mean when I have a 2d gimbal in my hot little hands. Not sure what you needed to clear though.

Round peg in square hole is the problem.

ie camera shape is different from gimbal frame.

Ah, I get it, the frame back sticks out a little.
Well I've got one on order. Should be here this weekend. I'm jazzed.
We flew in some pretty gusty winds last weekend. Recording was all over like a cat was up there swatting it... lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers