H3-3D version V1 vs V1.1

Reaction score
I know that some time ago the gimbal wad "updated", now with the v1.1 version it has a connection through usb on the side.

Was there anything wrong with the v1 gimbal?

Which ones do you have guys?

And what version would you choose when buying now? :)

According to Daves Motors.

Hi Josh,

you would have received the original version. The v1.1 only arrived yesterday and earlier this week we ran out of inventory on the older unit. If you have no intention for running the light bridge then the older unit is better because it will power the GoPro in flight, plus it allows for access to your micro SD card/USB port so you can pull pictures/videos easier.

Your decision! :lol:

Lightbridge is super-expensive to me at the moment so I have no intention of taking advantage of that. So for now I'm happy that my gimbal powers the GoPro.

EDIT: To answer your question... No idea, V1, V1. :lol:

Kicerk52 said:
I know that some time ago the gimbal wad "updated", now with the v1.1 version it has a connection through usb on the side.

Was there anything wrong with the v1 gimbal?

Which ones do you have guys?

And what version would you choose when buying now? :)
I'm literally just trying to make this choice now, the dealer has both in stock and I am ordering today.

I'd prefer v1.0 as it's neater and exactly like the 2D but I not sure if DJI may have made some other tweaks to v.1.1 ?

By the way, the v1.1 version is powered via the USB socket, so it does in fact power/ charge the battery in flight, but is fiddlier and more prone to snapping the ribbon cable.

v1.1 is featured in this DJI video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOoU-RftvV8

I have the original H3 3D (from Daves Motors) and I'm very happy with it. I'm a little skeptical of the new versions' side connector appears to be a very fragile connector. Plus I really have no plans for lightbridge.

A note for all considering H3 - when installing retaining pins (shown in video) DJI instructs to put retaining pins in M1 & M3 position - do not install M3 position pin as this will restrict H3 movement (rear of gimbal hits M3 pin). Instead use small wire tie so you still have retaining point but get full movement of gimbal.

EMCSQUAR said:
I have the original H3 3D (from Daves Motors) and I'm very happy with it. I'm a little skeptical of the new versions' side connector appears to be a very fragile connector. Plus I really have no plans for lightbridge.

A note for all considering H3 - when installing retaining pins (shown in video) DJI instructs to put retaining pins in M1 & M3 position - do not install M3 position pin as this will restrict H3 movement (rear of gimbal hits M3 pin). Instead use small wire tie so you still have retaining point but get full movement of gimbal.
Cheers for the advice. I went for a v1.

btw. Have you got the interference board attached?

Sorry to bump this old thread but it's been a few weeks and I'm wondering if any other differences between v1 and v1.1 have been discovered? I know v1.1 has the USB connection and is lightbridge compatible but are there any other differences?

I ordered yesterday from B&H. No clue which one I'm getting. I got this from the aerial support guy in chat:

Unfortunately there's no way for us to determine which version a customer will be receiving at this time. DJI has shipped us both versions under the same product number. We are working on a way to sort these out and SKU them up differently.
I'm pretty confident most new orders will be receiving v1.1 with the connection cable. But there is no way for me to confirm this at this time.

I gotta brush up on my install options. I'll be all up in those threads today.

uscpsycho said:
Sorry to bump this old thread but it's been a few weeks and I'm wondering if any other differences between v1 and v1.1 have been discovered? I know v1.1 has the USB connection and is lightbridge compatible but are there any other differences?

The Lightbridge compatibility story is pure fiction - V 1.0 works fine with Lightbridge, and has the advantage that it powers the GoPro and doesn't need the ridiculously fragile ribbon cable.

Another poster has reported in a couple of other threads that DJI informed him that the change was solely due to them being unable to source the rear panel connector. It has also been suggested that the reason for that might be that they never properly licensed its use, but that is speculation.

sar104 said:
uscpsycho said:

The Lightbridge compatibility story is pure fiction - V 1.0 works fine with Lightbridge, and has the advantage that it powers the GoPro and doesn't need the ridiculously fragile ribbon cable.

Another poster has reported in a couple of other threads that DJI informed him that the change was solely due to them being unable to source the rear panel connector. It has also been suggested that the reason for that might be that they never properly licensed its use, but that is speculation.
I have not read that v1.0 is lightbridge compatible anywhere, are you sure about this. I am 100% certain that both versions power the GoPro, initial reports that v1.1 wouldn't are fiction.

I have read speculation that there was a balancing issue and the weight distribution of v1.1 results in smoother video. But I haven't seen anything that I'd consider concrete about this.

uscpsycho said:
sar104 said:
uscpsycho said:

I have not read that v1.0 is lightbridge compatible anywhere, are you sure about this. I am 100% certain that both versions power the GoPro, initial reports that v1.1 wouldn't are fiction.

I have read speculation that there was a balancing issue and the weight distribution of v1.1 results in smoother video. But I haven't seen anything that I'd consider concrete about this.

I am running Lightbridge with V 1.0 so yes, I am quite sure that they are compatible. To clarify the charging comment - that is a reference to using it with Lightbridge - V1.1 will charge the camera if it is connected via USB for a regular SD FPV video feed, but not if the HDMI connector is used for an HD feed to Lightbridge.

sar104 said:
I am running Lightbridge with V 1.0 so yes, I am quite sure that they are compatible. To clarify the charging comment - that is a reference to using it with Lightbridge - V1.1 will charge the camera if it is connected via USB for a regular SD FPV video feed, but not if the HDMI connector is used for an HD feed to Lightbridge.
Very interesting. I read something from DJI that said v1.1 couldn't charge the GoPro which was later proven wrong by many people. But I guess what DJI meant to say was that you can't charge in combination with Lightbridge, however, they didn't explicitly say that.

Anyway, I have no plans to ever use Lightbridge so sounds like v1.0 is best unless there is some truth to the theories about weight distribution. Or if there are some other differences that haven't been mentioned yet.

uscpsycho said:
sar104 said:
Very interesting. I read something from DJI that said v1.1 couldn't charge the GoPro which was later proven wrong by many people. But I guess what DJI meant to say was that you can't charge in combination with Lightbridge, however, they didn't explicitly say that.

Anyway, I have no plans to ever use Lightbridge so sounds like v1.0 is best unless there is some truth to the theories about weight distribution. Or if there are some other differences that haven't been mentioned yet.

The charging issue was mentioned in some of the install documentation for LB, and was fairly unambiguous, but then was misreported multiple times on the forums.

I haven't seen any significant weight distribution issues with the 1.0. It is a fraction left side heavy (as seen from the front), but that is completely corrected by the slight additional weight of the HDMI cable, so it appears to fly balanced and smooth.

On that basis I think that for both SD and HD, 1.0 is superior in all respects to 1.1, which seems to be a rushed and poor solution to a connector supply problem. At some point I assume that DJI will do this properly and make another version that includes the rear panel connector again, and uses the rear panel HDMI pins to feed both SD and HD through the slip rings, eliminating the dangling cables altogether.

By the way - you might want to try LB before you decide it's not worth it - it is very impressive.

sar104 said:
The charging issue was mentioned in some of the install documentation for LB, and was fairly unambiguous, but then was misreported multiple times on the forums.

I haven't seen any significant weight distribution issues with the 1.0. It is a fraction left side heavy (as seen from the front), but that is completely corrected by the slight additional weight of the HDMI cable, so it appears to fly balanced and smooth.

On that basis I think that for both SD and HD, 1.0 is superior in all respects to 1.1, which seems to be a rushed and poor solution to a connector supply problem. At some point I assume that DJI will do this properly and make another version that includes the rear panel connector again, and uses the rear panel HDMI pins to feed both SD and HD through the slip rings, eliminating the dangling cables altogether.

By the way - you might want to try LB before you decide it's not worth it - it is very impressive.
Who said it wasn't worth it? ;)

It is expensive and this is just a hobby for me so can't see myself buying that unless I was making money from it. Also it's more gear to carry around. I'm definitely planning to get FPV gear but I'll be getting a diversity monitor so that I don't have to lug around a receiver and more batteries.

What the heck? Does this make sense to anyone?

This was a reply from an email I sent on Sunday, inquiring about which version of the H3-3D I would be getting if I ordered it. (I ended up ordering yesterday, just rolling the dice because I sold my 2D gimbal and wanted to have something before this weekend). Anyway, this was the delayed reply to my email:

The H3-3D gimbal you have received is the newest version (v1.1) that DJI has released. This includes the ribbon cable which plugs into the GoPro. This has two major benefits. You can now use the GoPro with the protective skeleton housing on it. And also this version supports the new DJI Lightbridge transmission system. This is used for HD wireless video transmission so you can have an HD FPV capability with this product.

poostik said:
What the heck? Does this make sense to anyone?

This was a reply from an email I sent on Sunday, inquiring about which version of the H3-3D I would be getting if I ordered it. (I ended up ordering yesterday, just rolling the dice because I sold my 2D gimbal and wanted to have something before this weekend). Anyway, this was the delayed reply to my email:

The H3-3D gimbal you have received is the newest version (v1.1) that DJI has released. This includes the ribbon cable which plugs into the GoPro. This has two major benefits. You can now use the GoPro with the protective skeleton housing on it. And also this version supports the new DJI Lightbridge transmission system. This is used for HD wireless video transmission so you can have an HD FPV capability with this product.

Nothing there sounds correct. As I mentioned previously, LB works fine with the 1.0, and adding a protective housing, even if it fitted, would presumably seriously unbalance the gimbal.

So that dude told me all that stuff about v1.1, the skeleton case and how I'd be getting 1.1 - It came today and it's v1. :lol:

Poor dude is probably getting all his info wrong from some database of info or something. I'll reply and let him know.

Probably the same guy that told me the gimbal was shipped with the mounting adapter and legs! They really need to get it together. Apparently they never read forums we all knew the real story after a couple of days, they're still giving out the wrong info

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj