H3-3d "twitch" in initialization process, and then drifts

Re: H3-3d "twitch" in initialization process, and then drift

To the people who keep mentioning using locktight on your phantoms... maybe you should read up a bit and see that locktight will destroy your phantom plastics and is not to be used!

I think the main problem here is compass/magnetic interference. I'm experience the same behavour at startup.
Performed an reassembly of the h3-3d regarding installation of iosd mini and plastic strips, started it up on an wooden table and it was acting normal on startup.

Then I shut my phantom off and started it up on my garagefloor (concrete with steelreinforcement) and then suddenly the problem was back.

See video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctbNrG7Wqsk

odlaen said:
I think the main problem here is compass/magnetic interference. I'm experience the same behavour at startup.
Performed an reassembly of the h3-3d regarding installation of iosd mini and plastic strips, started it up on an wooden table and it was acting normal on startup.

Then I shut my phantom off and started it up on my garagefloor (concrete with steelreinforcement) and then suddenly the problem was back.

Your video shows it twitching and drifting on the floor but not working properly on your table? I've started mine in a variety of environments but it always twitches out and drifts left or right.

Captain Salty said:
odlaen said:

Your video shows it twitching and drifting on the floor but not working properly on your table? I've started mine in a variety of environments but it always twitches out and drifts left or right.

The video is taken on the concrete floor in my livingroom.
When I started up my phantom on the table after reassembly it was fine. But after I started my phantom on the floor it was all bad again, even on the table.

I've also tried the reset/reupgrade gimbal trick from DJI support, without any luck.
DJI have also told me to do an advanced imu calibration and compass calibration. Have not tried this because I have read about people trying it with no success.

Finally got a reply from DJI about the twitching and drifting - in typical DJI style they explained at great length about it.....

So DJI says it's normal - B&H say send it back to them for replacement, it's not normal.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Attachments

• DJI Reply 1.jpg
    DJI Reply 1.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 454

dont you just need the adapter plate?

I got my bp2 with H33D last week and it came with slightly longer legs and a adapter plate that went between the phantom and the top plate creating a clearence.
before I found that in the box the gimbal was hard up against the shell.

Note, mine has no large hole for the gimbal to sit inside the shell like others seem to have

I just ran across another thread on this same top. Point the phantom nose to the North. Then power up the phantom. It shouldn't act up. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. It seems to act up more when facing South. DJI knows about this issue and says it should be fixed in the next firmware update.

Re: How to get rid of the twitching & drifting! This works!

Postby Captain Salty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:19 pm
Just plugged my phantom in and there is an update: P330CB - Version 1.0.1.30

Can confirm this has taken away the twitching and drifting for me. However, my gimbal went MENTAL while the update was in progress, all kinds of nasty grinding noises while it flipped about.

Captain Salty said:
Re: How to get rid of the twitching & drifting! This works!

Postby Captain Salty » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:19 pm
Just plugged my phantom in and there is an update: P330CB - Version 1.0.1.30

Can confirm this has taken away the twitching and drifting for me. However, my gimbal went MENTAL while the update was in progress, all kinds of nasty grinding noises while it flipped about.

I got same update and results. Looks better to me however gimbal is now sitting ever so slightly tilted toward the pitch motor (right side about 1cm lower) and it just barely effects the horizon. Tried calibrations with no resolve. I think it will be okay once it's up in the air.

The trick of pointing it true North worked for me.... during the initializing process anyway, which is great as Ive had this twitching and drifting problem since the unboxing, but should I want to start the P2 in another direction other than exactly 0 degrees, it does the same old thing. Seems like it should be an easy fix for some firmware.
BTW, Ive had this issue before I ever put any ND filter on it, but when I saw this trick, I kept the ND filter on it and the initialization worked better than ever before..... I really dont think the small added weight has an effect on the gimbal if you keep it simple. :cool:

**** ME, Shoulda looked for an update before the rant.... Since the latest update, ( I almost daily look for updates) , the gimbal and P2 are doing fine. Sometimes I get caught up in all the mad rants of the phantom pilots looking for an instant fix when really, you have to look at these fine pieces of electronics and machinery coming together and it might take some time to get it all dialed. I for one have been pleasantly surprised with the reliability and craftsmanship of these UAV's. Especially considering the competition out there these days... Thanks DJI, you are listening......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20