H3-3d "twitch" in initialization process, and then drifts

Reaction score
Just upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0.6, and now the gimbal has started doing this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUTOY8F87M[/youtube]

After the horizontal "waggle", it now twitches a few times as if it is hitting a hard stop, and then it drifts in the yaw axis to the left or right. Any ideas what's happening? I've removed the plastics pins, and I've also clearanced the battery because those were both issues with mine. Nothing is physicaly interfering with the yaw axis anymore.

I have calibrated the IMU (needed to do it on a PC, as it wouldn't calibrate using the Mac software), but it didn't change.

I will add that, if I pick up the phantom and move it around, it seems to find "centre" and gets rid of the drift. It's more the "hard stop twitch" that has me worried.

Thanks!
W

Re: H3-3d "twitch" in initialization process, and then drift

Mine has done exactly the same from the start, and I've heard other reports of similar behavior. It seems to be fine by the time it takes off, so I haven't worried too much about it.

Good to know - thanks for the confirmation!

Another possible factor that has been discussed is that when installed per DJI instructions, the H3-3D top motor can still rub against the battery in at least some cases. Inspection of the battery will probably show a metallic mark if that is happening. If that is the case it is worth adding 2 mm of nylon washers under the gimbal mount plate to prevent friction from interfering with the gimbal yaw.

sar104 said:
Another possible factor that has been discussed is that when installed per DJI instructions, the H3-3D top motor can still rub against the battery in at least some cases. Inspection of the battery will probably show a metallic mark if that is happening. If that is the case it is worth adding 2 mm of nylon washers under the gimbal mount plate to prevent friction from interfering with the gimbal yaw.
Won't you need to upgrade to larger screws as well??? :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
sar104 said:
Won't you need to upgrade to larger screws as well??? :shock:

Yes. I used M3 x 8.

Yeah, I was having that issue before (I think...please see video below to help me diagnose!) and I have since added small washers to distance it a bit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAlZM98rDos[/youtube]

SAR104 ---
thats what i was thinking too. only problem is the kit only comes with one set of M3•8 screws right? did you have to order a new set?
not to mention those M3•8 seem to be a little to long. the M3•5 fit flush right to the end of the thread. and there is no safety to prevent the screw from going further. if you has 2mm washer what ended up happening to that extra one millimeter? you could ad another washer but then your gimbal is now touching the ground....
today I'm going to try and buy a 1mm spacer and continue to use the M3•5 screws. not sure if there will be enough thread to hold, maybe with a dab of lock tight too.

:shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
SAR104 ---
thats what i was thinking too. only problem is the kit only comes with one set of M3•8 screws right? did you have to order a new set? :shock:

No - just went to a local hardware store and bought a dozen M3 x 8 socket head stainless screws. Although I did later find a packet of four in one of the boxes. Are those the set you are referring to and, if so, are you using them for something else?

went to the hardware store today and picked up some m3•8 and some small washers. needless to say it was a complete success. i have heard of a lot of people having issues with the gimbal drifting due to friction on the battery.
i am going to make a tutorial how to fix the problem for $ 1.50
and
most importantly there will be no scuffing on your battery where the screws hang out into the battery area.

got the gimbal back on! doing fine so far!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5QVErW ... cMxKR6tbzQ

Kelso Kubat said:
my kit did not come with an extra bag of M3•8 screws. it had m3•5 - m3•10 - m2•6.something and something else. but no m3•8

Oh - I misunderstood. You wrote "only problem is the kit only comes with one set of M3•8 screws right?"

I'm not sure what the M3 x 8 packet that I found came with, but it looks like a DJI bag. It might have been part of the Lightbridge accessories pack.

going through all my stuff and i just released my H3-3d came with M3•5 screws mounted in it.... WTF is up with that? :shock:

Kelso Kubat said:
going through all my stuff and i just released my H3-3d came with M3•5 screws mounted in it.... WTF is up with that? :shock:

Those are the correct screws for normal installation (no spacers).

battery rub absolutely confirmed on mine - all 4 batteries show a circular rub mark. This is on 3 week old Phantom 2. Might be some of my yaw "snap back" issue when panning - we will see.

Added washers, stock bolts with locktight.

My first post on this forum :mrgreen:

Cheers,

UavTechReview.com

Captain Salty said:
Hey - formulaphoto, did you get round to fixing your problem in the original post?

Mine is identical to yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqd1_MpgGkE

Have you noticed that during initialization your gimble hits the plastic retention clip. This may be causing the twitching. Try replacing the clips with something else. I use dental floss, some people are using fishing line or zip ties.

drlodi said:
Captain Salty said:
Hey - formulaphoto, did you get round to fixing your problem in the original post?

Mine is identical to yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqd1_MpgGkE

Have you noticed that during initialization your gimble hits the plastic retention clip. This may be causing the twitching. Try replacing the clips with something else. I use dental floss, some people are using fishing line or zip ties.

Good spotting, no I had not noticed that. Will take it out and check now, thanks!

I removed my pins and use cable ties. I don't think the "twitch" was caused by the pins anyways. It seems to be a normal boot up procedure with the phantom 2...once I'm flying, everything is fine.

formulaphoto said:
I removed my pins and use cable ties. I don't think the "twitch" was caused by the pins anyways. It seems to be a normal boot up procedure with the phantom 2...once I'm flying, everything is fine.

I took the pins out and installed spacers but it didn't help.

I emailed B&H Photography and they watched the video of my gimbal twitching and panning and said it's not normal and they will replace it.

formulaphoto said:
Just upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0.6, and now the gimbal has started doing this:

Mine behaves exactly the same. Once I take off, stable as a rock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4