H3-3D seeing props

If you want the GoPro look, shoot in wide FOV. If you want it to look good, always shoot in medium FOV. It has the added benefit of getting rid of props and legs.

Curious about the lens options. It's my one complaint about the GoPro. I've heard mixed reports on the Ragecam based mostly on price and service. I don't want to get into messing around with the focus of my GoPro though. Sounds messy.

Shooting with my GP3 Black 1080 30fps Medium I almost never see the props. The only time I see them is in forward flight going fast.

poostik said:
Saw that thread before, which prompted me to ask in this thread because there weren't any good solutions offered there. Based on what I've read you really need to get a ND filter on there to kill the shadows. But I'm hoping someone has a can't-miss recipe that anyone can replicate. All I've found are bunch of suggestions that require trial and error.

ianwood said:
If you want the GoPro look, shoot in wide FOV. If you want it to look good, always shoot in medium FOV. It has the added benefit of getting rid of props and legs.

Curious about the lens options. It's my one complaint about the GoPro. I've heard mixed reports on the Ragecam based mostly on price and service. I don't want to get into messing around with the focus of my GoPro though. Sounds messy.
In my limited experience with the GoPro, shooting in medium also minimizes the fisheye effect. If you point the camera straight down from the Phantom with the wide setting it makes things look very distorted.

uscpsycho said:
poostik said:
Saw that thread before, which prompted me to ask in this thread because there weren't any good solutions offered there. Based on what I've read you really need to get a ND filter on there to kill the shadows. But I'm hoping someone has a can't-miss recipe that anyone can replicate. All I've found are bunch of suggestions that require trial and error.

Ahh... I got a much different interpretation of some of the replies in there. Seems like a hood is the way to go to get rid of the shadows. ND is for other reasons like reducing overexposure.

uscpsycho said:
Saw that thread before, which prompted me to ask in this thread because there weren't any good solutions offered there. Based on what I've read you really need to get a ND filter on there to kill the shadows.

This is not correct. All you need to do is make a hood that will prevent the prop shadows from hitting the lens.

uscpsycho said:
But I'm hoping someone has a can't-miss recipe that anyone can replicate. All I've found are bunch of suggestions that require trial and error.

Cut a piece of tape in a trapezoid shape. Stick to top of the GoPor lens. Done.

tom3holer said:
damoncooper said:
Try 2.7k medium FOV.

Just got back from test flying and used that and it did eliminate the props and gear.

I need to do mainly still photos for RE phtography and am trying to find the best mode. This may be it, I have lifted a few frames and will evaluate later today.

Tom

Does it remove the fisheye effect?

JPSLV said:

If you're truly interested in an answer you can spend a few minutes shooting in different FOVs and see for yourself.

You don't even have to mount your GoPro on the Phantom.

JPSLV said:
tom3holer said:
damoncooper said:
Try 2.7k medium FOV.

Just got back from test flying and used that and it did eliminate the props and gear.

I need to do mainly still photos for RE phtography and am trying to find the best mode. This may be it, I have lifted a few frames and will evaluate later today.

Tom

2.7k Med FOV removed props, gear and fisheye yes. It's all I use frankly. It has the added bonus of being able to do small crops and not lose resolution if needed and it looks great. Only catch is you need to use a high speed SDXC card like Sandisk Extreme Plus. I've had frame drops on the other Sandisk cards at 2.7k.

damoncooper said:
2.7k Med FOV removed props, gear and fisheye yes. It's all I use frankly. It has the added bonus of being able to do small crops and not lose resolution if needed and it looks great. Only catch is you need to use a high speed SDXC card like Sandisk Extreme Plus. I've had frame drops on the other Sandisk cards at 2.7k.

+1

I mistakenly bought a Lexar 10x 'High Speed' card which turned out to be not 'High Speed' enough. Using the SanDisk SDSDQX-032G-U46A Extreme Plus cured the problem.

Thx for the answer Damoncooper
ShrillMute-shrimp, keep your useless answers for your Mom

[/quote]Of course not while flying. But after flying the GoPro app is the fastest way to see what you got.[/quote]

I just pop the micro memory chip out and stuff into my Surface Pro and watch the videos without a problem. I can then save the files, delete the files from the memory chip and pop it back into the GoPro.

Tom,

If you're using it for stills for real estate work, why bother with any video mode. A screen capture from video will never look as good as a 12 MP still, which will give you much more crop room for legs/props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers