H3-3d PROBLEM WITH NEW CAM FIREFLY 6S

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just bought the firefly 6S because I was using a go pro 3 white and I'm not so happy of the light quality. I saw many videos of this camera footage and I most say I like it. Colors are brighter. So I mounted it on the H3-3D gimbal, but in order to do so I had to make some small modifications on the camera, because it's 1/5 of a mm wider. So I had to smooth 2 sides of the camera and add a cardboard type sheet behind it, otherwise the side botton would be pressed against the gimbal.
Once I mounted on the gimbal the problems started. I thought the gimbal itself would auto-regulate itself. In fact when I added a filter to my go pro I did not have any issue.
I tried updating the software of the gimbal and the problem is basically that it does not keep the horizontal position. It is horizontal when the phantom is straight but if I bend it as if the phantom is moving sideways the camera align with the phantom and not with the horizon.
I tested the quality at 1080 px at 60 fps, and I must say it is was I expected. Just need to fix this problem. Also sometimes when the camera is facing straight the motors starts making a lots of noise. Anyone had a similar experience while changing the camera??

Reactions: corlene
Hi everyone. I just bought the firefly 6S because I was using a go pro 3 white and I'm not so happy of the light quality. I saw many videos of this camera footage and I most say I like it. Colors are brighter. So I mounted it on the H3-3D gimbal, but in order to do so I had to make some small modifications on the camera, because it's 1/5 of a mm wider. So I had to smooth 2 sides of the camera and add a cardboard type sheet behind it, otherwise the side botton would be pressed against the gimbal.
Once I mounted on the gimbal the problems started. I thought the gimbal itself would auto-regulate itself. In fact when I added a filter to my go pro I did not have any issue.
I tried updating the software of the gimbal and the problem is basically that it does not keep the horizontal position. It is horizontal when the phantom is straight but if I bend it as if the phantom is moving sideways the camera align with the phantom and not with the horizon.
I tested the quality at 1080 px at 60 fps, and I must say it is was I expected. Just need to fix this problem. Also sometimes when the camera is facing straight the motors starts making a lots of noise. Anyone had a similar experience while changing the camera??

The zenmuse gimbals were designed for the GoPro exclusively and were balanced for it's weight. As far as color goes no camera is really perfect when comes to color that is why there are software programs to correct WB, enhance color and do color grading.

Reactions: corlene
I actually had also a very light grinding noise with the go pro when the camera was perfectly horizontal. Now i fixed both problems.
It is horizontal when the phantom is straight but if I bend it as if the phantom is moving sideways the camera align with the phantom and not with the horizon.
I realized I had selected fpv mode in the gimbal menu. Once deselected the camera adjusts to the horizon.
Also sometimes when the camera is facing straight the gimbal motor starts making a lots of noise.
I placed a 10 eurocent on the arm of the gimbal attached with a velcro and voila. It's perfect now, no noise and balanced 100%

I heard a lot of people use google it on YoUTube the firefly 6s with phantom 2 h3 3d it fits perfectly no balancing needed same weight 74-75g only like 1g difference to the hero 4,

Also firefly 6s uses mini usb so that h3 3d u can plug it straight to gimbal and use FPV?

Why did you have to add cardboard etc?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I heard a lot of people use google it on YoUTube the firefly 6s with phantom 2 h3 3d it fits perfectly no balancing needed same weight 74-75g only like 1g difference to the hero 4,

Also firefly 6s uses mini usb so that h3 3d u can plug it straight to gimbal and use FPV?

Why did you have to add cardboard etc?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Sorry for the delay. Saw your question now.
I added a piece of cardboard behind the camera because the button on the side of the firefly (forward and backward button) remained pressed on the metal frame. So by adding cardboard I created 1 or 2 mm more distance and the button does not touch the frame.

Tape a coin to the motor making the noise.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced the problem of the Firefly 6S seeming to be a fraction too large to fit into the H3-HD gimbal. I read elsewhere in this forum that it fit perfectly, but the one I just received today doesn't, apparently. If the edges of the gimble were a bit flexible--maybe. Another writer said it's possible to sand or otherwise trim a tiny bit from the coating on the camera and get it to fit. I'll try that...it is extremely close, so maybe that will work.

Any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced the problem of the Firefly 6S seeming to be a fraction too large to fit into the H3-HD gimbal. I read elsewhere in this forum that it fit perfectly, but the one I just received today doesn't, apparently. If the edges of the gimble were a bit flexible--maybe. Another writer said it's possible to sand or otherwise trim a tiny bit from the coating on the camera and get it to fit. I'll try that...it is extremely close, so maybe that will work.

Any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

It more than likely some have shaved some off the side and bottom to fit onto the gimbal mount and claimed they fit perfectly right out of the box. For my money, it's GoPro all the way has they more to offer me then these low priced knockoffs.

It turned out to be fairly easy, using a razor blade, to scrape off about 1/8" of the black coating around the sides of the camera at the back edge where it should seat into the gimbal.. Bingo..snaps right in and fits great. As the above writer indicated, one of the buttons on the side facing the gimbal motor does come very close to being pressed in by the rim when the camera is seated in place, though it didn't happen to me. Even so, a thin bit of cardboard or paper stuck under the camera will raise it just enough to take care of that.
Now, if the gimbal itself wasn't acting up I'd be ready to go, but that's another question for a different forum :(

It turned out to be fairly easy, using a razor blade, to scrape off about 1/8" of the black coating around the sides of the camera at the back edge where it should seat into the gimbal.. Bingo..snaps right in and fits great. As the above writer indicated, one of the buttons on the side facing the gimbal motor does come very close to being pressed in by the rim when the camera is seated in place, though it didn't happen to me. Even so, a thin bit of cardboard or paper stuck under the camera will raise it just enough to take care of that.
Now, if the gimbal itself wasn't acting up I'd be ready to go, but that's another question for a different forum :(

If the gimbal will not calibrate and lock in place then try a factory reset as in this video and you will have to upload the software for the gimbal.

If the gimbal will not calibrate and lock in place then try a factory reset as in this video and you will have to upload the software for the gimbal.

[/QUOTE

Thanks for replying so quickly...and, in fact, I just wrote a question in the H3-3D forum about having tried the "shorting the two gold pins" solution to resetting it. In short, it was showing up in the Assistant upgrade screen, but after shorting the pins and getting the green/red/amber lights exactly as it was supposed to do---now I don't have the gimbal showing in the Assistant upgrade screen at all!

Plus, trying to reshort the pins just to be sure, now it stays on green and never changes to red/amber again. So apparently something has totally disabled whatever identifies the gimbal as being there so it shows up in the Assistant software, which means I can't upgrade it or do anything. Bummer.

As I mentioned you have to download the gimbals software from the DJI site that was also mentioned in the video. In order get that software you will have to log into DJI site.

If you don't have an account with DJI you will have to do so in order to get the Gimbal software. Also, if when you load your P2 software and get the following message is in this screenshot create an account and a new screen will appear with the software you need.
User Login.png

Thanks for the help. I do have a DJI account and have been able to successfully update the different items when needed. After following the video, I'm at least certain that I went through the steps to reset the H3-3D gimbal exactly as directed...bridged the gold pins and had the green light change to red/amber, etc.

But to restate, the problem isn't updating the gimbal software using the Assistant---the problem now is that the gimbal doesn't even show up in the 'upgrade' tab of the Assistant software!

I don't know why in the video bridging the pins works fine and afterward the H3-3D shows up in the 'update' screen as all 0's and ready to be upgraded, when in my case the gimbal disappeared completely!! It's getting power, but the Assistant software doesn't seem to detect the gimbal is there.

Thanks for the help. I do have a DJI account and have been able to successfully update the different items when needed. After following the video, I'm at least certain that I went through the steps to reset the H3-3D gimbal exactly as directed...bridged the gold pins and had the green light change to red/amber, etc.

But to restate, the problem isn't updating the gimbal software using the Assistant---the problem now is that the gimbal doesn't even show up in the 'upgrade' tab of the Assistant software!

I don't know why in the video bridging the pins works fine and afterward the H3-3D shows up in the 'update' screen as all 0's and ready to be upgraded, when in my case the gimbal disappeared completely!! It's getting power, but the Assistant software doesn't seem to detect the gimbal is there.

That is exactly what happens when a factory reset is done and that is why you have to log into DJI in order to get the software needed to reinstall the gimbal in the upgrades. If you are receiving the login as in this screenshot use it and in doing so a new screen will appear with any uploads you may need including the H3-3D gimbal software. Look, I have had to do the same thing myself when I switched from the H3-2D to a H3-3D because the P2 was still operating on the old gimbals software. You're not alone with this problem once a factory reset was done and in the video, it also said you have reload the software.

By the way, if there are any other updates that come with the gimbal update it's up to you if you want to upload them. Myself, I have never upgraded to v3.14 and never will as I have no intentions of going to DC or Japan to fly of which I do very little flying anymore.

user-login-png.93925

The firmware upgrade you need for the H3-3D gimbal is v1.0.0.12

Last edited:
Still no end of headaches. I've been using the P2 Assistant software, not the RC Assistant software as pictured in your last post, but have been logging in thru it. Signing in to DJI on their web site doesn't provide a way to download the firmware drivers directly (from what I've found), the only way I've known is to log in via the P2 Assistant software (not RC) and then click on the upgrade tab to see what upgrades are available, if any. But since there's no entry for the H3-3D gimbal now, there's nothing to click to upgrade. Maybe I'm totally missing what you're getting at.
Fwiw, I did install the RC Assistant since you showed that login screen in your last post. When I was checking it out, the upgrade shows that there was a new version available (v1.2?) so I ran the upgrade and it failed for some reason and now my remote controller seems to be out of whack. No battery lights...plugging it in it shows the large red led for a minute or two, then that goes green..but none of the other leds light up at all. If I unplug and replug the usb cable it starts all over with the red led again, which turns green,..and then just sits there again. Good grief this is a headache....does the remote have a reset button?

Still no end of headaches. I've been using the P2 Assistant software, not the RC Assistant software as pictured in your last post, but have been logging in thru it. Signing in to DJI on their web site doesn't provide a way to download the firmware drivers directly (from what I've found), the only way I've known is to log in via the P2 Assistant software (not RC) and then click on the upgrade tab to see what upgrades are available, if any. But since there's no entry for the H3-3D gimbal now, there's nothing to click to upgrade. Maybe I'm totally missing what you're getting at.
Fwiw, I did install the RC Assistant since you showed that login screen in your last post. When I was checking it out, the upgrade shows that there was a new version available (v1.2?) so I ran the upgrade and it failed for some reason and now my remote controller seems to be out of whack. No battery lights...plugging it in it shows the large red led for a minute or two, then that goes green..but none of the other leds light up at all. If I unplug and replug the usb cable it starts all over with the red led again, which turns green,..and then just sits there again. Good grief this is a headache....does the remote have a reset button?

Sorry about that I posted the wrong screenshot as I have both the RC/P 2 logins. Here"s the correct screenshot.

P2 Firmware.png

Now if you upload the P2 software and this login appears use it to retrieve the gimbal software. Now if that login in the P2 software doesn't appear but the H3-3D gimbal reappears on the upgrade page as it does in the video use it. If you have tried the upload available in the upgrade page and all you get is v 1.2 that isn't the correct and the upgrade for the gimbal is v1.0.0.12.

I just connected my P2 up to the software and checked to see what comes on screen when I doubled click on my gimbals NO UPDATE NEEDED and this is what came up.

P2 upgrade test.jpg

If you look close at the version it's 1.12 but if you are getting v1.2 as you have indicated then you will have to contact DJI for help.

Quick follow up, and I'll check what you wrote in your last post asap. However, I did get the remote to come back to life, and oddly enough the fix was something I saw in another post. Not sure why it worked, but someone else said that you should uninstall everything on the pc, then reinstall. So I uninstalled every 'assistant' and other DJI software and reinstalled both the driver and the P2 Assistant as well as the RC Assistant. After doing all that, when I ran the RC Assistant again with the remote connected and turned on--it saw the remote and showed an upgrade was available, and this time the upgrade took and the remote came back. Hallelujah!
Now if I can get the gimbal to be seen again in the P2 Assistant, so I can upgrade it or anything, I'll be making progress. More soon..thanks.

Okay, back once again trying to get the H3-3D gimbal to show up in the P2 Assistant software. Below is a screenshot of the upgrade window when I have the P2 plugged in via USB and I'm logged in to DJI. If I understand you correctly, this is where I should be..logged in, at this upgrade window, finding the H3-3D entry, then upgrade the firmware if necessary, etc.

Originally, the H3-3D gimbal was one of the items listed in the screenshot below, but right after I bridged the two pins that should have wiped the gimbal so I could reset it---now it's missing from the list. No gimbal detected at all I suppose. None of the Youtube videos I saw about bridging the pins had this result, they all went back to the P2 Assistant upgrade window and the gimbal was still there and they upgraded it, voila!
If only the gimbal would reappear in my list (sigh)..

ps2-sshot.jpg

Okay, back once again trying to get the H3-3D gimbal to show up in the P2 Assistant software. Below is a screenshot of the upgrade window when I have the P2 plugged in via USB and I'm logged in to DJI. If I understand you correctly, this is where I should be..logged in, at this upgrade window, finding the H3-3D entry, then upgrade the firmware if necessary, etc.

Originally, the H3-3D gimbal was one of the items listed in the screenshot below, but right after I bridged the two pins that should have wiped the gimbal so I could reset it---now it's missing from the list. No gimbal detected at all I suppose. None of the Youtube videos I saw about bridging the pins had this result, they all went back to the P2 Assistant upgrade window and the gimbal was still there and they upgraded it, voila!
If only the gimbal would reappear in my list (sigh)..

View attachment 94045

Try this. With the P2 off and disconnected from the software unplug the gray cable from the gimbal then connect the P2 to its software and power it up. Now with the P2 connected its software and powered on reconnect the gray cable to the gimbal then check to see if it is now recognized in the upgrades. If that works you should also see an upgrade is available then just double key and it should upload the software.

Which Windows OS are you using? Is it the latest firmware? Where do you live?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20