H3-3D on Phantom 1. Is it possible?

And back with more issues. Got the gimbel installed, ran the update with the Naza assistant and then tried to set the tilt control on X1. The red arrow on the X1 calibration screen just jumps around when I hit calibrate. At the same time the gimbel is twitching back and forth in tilt. I enbabled teh gimbel switch in the Assistant. Any other settings to check? Gimbel update is 1.4, P330 is showing 1.1.2.1. Should I be using RC assistant for P1 or P2 since I upgraded my board? I see some people shorting pins out on the gimbel to reset the gimbel to fix this issue. I see some people upgrading the gimbel software again to fix twitching. What a cluster.

UPDATE, reading more H3-3D topics here it appears it's a 50-50 chance you actually get a gimbel that works. Outfreaking standing DJI. All the baloney to get this thing hooked up and then it just twitches like a tuna on a boat deck. $400 for all this? I don't think so. I do hope they take returns. I see DJI takes 2-3 days to even answer their dang customer service emails. Any other drones to use, this POS may be going on ebay real fast.

Did you calibrate the X1 channel in the NAZA assistant?

You won't have any RC Assistant to use, the P1 controllers didn't do it that way (just turn the controller on with both sticks up).

In the Gimbal tab, make sure the range of pitch (X1) shown there is 100 to -100.

I was just helping someone here today set up their new P2+H3-3D and they had the exact same symptoms as you...it took 3 cycles of calibrating the controller then the sticks in the NAZA assistant before the gimbal was responding properly.

Well the gimbel didnt flop around like a fish when I fired it up this time. I still can't calibrate the X1 channel in the NAZA assistent. Now the calibrate arrow is steady and not jittering all over either but nothing.

On the range of pitch, the the only X1 setting for pitch is under manual speed control and it's set to 100. I changed the F2 pitch and it didn't do anything.

Thanks for the help again OI P.

Attachments

• naza_gimbel_settings.png
    naza_gimbel_settings.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 458
Oops, 1000/-1000 is what I meant :oops: Either way that's clearly not the issue though.

I guess you can try calibrating the controller itself, it's what I'd do next anyway. Follow the process in the box in section A5 here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... ual_en.pdf

Just add the step of moving the tilt lever through its full range at the same part in that process where you move the sticks all around. Then calibrate again in NAZA assistant and see if the response is any different.

The gimbel appears to work now except I don't have tilt control. It stays tilted looking forward but the other 2 axis appear to work fine when I move the phantom around.

Did the controller calibration and now were back to the gimbel being a jitterbug. I'm done doing the hokey pokey with this thing. Going back to the dealer and they can send me a new one.

Hello. first post here. I just installed an H3-3D on my Phantom 1 (with Upgraded Board). Very easy, basically removed the old H3-2D and installed the 3D using the plate adapter from the longer legs kit (I did had to take apart the case to re-run the cables thru the new landing gear). Then just screw the 3D into the adapter plate. As for the electrical connections, I used the same 8pin cable that was attached to the 2D and just connect it to the 3D gimbal.
I'm using a Futaba controller and the tilt control is now reversed (from the way it worked on the 2D) but that's no problem a all.
Very recommended upgrade, specially if you already have the Phantom 1 Upgraded Board!

Another note worth mentioning.... My dad had trouble with his tilt lever. The pot was crapping out. Replace it with a 5k ohm linear taper and a knob, and it makes a world of difference.

Thanks Danielhv, the tilt control DJI has is hokey at best. I was suspicious of that lever connection and the pot. I got a 5K linear pot from Rat Shack for $3 and will try that tonight.

Guess who has a working tilt now? ME!!!! The 5K pot change is the cat's pajamas. Calibrated on 1st try like it should. Thank you everyone for the help. Just need a knob to finish the install.

Attachments

• 20140825_230416[1].jpg
    20140825_230416[1].jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 367
Video from 4rth flight with the new H3-3D. I was bucking some gusty winds so I got a few jerky spots. So far I like the gimbel except for the crap security mounting bar that holds the camera in. It broke, not sure from what. No hard landings since I installed it and I dont believe I over torqued the screws. I see there is a company that haa a the plastic clip security mounting bar but only for the 2D. 3D is coming.

GoPro settings: Medium, 1080, 60fps. Pro Tune off.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aBSvVpGl74[/youtube]

Question to all those who have done the P1 upgrade: the leg extension upgrade... is this necessary or just "nice to have"?

I ask because I have a hard case designed for the P1 and I'm wondering if I will have fit issues with the leg upgrade.

If the leg upgrade is necessary how much extra height does it add?

Thanks!

d

The extended legs add 1/2" to height. I found my GoPro was still hitting the ground even with that so I added four 3/4" lexan spacers to give me a total of 1 1/4" additional height to keep the camera and gimbel from getting whacked. I got the spacers from BOWERS95713 at YAHOO.COM. Make sure and take the "at" out and replace with @ in the email address. Spacers were $20 or you can get a better deal if you order other parts like landing skids or parts shelf.

Simple Panda said:
Question to all those who have done the P1 upgrade: the leg extension upgrade... is this necessary or just "nice to have"?

I ask because I have a hard case designed for the P1 and I'm wondering if I will have fit issues with the leg upgrade.

If the leg upgrade is necessary how much extra height does it add?

Thanks!

d
The longer leg extension didn't work for me... Made my Phantom wobble... Try these extensions on your original legs... They gave me enough clearance...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a87019ab6

I got the h3-3d on mine.

The guy at the shop & I decided to do some modding though.

First, we swapped the bottom the case to phantom two case because it has the orifice for the head of the gimbal to go into.
Helipal sells this:

lp-0100-big002.jpg

But since he didn't have it.
We moved my phantom 1 guts to a phantom two shell.

Turns out I needed a gcu , so we installed this one:

dji-h3-3d-big011-1.jpg

Also installed the anti interference board (aka power filter band). Installed it the outside bottom side the phantom.

The larger phantom 2 shell also helped because i can now insert 2 batteries.

Video of the maiden flight:

http://youtu.be/wA2HSLU2Qr4

The flight, with the two batteries, lasted , ironically, 12 minutes.

I put on an h3-3d zenmuse gimbal.
And two batteries.

I weighed the above + the Gopro3+

Total weight: 1,330 grams

Impressive.

hedonist, I'm assuming you don't have the P1 upgrade board in your Phantom? Many of us who have done the conversion (aka "Phantom 1.5") added that at the same time, which takes the place of the GCU for you. Or even the P2 mainboard, which achieves the same thing.

Was that flight with 2 stock 2200mAh batts? 13 min is indeed a good result for those at that weight :)

No I didn't upgrade the motherboard.

Just added the gcu & anti interference board.

Yes, two stock brand new batteries.

problem is there's no battery door lol.

Remember, the phantom 2 battery door is actually the battery ***.

So my door is a lateral latch attached via velcro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers